Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

jemmo

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 7:50pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4

BTW what were those things Peter kept in his umpire's jacket pocket? What are they used for in cricket? Can someone explain in ten words or less how to play cricket?

In cricket, there are usually 2 designated bowlers in play at any given time. One is responsible for bowling at one end of the pitch and (funnily enough) the 2nd bowler has responsibility for bowling from the other end.

6 balls are usually bowled in what is referred to as an 'over'.

When 6 balls have been bowled from one end of the pitch, the 2nd bowler takes over and bowls 6 balls from the OTHER end.

Stay with me...

Umpires traditionally have small stones (or something similar) in their pocket. They have 6 of them. They move them from one pocket to the other to keep count of how many balls have been bowled - it's as simple as that.

Umpires have a lot to think about to make sure that the strict rules of cricket are being adhered to, as well as closely watching each ball as it is bowled. It's not very technical, but counting stones has been proved, over the years, to be the most effective way of keeping count.

Sometimes you can see an umpire toss a stone from one hand to the other and then put it in his pocket. Peter Kingdom did just that.

Does that make sense ?

Sorry, can't explain cricket in 10 words or less. No-one could.
But how long have you got ...???

BTW, I love cricket. I was brought up with it, as my father used to play in a local team and later we used to go to Test Matches. BUT I don't profess to be an expert by any means. Thought I'd say that...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 7:58pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Gerti said:

jemmo, thanks for sharing this piccie with those who cannot watch Kingdom

But not for long...*grins*...

huh? what's the grinny fer?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 8:17pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Thanks jemmo and banjo. The fog clears a little. How hard is the cricket ball? Like, baseball hard? Must hurt like hell on a jetski to try and catch it.

So, when a batter hits a ball and it rolls out of the ring, that counts as four points. Is it possible to hit it within the ring and still score more than four points by running back and forth? And the only way a batter can be out is if he hits a ball that is then caught by the opposing team or if his wicket is struck? Can he be tagged out while running from wicket to wicket? Is it three outs and they switch like in baseball? And why is Stephen so hot as an umpire?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 8:20pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
So that's what Peter was doing with stones in his pockets. I wondered what that was about. Thankyou for explaining that stuff jemmo. I kept meaning to look it up. It left me totally baffled when I came across it in The Liar. *searchesongoogleandperuses* It's not as confusing as I expected it to be now I've bothered to look it up (I really must stop procrastinating I've been really bad lately). It's the words that threw me off but they're just different ways of saying similar things that I recognise from other games.

Assuming direct control...

jemmo

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 8:21pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Gerti said:

jemmo, thanks for sharing this piccie with those who cannot watch Kingdom

huh? what's the grinny fer?

Just a grinny hand of friendship, banjo.
And a cunning and devious plan to rectify my European friend's Kingdom situation.

jemmo

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 8:54pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Thanks jemmo and banjo. The fog clears a little. How hard is the cricket ball? Like, baseball hard? Must hurt like hell on a jetski to try and catch it.

So, when a batter hits a ball and it rolls out of the ring, that counts as four points. Is it possible to hit it within the ring and still score more than four points by running back and forth? And the only way a batter can be out is if he hits a ball that is then caught by the opposing team or if his wicket is struck? Can he be tagged out while running from wicket to wicket? Is it three outs and they switch like in baseball? And why is Stephen so hot as an umpire?

To try to answer your questions, Fryphile:

1. The ball is made of cork bound by leather and yes, it's as hard as a baseball. When it's travelling at 90 miles and hour or so it can kill you if it catches you on the head. Lots of cricketers get broken and split fingers when catching/fielding the ball. There are techniques for catching balls safely, but every so often....ouch !

2. When a batsman/woman hits the ball and it passes the 'boundary' (that circles the cricket pitch) but the ball touches the ground at least once (by bouncing or rolling) then they automatically score 4 runs. IF however, they give the ball a real crack and knock it outside the boundary and it's never touched the ground, they score 6 runs.

If you look closely at Peter's hand motions, you can see the difference with his signals (look for the bit with Scott playing). If he sticks a hand straight out and then sort of 'swipes' it across his body, that signals a 4. If he puts his hands up in the air, that's a 6.

3. It IS possible to score more than 4 by just running. Sometimes the fielders mis-throw it to each other and it gets dropped. The batsmen/women can keep running for as long as they dare !

4. Yes, a batsman/woman can be 'tagged out' whilst running from wicket to wicket. We call it being 'stumped' - because the three vertical bits of wood are 'the stumps'. If these are hit before a batsman can get his bat to a certain line that's marked on the pitch (just in front of the stumps) then he's out.

5. There is another way a batsman can be out. it's called 'leg before wicket' or LBW for short. This is where it is crucial for an umpire to watch the ball when it's being bowled.

If a bowler bowls a ball and it hits the batsman but he misses it with his bat...and... here's the crucial part...if the UMPIRE thinks that, had the ball carried on it would have hit the stumps, then the batsman is out LBW.

Umpires MUST keep their eyes on the ball until it is actually hit for this reason. If you've ever seen a televised cricket match, you may have heard a shout go up from the fielding team of 'Owzat?' (how's that?). This means that THEY think it's an LBW and they are asking the umpire to make an LBW decision.

6. Unlike baseball, if a batsman is out, he's out. No second chances. The umpire signals with one hand by pointing at the batsman and off he goes back to the changing room. Another batsman then walks out and takes his place.

7. When you ask about Stephen being 'hot', I don't know how to take that.
Do you mean, 'is he hot because the umpire wears hats/jumpers that the bowlers/fielders have discarded for a while because THEY are hot' ? Or do you mean, 'why is Stephen so HOT' ? Heh.

Phew...I need a coffee !

Hope this helps.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 9:08pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
*gives jemmo one of Jeeves's restoratives*

I'm almost ready to play now!

And Stephen is hot as in HAWT

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 6:42am Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4

*gives jemmo a friendly thankful hug*

jemmo

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 3:15pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Just for fun...
What does this umpiring signal mean ?

as demonstrated so beautifully by the HOT Mr. Fry...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 3:25pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Sir! Sir! I know, Sir! Oh, please, Sir!

Or Ma'am.

It means six (what are they called? runs, points, crumpets?) have been scored because the batsman hit the ball out of the field of play without the ball bouncing and rolling out.

And that Stephen has confidence in his underarm anti-persperant.

jemmo

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 4:14pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Sir! Sir! I know, Sir! Oh, please, Sir!

Or Ma'am.

It means six (what are they called? runs, points, crumpets?) have been scored because the batsman hit the ball out of the field of play without the ball bouncing and rolling out.

And that Stephen has confidence in his underarm anti-persperant.

It's Ma'am, Fryphile, and you are QUITE CORRECT !
Well done.
Stephen would be proud of you - and you should award yourself an enormous (if imaginary) cricketing hug round the shoulders from Mr. fry. I'm sure he'd do it if he was standing next to you on a cricket pitch.

Want another ?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 4:17pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
As Pat Benatar once passionately exclaimed, hit me with your best shot!

jemmo

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 4:28pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
As Pat Benatar once passionately exclaimed, hit me with your best shot!

Er...sorry...don't know who Pat Benatar is or was...that's MY English ignorance, no doubt.

Anyway...

Peter is looking down the pitch at the batsman and pointing. What does THAT mean ?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 4:52pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Have you heard this song before? *rocks out*

Let's see . . . that means that Stephen's about to GLOMP the batsman? IS HUGH PLAYING

That means the batsman is out. Wasn't he bowled out in that episode because the ball hit the wicket?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 5:03pm Post subject: Series 2, Episode 4
Wow, jemmo, you are so knowledgable about cricket *goes green with envy* *goes back to the previous page and re-reads jemmo´s cricket crash course... "

What is more embarrassing: not being able to get one´s head around basic cricket rules or knowing Pat Benatar ? :-//

Please keep the questions coming, jemmo, if only for the lovely pictures accompanying the "exam"