Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nigehunt

Posted Mon Dec 1st, 2008 9:23pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Hello Stephen,
I have just listened to your most recent Podcast, only to find it is a pre-cursor to anything of value and that value now has a requirement for money! Being new to the 'New Adventures of Stephen Fry' i happened upon the Podcast via itunes, with it being No.2 in the most popular downloads. Feeling very shortchanged with the Podcast i thought the back catalogue of podcast are available so i downloaded them only to find it was Stephen Fry telling us in minute detail everything he has been doing, with no real content to speak of ! Surely this is just self indugent dribble? As interesting and witty and inteligent as i find Stephen Fry this is not.
Nige

gjhsu

Posted Mon Dec 1st, 2008 11:54pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Yes, they are quite self indulgent.

But, if one has the means for such a production, why not give it a go? I believe anyone can make and distribute podcasts.

Do take them for what they are, however. Perhaps they should be slapped with a label reading 'For entertainment purposes only'

nigehunt

Posted Tue Dec 2nd, 2008 6:29pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
At least your post made me laugh!

michael

Posted Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 9:00pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Hello Stephen,
I have just listened to your most recent Podcast, only to find it is a pre-cursor to anything of value and that value now has a requirement for money!

he pays for this site and the space for our forum, so he just paid to listen to you.

you got to listen to him for free!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 9:21pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
well said, michael.

nigehunt

Posted Fri Dec 5th, 2008 5:42pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Oh if it were true that he actually read any posts on this web-site i might conceed! He may have paid to read my post today, but it is you that will be paying soon!

michael

Posted Fri Dec 5th, 2008 5:48pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Oh if it were true that he actually read any posts on this web-site i might conceed! He may have paid to read my post today, but it is you that will be paying soon!

do you mean money or was that a threat? X-D

if so, you're like the 2nd or 3rd person on the forum in 2 weeks that's joke-threatened me!

i'm beginning to feel like sherlock holmes...when folks keep barging in and threatening him as if they are the first to come up with the idea and he says, "haha, you're funny, close the door on your way out cause it's cold and i guess you were raised in a barn. think i'll straighten out this fireplace poker you thought you were so awesome at bending up. Nite nite."

do i release some wierd pheremones or something?

....he does read some of it btw!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Dec 5th, 2008 10:03pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
I don't know what you are complaining about. I'm tired of people just popping in to whine, moan and complain because they are feeling *so* exploited by greedy, greedy Stephen. It's not that anybody has some birthright to a site and forum as generously set up, maintained and paid for as this one. We are spoilt rotten. If you are invited do you actually walk through your hosts' house and criticise the interior? You don't like it, no problem, there's the door. Besides, the question of paid-for-content has been discussed at length and it has been repeatedly made very clear that the site itself, the podgrams, blogs, club fry, and the forum remain free.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 7:53am Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Amen Soupy

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

ClareBear

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 11:11am Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Enough, don't reply to him anymore.....

people like this do my head in.

adidas_fella

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 1:22pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
Surely having ones own website it's meant to be a lot about yourself? Stephen has inspired me to recently create my own website and yes, there's a lot about me and my views! It's like everything in life, if you don't like it, simply walk away from it X-D

Nitro

Posted Sun Dec 14th, 2008 3:44pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
My only problem with your post Nige is that you go from addressing Mr.Fry directly to talking about him as if he's not in the room, and I wish you had used a little better grammar. I don't care about anyone complaining or criticizing because Mr.Fry, if he feels offended, certainly doesn't need my help to defend his honour.

He has a fine command of language and I'd bet, if angered enough, he could scorch the flesh off your bones with it X-D

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 8th, 2009 4:11am Post subject: Self Indulgent?

He has a fine command of language and I'd bet, if angered enough, he could scorch the flesh off your bones with it X-D

And probably reapply it your bones. Anyway, the site is free and so are the podcasts. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but many people here in America want the best and the latest and they want it for nothing or next to nothing. Actually, I would pay a small sum for the podcasts, if necessary.

Jedi3784

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 2:48pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
...I have just listened to your most recent Podcast ... Being new to the 'New Adventures of Stephen Fry' i happened upon the Podcast via itunes, with it being No.2 in the most popular downloads.

ME TOO!! Wahooo!!

...and what a ride, bravo Stephen, keep them coming.
I thoroughly enjoy all things Fry, from Qi to spectacle bears and find Stephens particular and quite personalized mode of delivery both entertaining and informative.

I found the podcast on 'Language' very useful, I only wish my current lecturers had Stephen's charisma and eloquence, then perhaps I would pay far more attention.

Thanks

P.S. I do not have posters of Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Che, Lennon or Lenin, however I do have a 'Rocky' Poster in my bathroom and I once owned a Laural and Hardy Poster, LoL X-D

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:15pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
I found the podcast on 'Language' very useful, I only wish my current lecturers had Stephen's charisma and eloquence, then perhaps I would pay far more attention.

I was blessed with a professor of Archaeology that positively lit up the room with is enthusiasm for history - it's very infectuous when you have a lecturer who sounds like he loves his job. Of course, it always captivated me that he looked eerily similar to David Bellamy.

On the subject of self indulgence, considering the site is owned and maintained by Mr. Fry, why shouldn't the content be somewhat self indulgent? Isn't the purpose, after all, to inform friends, family and fans alike of the current events in his life, as well as views?