Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 1:33am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Anybody else like it? Some of the episodes are more than twenty years old now, but I still think they're fabulous.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 7:14am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
I HEART IT VERY VERY MUCH.

i have every one. i have a framed picture of jeremy brett in my living room. when i was about 14, i thought he was just the greatest. i wanted to write to him, but i was afraid to. (??) a few years ago a friend of mine admitted she watched all of them as a teen, too. we started looking up stuff about him online and i wished i HAD written him.

i got a little overboard in my excitement and printed up a bunch of stickers with him on it that said all sorts of phrases... like "my hero" and "make him a knight" and went out late to all the pubs and put them all over the place. there's still a few around. i also made some flyers and folded them into airplanes and threw some through open kitchen windows. must have been summer...

anyways, yes.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 10:54am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Best. Holmes. Ever.

Also a damn good Freddy Eynsford Hill.

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 3:40pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Being a My Fair Lady fan, I also knew that he played Freddy Eynsford Hill.
He didn't sing the whole part, but he was actually a very good singer. I think there's a video of him on YouTube singing on some variety show.

Banjo, I'm glad to know you were as obsessed as I was. I first watched the Holmes series in 1991, when I was about 10 years old, and I LOVED him. My mom had a colleague who was a member of the Holmes Society. I remember she used to wear a lapel pin that said "221B Baker Street," and she was able to provide me with a lot of info about Jeremy Brett--including the sad fact that he was an alcoholic. I didn't learn until recently that he was also bipolar.

Yes, he was the definitive Holmes.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 5:29pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
i didn't know he was an alchoholic... never saw that on "brettish.com".
possibly self medication. his interviews are fantastic, he always goes off on some flight of fancy like how his dog mr binks always appears in his dreams to save him from nightmares. or how he found an earring in the park and started wearing it because he figured it was a gift from someone up above.

one of the last things he did was for a radio awareness campaign for manic depression. i'm going from memory here, but i can find the info online. it seems like he would've continued on that route had he lived longer.

he was in a filmed play called "on approval" and it's not on dvd. but someone posted a scene from it on youtube. i've read he played a dr who villain, is that true?? steed might know...actually, it might have been some show called "galactica"??

everytime i see him in something that's NOT sherlock holmes, it's really strange, like some fabric of spacetime has ripped. he was able to add so much to the character without altering the stories.

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Mon Nov 19th, 2007 5:43pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett

he was in a filmed play called "on approval" and it's not on dvd. but someone posted a scene from it on youtube.

If I'm not mistaken, "On Approval" was on Masterpiece Theater in the early 80s. I never saw it. I believe Brett was also in "The Good Soldier," adapted from the Ford Madox Ford novel of the same name. This was on Masterpiece Theater in either the late 70s or the early 80s. I've not seen this either.

It is really weird to see him in roles other than Holmes.

So sad that he died. He wasn't young, but he wasn't old. :'(

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Nov 20th, 2007 7:48am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
I'm almost certain he was NOT a Doctor Who villain as he would have been so damn glorious and memorable, like Derek Jacobi was this year. I think it WAS an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Nov 20th, 2007 7:28pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
he's not a very convincing villain... no matter how hard he might have tried.

i saw this bad movie he did after retiring from holmes and he played a drug kingpin of some sort! but he wore the clothes he would have worn to an interview . his lines were so wierd... something like "darling, i shall have to break your legs!"

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Nov 22nd, 2007 3:00pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
I absolutely loved Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Holmes. I feel he played the ' real ' Holmes with all his facets and insecurities. It just added to the sense of genius being an essentially complex thing.

I had the great pleasure of seeing the stage play " The Secret Of Sherlock Holmes" shortly before Jeremy died. My greatest regret was not trying to go back stage and basking in his prescence.

For me, it will always be the definitive portrayal.

LauriM

Posted Mon Nov 26th, 2007 1:34am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
I actually own a few of the seasons on DVD. I think he makes one of the best Holmes.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Nov 26th, 2007 10:10pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
once i found a pic on line of jeremy brett wearing leather pants!! and he wasn't young!!

i wish i could find it again....

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Tue Nov 27th, 2007 2:15am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
once i found a pic on line of jeremy brett wearing leather pants!! and he wasn't young!!

i wish i could find it again....

Oh my Christ, I want to see that. I've seen some pictures of him wearing weird things--like pictures of him as himself, not dressed up for some role. I suppose they look weird because I'm used to seeing him in the Holmes suit.

He was hot.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Nov 27th, 2007 4:26am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
they based a whole line of mannequins on him!!!

sorry. i'm into the big letters today.
check it out...

CLICK HERE FOR
the short explanation...

more to come...

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Tue Nov 27th, 2007 4:15pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Wow, I had seen some of those pictures before, but I never knew the story. That's rather...weird...and funny...and gorgeous!!

Saturn

Posted Tue Nov 27th, 2007 8:16pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
He was Holmes, no one else even comes close to his magnificent portrayal.

I grew up watching all those TV adaptations and reading the original short stories too and since I've seen numerous adaptations of Holmes but Jeremy Brett was just perfect casting, perfect acting. One of those serendipitous situations when an actor is born to play a particular role.

I remember being upset when he died, he was a real hero