Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MrMarker

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 11:28pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
I've heard that Saturday Live is finally getting a DVD release. I do hope this is true as, if memory serves, there were some cracking Fry and Laurie sketches on there.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Feb 8th, 2007 5:59pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
Oh I really hope this is true. I thought it would never happen. I've seen the odd sketch here and there, mostly Dangerous Brothers ones and would love to see more of this show. There's so many people who've worked no it that I'm a fan of and would love to see their early work.

Assuming direct control...

MrMarker

Posted Thu Feb 8th, 2007 6:36pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
I have quite a few on ropey old VHS but from what I gather they'll be releasing them in complete seasons. The first seson each had a guest presenter, and then after that it was hosted by Ben Elton. I can't wait!!!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2007 10:37pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
Has anyone else bought this? There's loads on it packed onto two discs. I love the style of the show, the set and the opening sesquence. It's all so 80s.

Lots of Fry and Laurie sketches including one where Stephen and Ben Elton are dressed as nuns, one where Stephen is operating on Hugh and pulls his organs out and one at a work do which ends with Stephen and Hugh snogging and hugging and ending up on the floor.

Quite a few Dangerous Brothers sketches on there including Flying Zebra and Fun with Electricity! Bloody brilliant!

Emma Thompson even does a bit of stand up talking about how sanitary products can be advertised on tv but you can't say what they are or what they're for.

Quite a few angry poems by Craig Charles. Pretty cool.

Quite a lot of other alternative including the Oblivion Boys, French and Saunders and a lot of Ben Elton's standup (*groan*).

Most delightfully Peter Cook's sketches are all here including my utter utter favourite - Interesting Facts.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jul 4th, 2007 7:02pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have vagure memories of seeing Patrick Marber, Mark Thomas, Caroline Aherne (as a nun) and Bill Bailey (in the RObber Bishops) on Saturday Night Live for the very first time. Wasn't Tony Hawks in it quite a bit too?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Jul 4th, 2007 7:24pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
This thread's about Saturday Live not Saturday Night Live. Sorry John. Saturday Live is the British version from the late 1980s. There was also Almost Saturday Live and Friday Night Live. I've never seen Saturday Night Live so I don't know who's been on it.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jul 5th, 2007 9:48am Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
I know! I just got the title wrong. I AM talking about the British show, not the American one.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jul 5th, 2007 9:26pm Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release
I thought you were talking about the other one because I didn't recognise the first few names and I didn't think Bill Bailey would have been on it. I didn't think he started back in the 80s.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 15th, 2007 11:13am Post subject: Saturday Live DVD Release

Patrick Marber was one of the "Day Today" team, also appearing in Paul Calf's Video Diaries and "Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge". He's now a playwright and the film Closer was an adaptation of one of his plays.

Caroline Aherne was Mrs Merton, a member of the "Fast Show" team and co-creator and star of "The Royle Family".

Tony Hawks had a minor novelty hit in 1988 with "Stutter Rap", a parody of the Beastie Boys. He also had a number of cameo appearances, including the compere in the "Red Dwarf" episode "Better Than Life" and later the voice of the talkie toaster. He is now the successful author of some highly amusing travel books: "Round Ireland With A Fridge", "Playing The Moldovans At Tennis" and "One Hit Wonderland". In the last one he tries to overcome the fact that Stutter Rap was his only hit.

Mark Thomas...don't you remember "The Mark Thomas Comedy Product"? He was like an English version of Michael Moore in that, only much funnier and much more politically radical. Try and find some clips on YouTube if you can.