Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

iharrison30

Posted Sun Jul 12th, 2009 11:54pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
I am new to the forum and so would like to take this opportunity to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Ivor Harrison, however my family and friends call me Harry, I am 35 and unable to work. I served in the British Army (Irish Guards) for 13 years and after sustaining a serious spinal injury was medically retired.

The reason for my post is this, I have just finished watching the last episode in Series 3 of Kingdom and thought where better to ask my question than a forum full of Mr Fry fans.

I have been a fan of Mr Frys for as long as I can remember, however when I discovered he had Bi Polar, as I do, I felt a slightly stronger bond. One of the things I have always wondered was why has Mr Fry not been given a Knighthood from the Palace yet. Now I fully understand that not everyone is of the opinion that we should even have a royal family here in the UK, and that is fine. The fact is we do and to be given a knighthood is a high recognition of service. I must say at this point that I am unsure if Mr Fry has been offer a knighthood and turned it down, if he has then just dismiss this question.

I feel that Mr Fry is an absolute icon, and in my opinion the best ambassador that could ever represent this country. A gentleman of the highest standard, I could not think of one better to be awarded this accolade. It seems to me that there are plenty of individuals with the kinghthood's currently, who have no real reason to have them and for the life of me I can't understand why we are not addressing Mr Fry as Sir Fry. Mr Fry has contributed so much laughter and intelligent work to this nation that it seems odd he has not been rewarded accordingly. I know that some people may think that a knighthood is nothing but I just think that he should have at the very least been offered it.

What do you guys think? I look forward to getting to know you all. All the best and take care

Harry

PamJH

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 1:08am Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
Welcome to the forum! A couple of threads have been used in the past to discuss Knighthood for our Fry guy. I think they're on the General Musings section. Anyway, there are lots of varied opinions there so you can get some idea as to what people think. When I have a minute I'll come back and try to give you the links.

I'm an American so my opinion doesn't count for much on this topic. I'd think it was a great honor, though.

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 3:46am Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
I'm going to get into so much trouble for this opinion I bet. And, like Pam, I'll disclaimer immediately that I'm a Yank and probably don't fully 'get' the original intentions of knighting one of your citizens.

That said, it seems to me that there shouldn't be so many knighthoods handed out. I mean, didn't Mick Jagger get knighted? Anthony Hopkins? Knighting celebrities for being entertaining seems like an, excuse me, kind of tarnishing of the title.

I could understand those citizens who have served self-lessly their whole lives...like a doctor tending the homeless and poor...great social works, iow...or scientists who have pushed beyond previous boundaries that add to the betterment of human existence in some way ( cures, exploration, conservation etc ).

But because someone's an entertainer? Yeah, I don't really get that. Unless you have a lot of court jesters in the royal history who were knighted...then it might make a little sense.

I mean no offence to Mr.Fry at all.

I do, however, mean offence to Mick Jagger ( though I love much of the Stones' music ). I think it's silly the guy got knighted, sorry.

Really? Wow.

iharrison30

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 12:32pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
Thank you both for replying and Pam I will certainly check out the other threads regarding this topic.

Nitro you are so right with regards to any Tom, Dick and Harry being awarded a knighthood and I am also in total agreement with you regarding entertainers being awarded such accolade. We have here in the UK a Manager of a football club called Sir Alex Fergson, he himself is Scottish and is quite a foul mouthed individual at times when addressing the press. In my opinion he is one such individual that does not warrant a knighthood.

As far as Mr Fry is concerned, I am not suggesting that he be awarded a knighthood because of his television work, my fault, I don't think I worded my post very well, lol. I do think his television work should be taken into consideration but only very small. His work in the theater, his literary contribution, his work behind the scenes with charities and general reminder to our society that politeness and manners cost nothing, virtues that are slowly fading.

Thank you all once again for replying. All the best

Harry

dottybutgood

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 3:43pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
I do think that he should be given a knighthood, but I would like to point out that he does not always have the most orthodox opinions take his speech at the itunes festival last week, and he does see nothing wrong with swearing. I also feel he has some very sensible things to say, and some ideas that an awful lot better than those of the government, however he has been in prison which I guess would influence decisions.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 8:54pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry
however he has been in prison which I guess would influence decisions.

Hmm..but he wasn't in for a terribly long time was he? And if that is an influence, that even further undermines Jaggers credibility as any kind of 'Sir'!! The dude shot heroin for years and it's well documented and admitted to.

This is not to say I think that not having led an angelic life or having some bad decisions in ones past should immediately disqualify them...the charitable acts are of course a positive character trait...still, there's something about knighting someone who is, essentially, an entertainer I find odd....but I'm not doing the knighting, which is just as well X-D

Really? Wow.

annafdd

Posted Thu Sep 10th, 2009 7:15am Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry

Yes, I have been wondering the same thing too, Harry (and hat off to you, btw!). He may have turned it down, sure, but I can't see why. He's not a rabid Republican as far as I know. I mean, Terry Wogan is Sir Terry Wogan, is he not? And Stephen, hell, is a television, cinema, radio, Tweetter celebrity, and a very good writer on top of that. He has done charity work, has helped a lot of people just by being so candidly, graciously open about his life as a gay man, as a bipolar, as a humanist - hell, as an Apple fanboy! He shouldn't be given a knighthood, he should be declared a national treasure!

So Stephen, if you did turn it down, please do us a favour and accept it the next time they come knocking - this country needs to see more people like you recognized, and less people like Sir Fred Goodwin. And as for the good people at the Palace, although I understand it's the PM office who does the suggesting, could you perhaps give him another gracious nod?

Oh gosh I am mixing my metaphors now, and on Stephen Fry's blog of all places!

mr8kc

Posted Wed Sep 16th, 2009 9:46am Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry

Morning All.

As I understand it, a knighthood is given to a deserving soul for their services to the community. This can be in any area where people are clearly helping others, whether through entertainment, charity work or public service.

Alex Ferguson was knighted due to his long service in football, both in Scotland and south of the border. He has spent much time doing charity work (Preshal Trust, Bryan Gunn appeal, Multiple Sclerosis). He has also helped a huge number of people make a life in the game through developing an outstanding academies at Aberdeen and Manchester United.

Anthony Hopkins was knighted for his services to the arts as well as a huge amount of charity work. The Welshman was president of the National Trusts Snowdonia appeal to help them purchase parts of the national park to save it from development. He has also worked with Women in Recovery in Venice, CA.

I think these two examples show that modern day knights of the realm are worth the title. You can go back and look at historical figures who were knighted and make the same claims against them.

Drake sack and plundered his way through Spanish cities in Florida and the West Indies.

And lest not we forget - The noble Sir Dagonet. Court Jester and Knight of the Round Table.

angulimala28

Posted Fri Jan 8th, 2010 2:56pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry

iharrison30 said:
I feel that Mr Fry is an absolute icon, and in my opinion the best ambassador that could ever represent this country. A gentleman of the highest standard, I could not think of one better to be awarded this accolade.
Harry

I couldn't agree more...... Stephen Fry is my hero.... I both love and admire him..... Diane xx

Diane x

kind friend

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 10:38pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry

Stephen fry is a role model of good manners and intelligence.It is refreshing against the other celebrities we see on telly,concerned purely on appearance and image.I am particually grateful that he has spoken out about his bi-polar experiences,making people like me(diagnosed with bipolar thirteen years ago)more excepted and understood in life.Many preconcieved ideas about mental illness spread through the world like poison.I am not stupid,lazy and certainly not evil nor putting on any kind of act.Thanks for your real help to get rid of the stigma of bi-polar disorder.GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR VALUABLE WORK,WELL DONE FROM ALL OF US.

tuliratsu

Posted Thu Dec 16th, 2010 2:02pm Post subject: Rise Sir Stephen Fry

Old topic but I found this petition on Twitter.
So if you agree - sign this and retweet to your friends!
People in great quantities make a difference!!!
http://twitition.com/e2qu3

Don't throw porridge in my face. That's completely over. Finished. Done with. Over and finished with. Done over with. Finished. Over. You understand! Finished over with. Done.