Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:16pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Btw did anyone read this interview called 'Time To Diet' from last September in which Stephen talks about trying to lose weight?

Assuming direct control...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:40pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Yes, read it ages ago!
I could picture Mr Fry sneaking down into the kitchen at night to make some mayonnaise X-D X-D

I could never eat salad with mayo on it
olive oil, Styrian pumpkin seed oil, walnut oil, balsamico vinegar, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds etc. add more flavour to salads (and especially pumpkin seeds and oil are very beneficial for men of Mr Fry´s age )

vogueress

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 4:56pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
To get back on topic, breifly ;), Stephen's going to be on Shrink Rap tonight at 11pm on More4 in case people didn't know already.

jemmo

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 2:07pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Well, who watched it last night, then ?
What are your thoughts...?

I reckon Stephen gave a pretty good account of himself and somehow (unlike Sharon Osbourne the night before) kept a measure of control over the interview - which was great. I loved it when he disagreed with Pamela Stephenson on the issue of whether or not he was 'abused' with his first sexual encounter with an older boy. She kept on saying that he WAS abused by that incident and he just didn't see it and would not, personally, accept it as abuse. He hadn't really minded it.

Having seen Pamela with both Sharon O and our man, I find that she's getting on my nerves a bit. She's really pushing the 'abuse' issue, don't you think ? Looking for and talking about abuse in almost every issue that she brings up. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the people she interviews deal with this - if I can take it for the rest of the week.

I think our man has got a pretty good handle on himself. He's no fool. He's also SO well mannered. Apart from the abuse issue mentioned above, there were a couple of times last night when Pamela made a point and he just sat back and went 'Hmmm' . You know the expression - his mouth sort of puckers up and he frowns when he says it. It would have been good to hear him say, 'That's a load of claptrap and I disagree,' - but he's too polite to do that. Bless.

It would have been nice if he'd been prompted to talk about some of the POSITIVE things in his life, rather than concentrating on the negative. He fair lit up when he mentioned his mum and I would have loved for him to have been able to expand on that and make himself feel good. But I guess that's not good television...

Tourmaline

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:18pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Having seen Pamela with both Sharon O and our man, I find that she's getting on my nerves a bit. She's really pushing the 'abuse' issue, don't you think ? Looking for and talking about abuse in almost every issue that she brings up. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the people she interviews deal with this.

Hmmm....she did annoy me quite early on in the prog - they were discussing the 'abuse issue' and Stephen was rambling on, and laughed at what he was saying - I took the rambling and laughing as signs of nerves and being uncomfortable. Doc PC's "I don't find it funny!" sounded to me like a primary school teacher telling off a six-year-old for giggling at the back of the class, rather than something you'd say to another adult when discussing a sensitive issue.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:35pm Post subject: Shrink Rap

Hmmm....she did annoy me quite early on in the prog - they were discussing the 'abuse issue' and Stephen was rambling on, and laughed at what he was saying - I took the rambling and laughing as signs of nerves and being uncomfortable. Doc PC's "I don't find it funny!" sounded to me like a primary school teacher telling off a six-year-old for giggling at the back of the class, rather than something you'd say to another adult when discussing a sensitive issue.

She bugged me too when she did that and when she kept trying to push the abuse issue and kept going back to it when they'd moved onto something else. It was focused a lot on 'trauma' and other negative stuff and then she said something about him not really being manic depressive and that it's all to do with him wanting please people and his father. The programme didn't really paint his father in a good light did it, she didn't give him the opportunity to talk about his relationship with him after the prison incident and how he feels about him now. It was all he ignored you and left you traumatised. When he was laughing it did seem more because he felt awkward rather than oh it's so funny what happened. I see what you mean jemmo about him being too polite to really argue or disagree with her on anything. I'm sure he disagreed on a few things.

Assuming direct control...

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:36pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Gosh darn me, I only caught the last half hour of it...

I thought it was good, but quite often I was sat there thinking "Shut the cock up and let him speak, woman!"

I noticed the way she kept bringing everything back to the abuse stuff, and I was thinking: It might be central, it might not; it also might not be something he wants to discuss ON TELEVISION. It's a very delicate and sensitive issue and I know that judging by the content of Moab is my Washpot he's not afraid for people to know, but it is much more difficult to speak than it is to write about such stuff. Maybe I was misenterpreting his body language/mannerisms/stufflikethat, but it seemed to me that he was laughing in a nervous way... I don't know if he wanted to go into it in too much depth.

Re: his relationship with his dad, I'm sure he wanted to say more than she was allowing him. I can't believe that woman! Why was she not relishing the fact that she was in the company of such an excellent man??

I'm sure everyone else here felt the same way, but it broke my heart to hear Stephen talking about himself in such a disparaging (I think that's the right word) way. I thought he was looking very cute, with his braces and his general "-ness". I don't like the way I look at all, and however much people tell me I'm beautiful or cute or whatever, I don't believe it. So I can relate to him there.

I do love being able to relate to people I admire. Makes them seem real.

What he was saying was totally fascinating, but I did find myself drifting off and imagining what it would be like to sit there on the sofa with him like that, and just sort of cuddle up with him!

Kate

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 12:06am Post subject: Shrink Rap
It was watching "Shrink Rap" last night which sent me to searching the internet and signing up here.

There was so much Stephen said about himself which I can relate to so he struck a lot of chords.

Kate

Tourmaline

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 12:10am Post subject: Shrink Rap
I did find myself drifting off and imagining what it would be like to sit there on the sofa with him like that, and just sort of cuddle up with him!

Oooh me too Stephen Fry is an adorable cuddly teddybear who needs lots of hugs

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 4:33am Post subject: Shrink Rap
I'd like to make an intelligent and thoughtful comment regarding this interview, but I can't stop giggling at Stephen's "Oh, hullo! I'm being buggered!" expression.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

melampus

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 6:30am Post subject: Shrink Rap
Any chance this could be You Tubed? As usual, we don't get such programmes here.

Thank you and good vibes to anyone who could oblige.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 9:06am Post subject: Shrink Rap
I don´t have more4, so could not watch it, but saw a 10-second trailer on C4 and that was distressing enough for me to think "I am glad I can´t watch it because I would not want to see Stephen being put through this.." He looked so uncomfortable and always put his hands before his face - his body language alone made me feel sad :'( :'(

Do interviewees get to see the questions put to them during the interview or are they just hurled at them as it proceeds?

But thanks for pointing out the main topics discussed... I am still glad I couldn´t watch it...

Nadia

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 9:27am Post subject: Shrink Rap
I wonder too, could it be YouTubed ..
It's always a pain -to see sad Stephen, but i still
want to see this.. Sounds like this woman is obstinate amateurish
ill-mannered person . hmm.

Kate

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 10:08am Post subject: Shrink Rap
> Sounds like this woman is obstinate amateurish ill-mannered person <

Like most of her ilk, I reckon. They have to take out one's slightly soiled washing and play around with it until it is black with dirt.

Better to leave it where it is and get on with life. Works for me!

Kate

Skadoo

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 7:12pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
I don't know how to Youtube things...but anyone interested in seeing this, drop me a PM and I can help you out