Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

poeticallyblind

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 10:48am Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
I am so annoyed...I live in Canada, and was just introduced to a great store that has literally every British DVD ever made in it...I found a copy of Boys from the Black Stuff (1980's classic working class tale, starring, among others, Julie Walters)...I take it to the counter only to be told it is Region 2 and probably won't play on my DVD player...argh!

Since we have to suffer the ill-effects of globalization (pollution, resource pirating, etc) why can't we just once get something out of it that is positive...like, say, an international standard for DVD's?

Too much to ask?

Janet

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 11:42am Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
Region encoding has been there from the start unfortunately, it allows the companies to put out staggered releases and charge more in certain areas. Back in the very early days of DVD I got my player chipped and remember ordering a couple of films from the US which arrived just before cinema release here. Partly just because I could and partly because the region 2 set of releases was woeful compared to region 1.

Some players can play disks from other regions by inputting a hidden code via the remote control (look on the net for these).

Having said that, watch out for the fact that some DVDs from different regions will be in PAL as opposed to NTSC and may not play on your TV.

That would be me.

gjhsu

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 2:30pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
I use a Philips 5140 DVD player that I found at Target for $50. All it takes to make it a region-free player is to go to the settings menu and entering a code. I don't remember the code off hand, but it can be found online. Quality is not the greatest, but it converts NTSC to PAL and PAL to NTSC on board.

http://www.target.com/Philips-DVD-Player-Progressi.....amp;page=1

It's actually on sale now for $40!

Frick!

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 9:50pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
I think I have that same Philips DVD player. Found it at Target for about $40-50. It was easy to go online and find the code to make it Region Free. We did the same thing with our previous DVD player. The quality isn't outstanding as gihsu said, but at least we can watch our favorite UK stand-ups and shows.

In fact, I have a shipment coming from Amazon.uk today or tomorrow of Russell Howard, Sean Lock, and Dara O'Briain's latest DVD's. Got my other shipment of Mark Steel, I"m Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Bill Bailey, and Frankie Boyle Live DVD's last week.

And, of course, we have the BlackAdder and the entire ABOFAL as well!!

Frick!

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 9:51pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
Oh, and of course, every DVD of QI released so far!!!!

gjhsu

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 9:53pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
My Region 2 obsession started when I had to have 'Spaced' on DVD.... now it's expanded to QI and others. May need to get Absolute Power some time in the future.

Frick!

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 11:35pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
My Region 2 obsession started with "Knowing Me, Knowing You With Alan Partridge" and Ross Noble's first stand up DVD. Now we've got about 30-40 UK DVD's of Ross Noble, Russell Brand, Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, Fry & Laurie, The IT Crowd, Alan Partridge, The Mighty Boosh, Peep Show That, Mitchell & Webb Situation, That Mitchell & Webb Look, Marcus Brigstocke, and "Goodness Gracious Me."

dulieGirl

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
I'll post it again here since it's come up. Here is the site to hack your dvd player for all region play.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 7:25am Post subject: Regional DVD Formats - Argh!
Or you can buy a regionless DVD player for round $79 USD

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P