Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Drac0

Posted Tue Feb 7th, 2012 3:45pm Post subject: Road to Recovery: My blog updates

Added a few new articles to my blog over the last couple of days that some might find interesting:

Depression is an illness, not a life choice: Kim Lester from ABC Australia recently posted a story on The Drum about her own experiences with depression & suicidal thoughts.

Vitamin D to fight depression?: Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to depression, according to UT Southwestern Medical Center psychiatrists working with the Cooper Center Longitudinal Study. It is believed to be the largest such investigation ever undertaken.

Excessive gamers more depressed?: Victoria University recently published a report from preliminary studies that seem to show that gamers who average 33 hours a week or more playing may have higher levels of anxiety & depression than those who play less frequently.

Fight Stigma: Stamping Out the Stigma of Mental Illness: Discusses the stigma of mental illness & lists a number of myths associated with mental illness.

Mind Over Matter: A recent press release by the Association of Psychological Science has suggested that what the sufferer thinks of their illness (ANY illness) plays a large roll in determining their health outcomes.

Traumatic experience, silence linked: People who suffer a traumatic experience often don't talk about it, and many forget it over time. "There's this idea, with silence, that if we don't talk about something, it starts fading." says Charles B. Stone of Belgium's Universite Catholique de Louvain, the co-author of a study on the subject.

Facebook: Is this any place for the not-so-self-assured to make friends?: Facebook, the social networking giant that connects 845 million people to one another, may be a jolly gabfest for the self-assured. But for those who suffer from low self-esteem, it appears to be a rather nasty trap, luring such people into self-disclosures that prompt many a Facebook friend to agree with their low opinion of themselves.

Hope someone finds these useful.

Cheers

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

Drac0

Posted Tue Feb 7th, 2012 6:00pm Post subject: Road to Recovery: My blog updates

A couple more updates:

Time To Change: Make a pledge!: Time To Change is an organisation dedicated to ending mental health discrimination & the stigma surrounding mental illness. They are currently running a Time to Talk campaign to encourage people from all walks of life to speak out on mental health issues.

Blood test accurately distinguishes depressed patients from healthy controls: News release from Massachusetts General Hospital

Cheers

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z