Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

artgal

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 10:30pm Post subject: Saving Species from extinction
Just thought I would mention that it is the 50th anniversary of Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust who through pioneering captive breeding projects have saved a number of critically endangered species from extinction.

There is an exhibition event from 22nd - 29th March at the Beetles Gallery in Duke Street, St James's, London SW1 (gallery space kindly donated by Chris Beetles). The exhibits are for sale and have been donated by Richard Dawkin's wife Lalla Ward so that proceeds go straight into conservation.

If any one is interested in coming along then it will be fascinating. The illustrations by Lalla were done for Richard's books and he has hand written annotations to the exhibits - they all inspired from their trip to the Galapagos islands.

All very darwinian but should also be very interesting and loads of info on the great work that Durrell are doing!

PamJH

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 10:37pm Post subject: Saving Species from extinction
Very cool. I wish I could see it. I am, however, going to a lecture by Richard Dawkins tonight at MSU.

artgal

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 10:42pm Post subject: Saving Species from extinction
Very cool. I wish I could see it. I am, however, going to a lecture by Richard Dawkins tonight at MSU.

Well that should more than satiate your Darwinkin appetite !!

Enjoy

borneansunbear

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 3:22pm Post subject: Saving Species from extinction
Hi, interested to see exhibition - durell Conservation Trust. If there is anyone interested in helping an endangered species please join our new charity, Sun Bear Conservation Trust - we are a small group of mainly ex-volunteers who, after seeing the Bornean Sun bears during our placements in Borneo and working together to raise awareness and funds - at present a new conservation centre BSBCC is under construction at Sepilok (site of Orangutan Rehabiltation Centre) and we are busy raising money and doing events for this. You can find out more about the sun bears at:- http://sunbears.wildlifedirect.org/
Please contact me if you are interested in helping these little-known (and smallest species) of bear.