Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maren

Posted Fri May 2nd, 2008 1:51pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Thanks Loona - I'm sure I will enjoy it, and I'll try to avoid the dubbed version (I know it can't be as half as good as the original...)

CollectorManiac

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 2:34pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
I am madly in love with Jeremy Brett xP
He IS Holmes
Undoubtedly
I'm saving up for the boxset mmhmm
It's just so good

flywheel

Posted Sun Sep 7th, 2008 12:40pm Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
Basil Rathbone - looked very much like The Strand illustrations - but he never was Holmes, I still enjoy those old films by the way.

Jeremy Brett didn't look much like the Strand illustrations, but he was Holmes - like I've ever seen.
Suddenly Holmes was not just a brilliant detective, but a man in flesh and blood, a geek with only one real friend, no close family (I wouldn't consider Mycroft really close, just family), with vices - with fears and anxiety issues, insecurity and nervousness. He has his job, his profession and not much more than that. When there where no mysteries to feed his little grey cells, he was a total wreck.

When I read that Jeremy Brett did suffer from bipolar disorder and that he had been hospitalized a few times - I couldn't say that I was surprised. He really was Holmes.

I see many of the same weaknesses in character like Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammer) - which I also love. Perhaps because it reminds me a bit about myself.

Oh well, I bought the boxset a few years back and once in a while I give it a spin in the old DVD-player.
I know that it was the butler who did it, so actually I should be as bored as a pacifists pistol. But instead I still disappear into these mysteries in an almost intoxicating way - just as I did when I was a mere child and read the stories.

laura

Posted Tue Sep 9th, 2008 10:44am Post subject: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett
My love of Wilde, Wodehouse and Waugh has naturally drawn me to being interested in the work of SJF, and it was reading his 'Moab ...' that got me interested in the Holmes stories.
I felt that as our tastes were pretty much identical in lots of other things, it followed that SJF could be relied upon to point me in the direction of other books worth reading.
I never read the Holmes stories as a kid, but a couple of weeks after finishing 'Moab...' I got the complete Holmes stories - over 1100 pages! - for 59p in a charity shop! That was definitely a useful bit of serendipity. I have since finished it cover to cover, and after the first few pages, adjusting to the writing style, period, etc., I lapped it up.
A few weeks after that, I watched the first episode of the Jeremy Brett UK telly versions online at http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/888944/, and was smitten. The craggy looks! The elocution! The Victoriana! The cute coupleyness of H&W! It's odd, and lovely, to see actors who so closely embody what you imagined the characters looked like, too.
Anyway, I now have the complete set of the TV series, and am trying to pace myself by watching them as slowly as possible. I've read that the TV shows deteriorate along with Brett, so I'm a bit worried about that, but for the moment, I'm still relishing the heady days of the first season.
I just can't believe it took me so long to get into Holmes. As Jeremy would say, 'a most ex-ter-a-ordinary set of circumstances!'