Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 21st, 2008 4:19pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
I think I may need the weenis protection program.

i believe the better known abbreviation of the name is "wee pee pee."

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 21st, 2008 4:49pm Post subject: Sexuality Test

"Oh could I just touch your weenis for a second there. Oh. Ah. Oh yeah. Bygones."

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 3:19pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
I don't see any value in the creation of a sexuality test. I'd be alarmed if such a thing ever came about and was taken seriously. I don't see any value in labelling people and trying to categorise them. Sexuality isn't as simple as you're gay, straight or bi. There's a lot more to it then that. For the individual a test would be limiting their true self. For society it's trying to simplify something that cannot be simplified. It's not black and white. There are no easy answers and if that's what you want you're not going to find that here. Sexuality cannot be quantified. You can't reduce it down to basic variables like it's what we see. When you're attracted to someone it can be many many things. Little things that are hard to explain and it all builds together to create the attraction.

As for whether homosexuality is real or not do you ever go out and ask ducks if they're faking it? If they're using their homosexuality and necrophilia as a mask?

i don't need to know if i am gay or straight, i just need to know if i am in love. and i think that's something I know as I experience it...but I will never know ahead of time and I cannot take a test for it. (and it's very different every time)

I couldn't agree with this anymore.
I don't really think it makes any difference if you're gay or straight if you're in love then that's all that matters.

I agree with this too. I don't put a label on myself regarding sexuality because I can never know in advance who I'm going to be attracted to and to me it's not important. What's important is love. If you place a label on yourself and find yourself attracted to someone who doesn't fit into that how do you deal with it? I prefer to go with the flow and see where my heart and feelings take me not worry about some stupid label.

X-D X-D X-D

even better with your bannana avatar, steedy.

Loona does have a good point about love and sexuality.

amyl nitrate once directed me to a page online with all sorts of different spectra explained...and if you had the time, you could graph the ways you prefer your physical relationships, romantic relationships, partnerships, etc etc. and how you see yourself...gender, sexuality, etc.if i can't find it, maybe she could repost it...though i haven't caught any of her posts lately!

Here be link: *clicky*

Going back to an earlier point where someone says sexuality is simple as the food you like. Well my 6 year old son vehemently insists he doesn't like pasta, but 5 minutes later he's eating a bowl of tagliatelle

So? Young children say things like that all the time. All the time. It doesn't mean anything or prove anything.

As for marriage people have marriages which clash with their sexuality and attitudes to romance all the time.

Assuming direct control...

wildfire

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 11:00pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
- There's no need for a formal sexuality test any more than there's the need for a formal marmite test - you try it, you find what works and you go with it.

tea drinker

Posted Tue Jun 17th, 2008 9:22am Post subject: Sexuality Test
article from the BBC -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7456588.stm

I think the study of sexuality is fascinating, and if there were answers, then I'd rather know.

wildfire

Posted Tue Jun 17th, 2008 12:22pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
neuroscience is fascinating - I can imagine somehow of taking my living brain and tracing out a circuit diagram of it - that would read " neuron #1 is connected to neurons #2 and #3 with strength xx and propagation delay xx, it needs a potential of xx mV in order to trigger..." and so on enumerating all of my braincells.

assuming there's no spiritual aspect to how we operate in our day-to-day lives, such a circuit diagram must capture the essence of who I am, yet the meaning of the circuit diagram would be completely opaque - you couldn't tell from the instructions whether I prefer tea or coffee, boys or girls, etc. short of building a whole new `wildfire' and seeing how it behaved.

I guess the reason I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a sexuality test is that for most of history, our society had the mindset that "gay=wrong", and quite a few people especially in the older generation have kept that mindset while pretending to tolerate it. e.g look at the storm in the teacup over two gay priests having their union blessed in a church (story in the UK news this week). Heaven forfend that gay people exist and can even enter a
church without being mote from on high!

My concern is that we're going to get some loony deciding that they can "cure" homosexuality or that they should offer a test to "screen" unborn kids against it.

I read a short story once - feels like it should have been written by Kurt Vonnegut - that explained there were in fact seven distinct sexes including homosexuals and celibates. The normal human classification only identified two, but each was actually essential to the successful completion of reproductive process, and the attempt to "weed out the poofs" in the story led inexorably and inexplicably to global extinction.

OK I'd better stop rambling now.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jun 17th, 2008 4:36pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
well ahm a rahmblin maaaaan.....

um...

oh, i read this book about quantum physics and computers and brains. apparently if you set up a computer, not like the ones you use at your desk but a computer that's...whatdyacallit...parrallel...parallel ....it explained in the book. plbth. anyways, the computer does it's own programming ..sort of...you give it a goal and it tries to get there through trial and error. anyways, researchers put together one that made its own "circuit board" to detect a pitch. and when it succeeded, they looked to see what it did, and it made no sense to them. because there were connections and paths that it didn't need, but if you removed or changed any bit it wouldn't work.

anyways...i want to read a book about brains. because i've read about quantum physics and a little about how it's possible that, even though the little bitty things going on in quantum physics aren't supposed to alter the lives of big humans, our brains may have an interesting ability to multiply those effects over and over. well, it's possible and some people think that may be the case. i don't know if it's proven. if so, then even though our brain synapses seem like circuit boards, our lives and thoughts are not determined by cause and effect.

if this sounds like i know what i'm talking about...i don't...i just read enough that i am very very curious about it. and you reminded me of that...

SEXUALITY though, HEY
DID YOU KNOW

male bison often mate with each other?
and many bison are born intersexed? apparently quite a few, and people think maybe that's where many native american dances and customs that involve androgeny come from.

HUH.

tea drinker

Posted Wed Jun 18th, 2008 12:21am Post subject: Sexuality Test
I wouldn't want there to be a cure for homosexuality. I only want to know for self affirmation

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 18th, 2008 3:19am Post subject: Sexuality Test
i know sometimes a person wants to know for sure...and i understand that in some ways it's helpful if we can prove that gay people are born that way.

to be honest tea drinker, i'm a little torn between two ideas. i'm drawn to the idea that our brains are different at birth, esp. considering i feel like i am a boy and it's very hard to explain that to people, but i also believe everyone has to find out who they are for themselves through their own experiences, and that it happens with some free will involved. i'm not a very good philosopher :-//

AND..by the way...rereading my last post, boy, that was kind of off topic! i'm sorry. i was excited about the buffalo and the electrons. i hope you didn't think i was making fun of you, not at all... i've just been reading a lot about particle physics. and eating a lot of bison meat.

Desdemona

Posted Wed Jun 18th, 2008 10:05am Post subject: Sexuality Test
Banjo, i enjoyed that post alot.

Currently i am at school, in geography *tuts*, well my friends spotted the title of this thread and searching on the internet have found some cheesey test for sexuality. O__o i can see why some want comformation in their sexuality, but i also know that it definatly cannot be defined or restricted to a name. I take comfort in knowing that i definatly am not straight, but i do like both sexes. (apparently i am a full on lesbian, yet i have a boyfriend) But i think i will never know my true sexuality till i fall in love, and that may never happen.

Take it or leave it, we are how we are. ^__^

Skip Life and come with me?

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jun 18th, 2008 9:10pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
This whole bit is why I really appreciate the work of Kinsey. Still can't believe that research was done in Indiana.

As a bisexual I think its important to have a standard of measure to reaffirm you like the Kinsey scale but I certainly don't need a test to know what I feel.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

harbour

Posted Fri Jun 20th, 2008 12:07pm Post subject: Sexuality Test
Very eloquently put, Russ.
As Wilde said, "to define is to limit".

I sometimes wonder whether any of us (male or female) can honestly say they've never at least been curious or dabbled in thoughts about homosexuality (or heterosexuality for those of us labeled as 'gay'). So many people, whether they admit to it or not, have experimented on various levels with friends of the same sex. How would that input enter into such a test? Does it change anything about our sexuality if some act upon their natural impulses while others repress them?

We're so conditioned to compartmentalize, to fool ourselves into thinking we know and understand everything and thus have a handle on life and the world we live in. But sexuality is such a wonderous and mysterious thing, as is the human mind. How could we ever be so arrogant to assume we truly understood something so complex?

Still, some very valid questions came up here, and some intriguing responses. I appreciate anything that gets people thinking

(This is coming from a 26-year-old 'straight' female, by the way. And yes, I can count having had same-sex relationships among my many other wonderful experiences in life.)
-anna