Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 8:51pm Post subject: shopping
this is such a petty thing to moan about I know but I hate it but I hate clothes shopping the most. I'm coat-less at the moment (my own fault) and I was wandering round the shops in my lunch break looking at coats and jackets and gaaah i hate it. the whole process, having to decide what to try on, queueing to try it on, getting in and out of your clothes (well not in the case of coats :P), agonising about whether or not I can afford it (I'm supposed to be saving up to go travelling which isn't exactly the same as being on the poverty line but it's always on my mind when I spend money), feeling stupid looking at stuff that other people might think is horrible, or think would look stupid on me, queueing up at the till, walking round with loads of bags and stuff...haha I'm such a whinger but I really do hate it. So I end up wearing the same clothes forever

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 9:29pm Post subject: shopping
i hate it too.
i have moaned about this enough on this forum,
that i love menswear and it never comes in my size... unless you go to a more expensive shop.

i have gone from being a tomboy to totally binding down my breasts and only wearing guys clothes, slowly... i can afford to only buy a new item or two a month...

i can never find small used mens' clothes, and so i go to sales at (gasp) the gap... and hope for the best. it's awkward sometimes... i know it's hard to explain without sounding paranoid, but i really cannot go clothes shopping without being stared at. either guys want to know what i'm doing in their clothes or girls want to know why i am in their dressing room. i can be tough for awhile and say "this is who i am i don't care what anyone else thinks" but sometimes, no matter how strong i feel, it's no fun to be stared at. especially when people get really curious and i realize they are staring at my crotch.

that happened to me on the street once, and then the guy looked at me like he wanted to take my face off.

the gap, the reason i go there.... lots of gay boys work there and they don't think i'm wierd. i don't know why they all work at the gap, and only straight people work at american eagle. go figure.

whatonearth

Posted Fri Nov 2nd, 2007 11:06pm Post subject: shopping
that's shit. i can only relate to that in the sens that i always feel really ugly compared to most people who i see in clothes shops, so I just feel stupid buying anything that could make me stand out even a tiny bit. plus i have no sense of style so i'm lost right from the start doesn't binding down your breasts get uncomfortable? there must be some places on earth where you wouldn't be judged by that kind of thing, at least i would hope so. but people can be really bizarre sometimes. it's hard not to want to look at something you perceive as 'different', but there is absolutely no need to be rude.

anyway yes, shopping seems to be such a favourite hobby of so many people but to me it's just a combination of everything I hate to do the most. i don't mind buying things like books and music so much but even then the cheapskate in me tells me off for buying them when i've already got plenty of books already...i'm basically just ebenezer scrooge in the body of a 21 year old female, that pretty much sums it up!

Selma

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 1:51am Post subject: shopping
I've got the money problem too, as do many of us 21-year-olds. The reason shopping annoys me is that when I'm looking for something I can NEVER find it. The trick is to keep an eye out and just be prepared to buy something if it is perfect, because at some later point you're bound to need it and once you start looking for it...

Another thing I can't stand is that everything has to be so modern and ugly. What has happened to taste (in this country at least)? About the only shops I ever find anything I like are junk shops. As for clothes, it's a rare thing when fashion just happens to coincide with my taste, and there's no WAY anything will be available if it's not in fashion.

I once got this wonderful tweed jacket at (of all places) Just Jeans. A once in a lifetime find. I bought it on the spot, though at the time I didn't need a jacket, and I'm glad I did because I certainly needed it later. And now it's wearing out and I can't find anything to replace it, of course.

We would all like to look less shabby than we do, too. I was having this conversation with my mother this morning, and when we really looked at the people around us we realised that most of them look pretty shabby as well. It's only the really nice looking people we take any notice of, which proves that no one will notice if you look shabby. I was just saying how I'd love to win a large sum of money which I was only allowed to spend on clothing, because as it is, travel is my priority, meaning I don't buy clothes unless I really have to.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 2:27am Post subject: shopping
I'd like to join the whinging lists of clothes-shopping hating people. There is no experience better programmed to make you hate yourself as clothes shopping.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 3:18am Post subject: shopping
I just came back from the mall where I bought a splendid pair of corduroy trousers and a dress shirt that actually kinda fit. My problem with clothes shopping is that I do it too often. One of my bosses at work calls me a "clothes horse" cuz I catwalk in a new shirt every other week or so. I'm probably just masking my depression by spending prodigously. Oh well. At least I'll look good when I'm bummed out

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

seasun545

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 8:57am Post subject: shopping
Curious thread indeed...it brings back memories of my last job. I hate go shopping too, specially when I get on weight and I hate the girl in the mirror and everyting looks awful on me. Now that I´ve slimmed down, I have no money to spend....shit!!
It happens that Im fashion designer and part of my job is "go shopping". That means I go shopping all over the world with my company´s credit card for two or three days: London, New York, Berlin, Milan, Paris, Barcelona.... Can you imagine how amazing is spending 5000 pounds in just one day shopping in London or 10.000 $ in New York??. Energy, Diesel, Miss Sixty, Quicksilver, Pepe Jeans, Rare, Guru, Ralph Lauren....coolest brands, exquisite qualities, and best part is you don´t have to try on, just pick it up and pay for it, just beautiful clothes from best shops and more expensive brands....wow, that was really good, I miss it!!!
Worst part is you get use to that clothes and, of course, you want to wear them but you can´t afford them...It´s a kind of torture, but anyway, it´s so cool...oh, how I miss it!!!! :'(

joan

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 2:17pm Post subject: shopping
Very gratifying that so many people hate shopping as much as I do, especailly for clothes. Nothing works for me except shorts and tshirts, or jeans and jumpers, with sandals or joggers. Hair is another problem: I feel out of place and out of my depth at the hairdressers, like an imposter or something. When my son was going to get married in a big cathedral wedding (it's all off now), my friends all wanted to help me buy the 'mother-of-the-bridegroom outfit. I've been spared - phew. (after that scare I told both my sons that if they ever marry their girlfriends it had better be a back garden low key affair)

I once got it right: I was 17 and Mum was worried I was too tomboyish. In an attempt to get me to be more feminine she got my big brother to take me to a dance. I was too stingy to buy a dress so I got some material and tried to make one. Not being an expert I just got the pattern, and pinned it together inside out, put it on, adjusted the pins to my exact shape and sewed it. The result was a sexy clingy dress, which I did not recognise as such myself. I was utterly astounded at the interest it engendered, and ended up going out with an architect wigh a red MG sports car. (didn't last) (me and him I mean, not the car)

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 2:22pm Post subject: shopping
I used to like clothes shopping. I liked actually going to some bricks and mortar stores, looking around, getting good deals. Now I don't care for it.

As I get older, I find that I really want comfortable clothes more than anything else. B/c of my profession, I have a number of suits, which I hate wearing. However, I'm not working at the moment, so I can wear whatever I want. My preferred outfit is jeans or khaki pants and a button down shirt, not tucked in.

My problem with shopping is that I just don't like anything I see in stores anymore. So much of it is tacky--ugly colors, weird designs. I'm petite too (about 5'3"), so it's hard to find things that fit. I started to use L.L. Bean a lot. Their catalogs and the online store have a ton of stuff, and it's classic-looking stuff in nice colors. That's where I get my slacks and button down shirts. I also go to the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet stores and get their oxford cloth shirts on sale. (Not sure if you have LL Bean available in the UK?)

But shopping for anything else? Forget it. It's a pain.

I used to be a real shoe collector too, but I've stopped that. I'm happy with the shoes I have. I would rather wear clogs than the ridiculous stiletto heels that I see a lot of women wearing these days.

whatonearth

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 4:00pm Post subject: shopping
well i'm very glad to hear i'm not the only one who hates it this much i thought i was weird, being a girl and all I was always under the impression that I was supposed to love it...

selma - wow you sound exactly like me! well as far as shopping/travelling goes. hmm i went to the travel agents this morning and the guy who I had the appointment with was very attractive, it was a bit of a distraction although i can't actually remember what he looks like now, oh well. I'm going to take on board your advice for buying stuff even if I don't need it straight away, there were quite a few things I liked in the shops a few months ago but now I'm looking for a few wintery things there's nothing! I wish I didn't have such conservative taste in clothes sometimes. Although I hate looking through shops where everything isn't presented really well, I can't do the whole rifling through sale stock trying to find a bargain, I haven't got the eye for it at all.

I hate the hairdressers as much, if not more than, shopping too. Imposter is the perfect word, the whole experience makes me feel very uncomfortable which is the main reason I only go about once a year, get a load chopped off and let it grow out for as long as possible.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 4:20pm Post subject: shopping
Ah! Mockingbird! How can you not like the hairdressers? I admit it's a march through hell to find a stylist you like but once you do -- well -- for me it's heaven. I leave feeling so fresh and clean and sharp and with my shoulders and scalp freshly massaged!

whatonearth

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 4:40pm Post subject: shopping
haha i just hate staring in the mirror for an hour looking all pasty and horrible and how stupid i look with wet hair being flung all over the place, and having to decide what kind of haircut i like and stuff. although the hairdresser i go to at the moment, although it's kind of expensive and she doesn't always cut my hair exactly how i like it (i'm bad at explaining as well), is pretty good. the woman who cuts my hair is lovely and they massage your head and give you a cup of tea and everything, so that makes it more bearable, but i still don't like it!

oh the woes of 21st century living...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 4:42pm Post subject: shopping
haha i just hate staring in the mirror for an hour looking all pasty and horrible and how stupid i look with wet hair being flung all over the place, and having to decide what kind of haircut i like and stuff. although the hairdresser i go to at the moment, although it's kind of expensive and she doesn't always cut my hair exactly how i like it (i'm bad at explaining as well), is pretty good. the woman who cuts my hair is lovely and they massage your head and give you a cup of tea and everything, so that makes it more bearable, but i still don't like it!

oh the woes of 21st century living...

Come to Canada, I'll share my guy with you!

whatonearth

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 4:51pm Post subject: shopping
he does sound pretty good, can't you just send him over here?!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 5:23pm Post subject: shopping
I just came back from the mall where I bought a splendid pair of corduroy trousers and a dress shirt that actually kinda fit. My problem with clothes shopping is that I do it too often. One of my bosses at work calls me a "clothes horse" cuz I catwalk in a new shirt every other week or so. I'm probably just masking my depression by spending prodigously. Oh well. At least I'll look good when I'm bummed out

i think i need to go shopping with someone like you. then i won't notice disliking it, instead it would be fun!!

i've cut my own hair for years, because i don't like strangers touching me. i've got to know a barber who works by me really well, but he only cuts the hair of middle aged men!

oh, and mockingbird, binding my breasts actually feels more comfortable to me... i sleep like that!

i think most people really don't give a hoot what i do. some of my fears may be all in my head! it may just be part of the self-conscious bug i get when looking for clothes.