Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 9:29pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
it doesn't take much to make me feisty, people could start a fight with me pretty easy if they know how.....

(NOTE: i'm not considered an angry, fighting person round here, but....among my wonderful british friends who are cool cucumbers i probably am )

so for when i need to take some time and get it out of my system, maybe i should have a punching bag.

what size?

i live in an apartment.

perhaps i could put it in my office, but i doubt it, my office is at a preschool/ daycare facility.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

ClareBear

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
A heavy bag's the best bet, but if you're hanging it on the wall or ceiling, your fixing point's gotta be super strong. You can get floor stands, but they take up a lot of room. Any kickboxing classes near you?

Help

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 10:25pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
Um...I'm sure how you'd be able to get a super strong fixing in an apartment.
My other half has one but it's hooked up outisde on a wall and then he just brings it in when it rains.
Like ClareBear said maybe you could look into classes near you, if there are any and if you time OBV!

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 10:27pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
Get a body sized one and put pictures of things/people who annoy you on it.

That would be me.

michael

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 11:35pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
classes would be cool but due to my being a volunteer/public service person right now i don't know if i can afford it. who knows though, i'll check around. it's a good idea.

if not,
i might be able to afford wrapping a mattress around a tree, lol!

(actually,....uh, i used to punch trees. don't worry i never hurt them, just myself)

Nitro

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 1:41am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
Michael, you might be able to find a used punching bag of some sort on Craigslist fairly cheaply.

You'd probably get a better work out with a heavy bag vs a speed bag. You can also Google the techniques used for hitting it. Get some gloves btw, it'll save your hands a bit

Really? Wow.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 2:48am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
Maybe you could make your own? Roll some old clothes up into a sleeping bag, put some weights in the bottom to stabilize it, stand it in the corner, and let your Rocky roll.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

TheElephant

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 3:18am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
You could try a slam man?

Or one of those wooden martial arts posts with arms and legs sticking out.

michael

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 3:48pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
You could try a slam man?

Or one of those wooden martial arts posts with arms and legs sticking out.

my cat might use it too.

erik

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:00am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I voted for the big one, but only if it's actually practical. Personally I rage on the bicycle. I live close to the city limits and can quickly get to roads that are very bicycle friendly, and without the need to stop for lights etc. It would also be quite impractical for me to place a punching bag where I live. In such circumstances, the bicycle is probably a better solution.
What I really wanted to say; if anger can get you to excersize, you can channel it into something useful while reducing the risk of bovine ballistics.

michael

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 12:07am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I voted for the big one, but only if it's actually practical. Personally I rage on the bicycle. I live close to the city limits and can quickly get to roads that are very bicycle friendly, and without the need to stop for lights etc. It would also be quite impractical for me to place a punching bag where I live. In such circumstances, the bicycle is probably a better solution.
What I really wanted to say; if anger can get you to excersize, you can channel it into something useful while reducing the risk of bovine ballistics.

yeah, i already got a bicycle. ride it to work and back every day, out to the ag school farm and back, to the lake, etc etc...race dulie trucks with it...wait, how does that reduce risks of bovine ballistics ? out here every other truck has cows in it.

it does help. i love my bike.

EDITED

i should probably resort to the bike more often, had a great ride last night. just never crosses my mind when i'm upset.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 3:16pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I don't do this kind of thing, but if I did, I'd have a tree trunk securely mounted to something, a crash helmet and a 4 foot iron bar 1" dia with 12" of secure handgrip. And lots of elbow room for a really good long swing

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

michael

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 5:16pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I don't do this kind of thing, but if I did, I'd have a tree trunk securely mounted to something, a crash helmet and a 4 foot iron bar 1" dia with 12" of secure handgrip. And lots of elbow room for a really good long swing

actually, i was very restless when i first moved back here and there were hundreds of trees with broken branches, or the whole tree completely lost and split and all needed to be cleaned up...i spent days cutting it all to firewood. made me feel very nice.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:57pm Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I think you should go with nunchucks.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/henk/images/nun%20chucks.jpg

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 12:03am Post subject: should i invest in a punching bag?
I think you should go with nunchucks.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/henk/images/nun%20chucks.jpg

hahahahaha!!! no, sorry, though i might put his face on the bag. have you ever read his opinion column in the paper? heheh wait....HE'S A NUN??? rotfl!!