Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:35pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
I'm doing the first paper of an exam tomorrow and i'm nervous as hell. I thought of asking for your support and best wishes, but then I had a better idea. Why not open up the thread so that anybody can ask for support and best wishes, whatever they're worried about. It could be anything from an exam or an operation to a first date. Whatever worries you, post a message on this thread asking others to wish you well - not necessarily with a reply, but in their hearts. I noticed the thread http://stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032 has the same sentiment.
Love to you all. I'm shitting bricks.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:44pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
ALL THE BEST JOHN STEED

I´ll be crossing my fingers for you and holding my thumbs (that is what we German speakers do ), hoping I´ll be able to untangle my fingers after tomorrow

I am certail you´ll be fine....... have faith in yourself

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:48pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
I won't say a prayer as that will have no effect but hey, BOOM SHANKA!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:51pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Doesn't that mean "may the fruit of your loin bear seed in your woman's womb?". Thanks, meeky, but it already has!

meekychuppet

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 12:52pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
"May the seed of you loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman."

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 1:08pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Let me explain a bit more about why this exam scares me.

1. I haven't studied for it formally - I'm entering as a private student. It's English Language A level (AQA) and they don't offer courses for it here in Poland, but there's a school where I can take the exam. I've tried doing past papers and I either go over the time limit or go mad at the materials, which I find inadequate.

2. I have to leave extra early in the morning as the exam centre is in Warsaw. I have to go alone as my wife is pregnant and will be due any day. My Polish isn't that good and I'm going by train and taxi. I'll have to find my own way there from the station.

3. We have a little stray dog to look after at the moment. We have a big dog and 2 cats already, all girls, and this little boy has little boy's instincts. He's cute enough but I hope we find his real owner soon as he's incredibly dependant on human company.

4. I'm a teacher myself and my own students have their exams in about a month, for which I have been preparing them since October.

5. Exams are expensive and I don't have a great salary here. I was ready to quit 2 days ago, but I can't back out now without losing the money.

Sorry to burden everyone with this. No need to reply, just send your wishes tomorrow morning. As I said, this thread should be open to everyone with such situations to face, however big or small.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 1:17pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
BEST OF LUCK AND SUCCESS, JOHN STEED!
I trust you're fully prepared and competent and do not have to worry, but hell yes, I know about being a bundle of nerves myself. What always helped me, though, was to imagine that the actual exam was just another mock exam, some kind of dress rehearsal, and that the 'real' exam was yet to come. This sounds rather silly but the mere imagination that it was ok to muck it up since it wasn't the real exam yet, took away so much pressure that I was much calmer and more confident and did rather well.
I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

A nice idea to dedicate a thread to support and good wishes

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 1:52pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
All the very best John Steed !

You sound like a very gifted and resourceful person, I cannot imagine this beating you.

By the way, thanks for the happy memories of Poland your request brought back to me ! I send the warm feelings back three fold...

Nazdrowya ! ( I think )

F.F.

AxmxZ

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:26pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Good luck!

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:34pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
I'm doing the first paper of an exam tomorrow

Me too! RE GCSE though, not nearly as frightening. I'm not shitting bricks, either.

I'm crossing my fingers, my arms, my toes, legs, hairs, and anything else I can think of! Not my eyes, that gives me a headache.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:37pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Best wishes to you, curtains. Funny thing is, I did my English GCSEs in 1989, no revision because I was a lazy bugger, and got 'A' for them!

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Best wishes to you, curtains. Funny thing is, I did my English GCSEs in 1989, no revision because I was a lazy bugger, and got 'A' for them!

Wow!

I'd really love to get an A* just to make my teacher proud, because she is so unbelievably fantastic. I reckon I could get an A if I work hard enough...

Thanks for giving me hope! X-D

I have to do an English Lit paper too, about Of Mice And Men. A great book and, weirdly, made better by the over-analysis. I reckon Slim's gay. My friends think I'm obsessed. I think they're blind!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:45pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
It's lovely when you have a teacher you fell like that about.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 2:54pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
It's lovely when you have a teacher you fell like that about.

It really is... I want to be a teacher myself so they're great to talk to about that stuff. Luckily I've never had the belief that teachers have no life and they live in the school and they don't have friends and all that, because both of my parents are teachers. That makes it easier to talk to and appeal them as people and get out of detentions!

moominpin

Posted Wed May 16th, 2007 3:19pm Post subject: Say a little prayer, think of me, cross your fingers...
Best of luck! I did and English Lit A level (they didn't offer language)...you'll find the examiners are kind with the questions than you realise