Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

robertas

Posted Mon May 12th, 2008 10:00am Post subject: Shrink Rap
Shyamz, I remember that post, lovely Sarah clued me in as I wrote a post about the whole Shrink Rap thing - it was a part of our Stephen Fry Appreciation Monday thingy

I watched bits of it, some bits were just too painful?, uncomfortable to watch. I know I am completely biased as I (like all of us here) have great fondness for our lovely Mr. Fry. But it has to be said although I'm a pacifist by nature I wanted to slap her silly.

Also I think Sarah from facebook or was it Susan told me the person being interviewed decides what is edited and what is not. Can you imagine what was edited out if this was so uncomfortable to watch?
I think they did present it as therapy show to the people who took part, but it is a telly show after all and what old Pamela was trying to do (in my opinion) was to fast forward it and compress what would probably be months of therapy in a few hours session (if it can even be called that).
What struck me the most (again just my opinion) that in a way she was trying to bully him into saying he was abused. Which might or might not be true, it is after all his experience but if he is not ready to say the words bullying is not the way to go about it.

Occy

Posted Mon May 26th, 2008 3:40pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
well jesus people - if Stephen had been so uncomfortable with it he need not have done it? Non? He put himself out there and he knew what she was going to talk about so...I don't get all the angst about his being uncomfortable. I haven't watched it admittedly - might do another night but its 1am here and I have a long day ahead of me

Britannicus

Posted Mon May 26th, 2008 4:54pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
You may understand the angst when you've watched it.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Occy

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 2:58am Post subject: Shrink Rap
regardless - stephen is big boy and can make his own decisions

Britannicus

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 6:09am Post subject: Shrink Rap
I don't think that is in question.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Occy

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 1:03pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
That's feeling I get when people saying things like "how could he let himself do this?" etc

Yea it was difficult but he chose to do it - he could have said no...

Occy

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 2:23pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
A few comments while watching it

1. Pamela is fine IMO - she is constantly at him because Stephen has a tendency to deviate

2. The whole sodomy thing - it seems like a simple adult conversation. He has said one thing...now he says another...the truth is probably somewhere in the middle as it is with most people...

3. Love is its own creation - it breathes and grows and moves and flows - it's timeless and endless - even unrequited love.

All in all I think it was quite wonderfully well done. I see a lot of me in what Stephen said but I guess that is why I first was drawn to his work and to learn further about him.

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue May 27th, 2008 11:51pm Post subject: Shrink Rap
Upon watching it yes he did seem a pinch uncomfortable but such is therapy.

Its only as beneficial as you want it to be and honesty is part of receiving that benefit.

One of the things I've always found particularly attractive and appealing about Mr. Fry is not only his intellect but also his attempts at honesty.

What I mean by attempts is not that he fails in any way to provide honesty but instead that he always attempts to get to the heart of the manner.

Par example...the sodomy bit. Is it honest to say that it was confusing when you take into account one's sexuality and is it honest to say that you felt you were supposed to embody a particular set of emotions? Yes...oh my god yes.

Is there any possibility though that some of the emotions have been repressed or shelved b/c they are too painful? Yes as well.

I don't know the true story to be sure but I do respect and find Mr. Fry's candor at the feelings that he recollects.

And I too wish that we could all despite of whatever we have or where ever we come from wake up each morning and feel as though life is worth it.

And that is my two cents on the matter whatever they are worth (generally I estimate them to be worth two pennies )

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P