Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:44am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
My husband brought home a Rubik's cube yesterday. Goodbye, sleep.

It's half past midnight, and I'm stil up, proving to myself that I lack anything even remotely resembling spacial visualization and reasoning skills. What's most disheartening is that online guides to solving a Rubic's cube tend to start with the phrase "We assume you've already assembled one of the faces and are now looking for completion."

I've been twisting and twirling this son of a bitch for nigh two hours now, and I've yet a single solid color facet to show for it. It doesn't help that the cube has markings on top of the solid colors, like numbers 1-9 or various keyboard key signs like "F6" or prompt words like "Menu" or "Help". So now I always know if I've assembled a color face with half the color pieces "upside down" and am forced to assemble them properly from the get go.

It's just not going to happen, is it?

What is this magical ability that some people have to visualize these sorts of geometric manipulations? I seem to lack that entire part of the brain. A classmate of mine in high school had a dance routine where she'd go up on stage in a tutu, have someone toss her a scrambled Rubik's cube and reassemble it between plies and pirouettes. I don't know if it was a political statement about math and femininity or whether she was just showing off, but the routine took about three minutes, and then the solved cube was brandished to the audience with a curtsy.

Are there areas where you are, for all your other talents and abilities, a complete and total bloody moron, like yours truly? Come join the self pity party. Fermented sour grapes all around.

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:54am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
As a child i peeled the stickers off in order to complete the puzzle. I was very young. I always enjoyed rubik's cube, but i enjoyed the rubik snake more. It was a lot easier but also more fun when completed, it became a kind of plastic football you could kick around. And break.

I haven't done the rubik cube in years, might have to dig one out.

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 9:16am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I enjoyed Rubik's cock.

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 9:16am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
That's correct, I said cock.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 9:19am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I had a Rubik's cube when I was little. I never managed to assemble the whole cube, only one or, rarely, two faces. My mother then had enormous fun to complete the cube in no time. I don't know if it was inability on my part or just plain old impatience. But my mother's always had a knack for puzzles of all kinds. She just knew how she had to twist the cube in order to get the colours right.
My brother solved the problem very elegantly: He dismembered the whole cube and then reassembled it.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 9:30am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes

My brother solved the problem very elegantly: He dismembered the whole cube and then reassembled it.

Yeah, that was my husband's approach to the previous Rubik's cube he owned. XD

"Truly spectacular results were demonstrated by policeman Petrov in the annual IQ test given by the Moscow Police Department to its employees. Upon being presented with a Rubik's cube, it took Petrov only fifteen seconds to eat it."

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 9:41am Post subject: Rubik's cube woes

"Truly spectacular results were demonstrated by policeman Petrov in the annual IQ test given by the Moscow Police Department to its employees. Upon being presented with a Rubik's cube, it took Petrov only fifteen seconds to eat it."

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 2:41pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I just matched up a side on my cube last week

My mom has a Rubick's Homer Simpson head. It's shaped like Homey and you have to twist sections of his face into something other than a Dali-esque freakshow.

I'm a complete and total bloody moron in so many fields that I don't know where to begin.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 3:02pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I just matched up a side on my cube last week

I'm a complete and total bloody moron in so many fields that I don't know where to begin.

Well done, you!

Dali-esque as in

OMG, the size of this pic

Well er - sorry, I have no memory for names - ah, Fryphile: a) I can´t believe that you are such a moron, and b) in case you still disagree, I am certain you are a gentleman and let a lady go first (unless, of courses, you are as much a gentleman as I am a lady, in which case I will defend top spot tooth and nail) and c) you are VERY GOOD at bringing a smile to my face - that is more than most people achieve these days...

amlee

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 4:38pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I remember throwing huge tantrums over that stupid thing when I was little. Then my uncle took it apart and put it together again, all perfectly finished, and I thought he was so smart for having thought of that. X-D I wanted him to teach me. I guess I've always looked for shortcuts.

boffinbabe12

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 5:25pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I can't click or wink. It has always distressed me.
I also don't understand how people can play badminton and tennis! How do they know whereabouts the ball is going to go and how long their racket is??? It baffles me!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:25pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
Fryphile: a) I can´t believe that you are such a moron, and b) in case you still disagree, I am certain you are a gentleman and let a lady go first (unless, of courses, you are as much a gentleman as I am a lady, in which case I will defend top spot tooth and nail) and c) you are VERY GOOD at bringing a smile to my face - that is more than most people achieve these days...

a) I'm not smart enough to be a moron

b) Aww, thanks!

c) Aww, thanks part 2!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:29pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes

I can wink with my left eye, but not the right. I really wish I could raise one eyebrow. That always looks so cool.

boffinbabe12

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:31pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes
I really wish I could raise one eyebrow. That always looks so cool.

Same here! I just end up looking like a constipated weirdo if I try and raise an eyebrow.
That's a point actually, the phrase "Raised a few eyebrows" suggests that most people can actually do that....

trouser material

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 7:32pm Post subject: Rubik's cube woes

Its quite easy, really.

I also don't understand how people can play badminton and tennis! How do they know whereabouts the ball is going to go and how long their racket is??? It baffles me!

I used to play both a LOT when i was a child. You need an aptitude to it to excel. Plus a lot of practice.

Of course, the real reason is that everyone knows girls can't play sports.

etc