Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 12:05am Post subject: Self Indulgent?
I found the podcast on 'Language' very useful, I only wish my current lecturers had Stephen's charisma and eloquence, then perhaps I would pay far more attention.

I was blessed with a professor of Archaeology that positively lit up the room with is enthusiasm for history - it's very infectuous when you have a lecturer who sounds like he loves his job. Of course, it always captivated me that he looked eerily similar to David Bellamy.

On the subject of self indulgence, considering the site is owned and maintained by Mr. Fry, why shouldn't the content be somewhat self indulgent? Isn't the purpose, after all, to inform friends, family and fans alike of the current events in his life, as well as views?

I had a college history prof who was like that, as well as a high school literature teacher. Both knew their material well and presented it in exciting ways. They both were open to opposing viewpoints which is a lot more fun to listen to than simply absorbing what's being prattled forth.

Self-indulgent - maybe a bit, but as you say it is his site. And I, for one, am enjoying myself immensely here.

Benjamin

Posted Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 7:20pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
He's making a vlog. Everyone else gets to talk seemingly irrelevent drivel about their own lives, so why can't a man who - let's face it - is more charming, articulate cultured and interesting than many - have the same privelage?

To be honest, I'd happily listen to him talk about patterns in fecal matter and remain enthralled.

I'm a histrionic, holistic, herculean halibut.

CLICK TO SEE MY BRAINS.

dottybutgood

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 3:55pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
It cannot be said that he is so self indulgent and wants to gain too much from us, in his itunes festival speech last week he said he didn't mind pirating of his work if you can't afford to buy it and know what you are doing is wrong and intend to do right in the end. He is no fool.

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 6:19pm Post subject: Self Indulgent?
It cannot be said that he is so self indulgent and wants to gain too much from us, in his itunes festival speech last week he said he didn't mind pirating of his work if you can't afford to buy it and know what you are doing is wrong and intend to do right in the end. He is no fool.

No, he isn't. He knows he can't stop the tide so why try?