Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

arrianne

Posted Thu Oct 15th, 2009 12:49pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

I don't know if this is some virus that's nestled itself into stephenfry.com or if it was just coincidental that it chose this page to load itself on, but today when I clicked on my link to the latest blog in my favourites bar I was immediately redirected to a webpage that looked similar to my My Computer page. This page told me I had loads of viruses and trojans and all that gubbins on my computer, and linked me to a file to download to get rid of them, called SoftSoldier.

Now, I'm normally a very suspicious person on the internet, but I wasn't concentrating, and clicked the link. In my defense, I was scanning my computer with a different programme at the time, and assumed that had just popped up in front of my current window. Anyway, on looking about the internet it seems this thing "is a rogue anti-spyware program that deliberately creates fake malware files on your computer in order to trick you into thinking they are infections", according to http://news.loaris.com.

So, just a warning and a highlight that this might have been this page that triggered it?

Julia from Bristol

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 7:17pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday by clicking the 'Is it clear' thread! We had someone out today to clear the blasted thing & damn me, I clicked my alret message to look into the thread again & the same thing happened!

Can we have some explaination please!!

I have a cunning plan!

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 9:56pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

Just to say that for a few days my anti virus program AVG wouldn't let me into the site because- well...I'll let it tell you why:

http://twitpic.com/li5vl

As much as I trust the site I didn't want to let my computer be less secure so I didn't ignore AVG. Though, after a few days it let me back in again. But then again today, I had a strange window come up asking me if I wanted to install a programme that closed the Firefox window I was browsing the forum in. I was so freaked I did a scan and my computer is well, thankfully. I didn't think much of it but it is worrying if it's not just me having problems.

Pretty much since the upgrade I've had this site close my Firefox when the ads load, and I can only access the site again when the ads have changed over. It's really dependent on what ads there are.
http://twitpic.com/i1sl5
However, this might just be me. To be honest, it doesn't bug me too much, but I'm just giving you the information in the hope that it'll be helpful. I completely get that adverts are needed.

It might be helpful to ascertain what antivirus and spyware protecting programs people have on their computers. I have AVG, Zonealarm and Ad-aware. Alas, no pop-up blocker (though if you can recommend me a good one for Firefox...I've been through loads..and does that still mean the site gets revenue if we block the ads?...Anyway)

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

Soph

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 10:08pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

Same thing happened to me with my AVG, mp. I had and still have no idea what went on there. It wasn't just the forum that I couldn't access but the site in its entirety. It doesn't seem to be a problem now but letting you know it isn't just you, pretty certain it was the same day.

Photobucket

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 10:28pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

Yes that was the same for me Soph, the site in its entirety. I came at the forum from every possible angle :P. But that is interesting that the same thing happened to both of us. I'll let you (and the forum) know if it happens again here (or with any other site).

What I think it was trying to block is the thing that happened to me today and happened to arriane and Julia also.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

Julia from Bristol

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 10:29am Post subject: SecretSoldier

James the pc man said that AVG is fine. We had turned the pc off & when it was turned no again the next day, AVG had cleared the soldier messages. What James did for us was to clear out the spyware that we had, most coming from adverts.

My concern is the link to this forum.
Which threads were you all looking at? Perhaps it's one thread rather than the whole site. I have PM'd Simon to ask him to look at this thread!

I have a cunning plan!

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 12:38pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

That's good Julia. It's happened to me on a variety of different threads. I think it's more to do with how the adverts 'turn over'; in that it's a specific, dodgy advert that when the adverts change on the site to that one, that's when we have problems. I would say that I know the team has got a lot of work on so I think we really need to be patient - I know they will look at this when they can. If we are all aware of this, and make sure others are aware of it, we'll be okay.

PEOPLE OF THE FORUM, AT NO POINT DOWNLOAD THE SPYWARE/MALWARE THAT COMES UP WHEN BROWSING THIS FORUM. THE SAFEST THING TO DO IS TO CLOSE THE WINDOW AND START UP YOUR INTERNET SESSION AGAIN.

I would recommend not pressing yes or no on the dialog box that comes up, but rather pressing ctrl, alt and delete and ending the process (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) in task manager. If like with Firefox you get the option to reinstate your tabs when you next open your net browser, make sure you DO NOT re-open the malicious one, start browsing the forum again from your bookmarked link / http://www.stephenfry.com .

AVG was on the case again for me today:
http://twitpic.com/m0ass

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 2:12pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

I also had the same problem a couple of days ago (large presumably fake anti virus popup window), I wasn't sure exactly what caused it, but I shut things down and restarted. Since I'm using a mac I assume that I'm ok but it's best to make sure.

That would be me.

Soph

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 6:44pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

This just happened to me while browsing the forum! It looked like it was my My Computer page and it was downloading something. I paniced and switched off the computer. I've been kicked off from using the home computer now. I hope I haven't broked the computer. Oops.

Photobucket

tito

Member *

Posted Sun Oct 18th, 2009 7:19pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

My security just blocked this same thing, before I was logged in and just browsing.

Scanned to be on the safe side.

Am a bit worried by it.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 8:39am Post subject: SecretSoldier

Headline news here in the UK! There are lots of people being caught by it!

I have a cunning plan!

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 9:08am Post subject: SecretSoldier

On other sites too?

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 9:11am Post subject: SecretSoldier

Yep! Right across the internet so it's not just this site! Advice is don't click on anything other than DELETE!

I have a cunning plan!

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 9:17am Post subject: SecretSoldier

Thanks for the info. That's a relief. I mean that it's not just here.

monochromeprincess

Posted Mon Oct 19th, 2009 5:48pm Post subject: SecretSoldier

Did you read that online Julia? Have you got a link? That's interesting (although worrying).

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow