Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Lori-O

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 12:07am Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I just finished reading Revenge a few weeks ago and I loved it. However, I was confused by the writing in one very specific part. It is on page 210 in my paperback copy, but I realize that doesn't help many of you. It is in the 2nd chapter break after part IV "Thoroughly Thought Through," the section that begins, "Rufus Cade let himself into the flat and flopped onto a sofa."

The bit that confused me is about a page into that chapter, starting with the line, "Weirdest thing." The 3rd person narration of the story suddenly switches to a 1st person flashback from the perspective of Rufus, with no warning or style changes to set it apart. It goes on this way for about a page and then abruptly switches back, also with no warning. Did anyone else find this jarring and confusing? Or is this my own ignorance and I missed something?

I found it strange and I read that section over and over to try and determine a reason for it. Any thoughts?

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 1:51am Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I don't have the book in front of me... not sure what you mean.

Lori-O

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 2:04am Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I would just type out the section, but it is really long. I would have to type about 2 pages of the book.

Hopefully someone has the book and will look it up.

Panja

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 1:24pm Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I haven't read the book yet, but I just looked up that part. Right before the flashback, it says that he reminds himself that John is coming over, and then by remembering that he starts remembering how he first met John, then when he's done reminiscing, the doorbell rings and John is there. It is a strange switch of perspectives, but it does make sense - to me at least.

Lori-O

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 5:55pm Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
Well I understand what 's happening. I get that it's a flashback about how he met John. But aside from the journal entries, that's the only 1st person section in the whole book. A flashback can just as easily be written in the 3rd person, it happens all the time.

I felt that the switch seemed jarring and unnecessary and I couldn't find a purpose for it. Why switch point of view?

Panja

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 7:11pm Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
Well in that case, I have no idea. As I say, I haven't actually read the book yet, just that little section you mentioned, so it didn't really seem out of place to me. I get what you're saying though, I don't know why he'd switch perspectives like that when he hadn't done it before.

GirdYourLoins

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 1:07pm Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I Love That Book! Its My Favourite Stephen Fry Novel, The First time I Read It Sometimes I got Confused But Im Reading It Again At the Minute and Im Understandin It A lot Better And Finding Parts I Missed The 1st Time.

Apologies For My Over Usage of capitals/// Its A Habit I must Stop!

Lori-O

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 6:19pm Post subject: Revenge ...Did I miss something?
I also loved the book. Any ideas on why he switched point of view in the aforementioned part?