Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Just_a_Norwegian

Posted Sat May 26th, 2007 2:11am Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
Hmm.. This book seem not to be mentioned here.. Is it worth buying?

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/405019/Rescuing.....oduct.html

Did anyone see the programme on telly?

Britannicus

Posted Sat May 26th, 2007 2:22am Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
I'm curious as well. I want to read it anyway, as it deals with bears, but my library and local bookstore have failed me. An online order it must be, I suppose...

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

glossyibis

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 2:55pm Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
I bought and read the bear book on my last visit to England. It IS worth a buy for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that a portion of the proceeds goes to spectacled bear salvation.

It is about bears, of course, but heavily features the contemporary history and environment of Peru and Chile, and Stephen's diarrhea. Rather too much information on that last bit.

I had to traverse London from Waterstones on Jermyn Street to another Waterstones in Kensington but the W'stone staff at both ends made sure my copy was waiting for me at the end of my thirsty journey on the tube. Buy it. You'll like it.

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

Norfolkian

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 8:22pm Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
I think it is well worth buying for the beautiful photography alone, but also has the added bonus of Stephen Fry's Peruvian diary.

Actually, rather than try and remember what I thought of it (I read it a couple of years ago now), here are thoughts I wrote in my blog at the time (please scroll past the inane stuff at the beginning of this particular entry...). http://norfolkian.livejournal.com/23590.html

Frylu

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 4:10pm Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
There are 3 reasons:
1. It`s about this cute bears (!)
2. it has , as mentioned earlier, very nice photos inside (!)
3. It´s a Stephen Fry book (!) (!)

melampus

Posted Wed Jun 20th, 2007 8:47am Post subject: Rescuing the Spectacled Bear
I loved the book, especially the description of the night noises of the jungle, but does anyone know what happened to the two bears he 'rescued'? Did they, in fact, have cubs? I tried to check out the website mentioned in the book, but it seems to no longer exist.