Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClareBear

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 9:49am Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
I know!

Johnny was a chemist's son,
but Johnny is no more
What Johnny thought was H2O,
was H2SO4

H2SO4, being sulphuric (sulfuric if you're in the US) acid.

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 9:50am Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
Way back in the olden days, when I was an obnoxious little fourth former at Heckmondwike Grammar School, studying languages, my brother was a sixth former, studying science. He told me a really funny limerick, but all I can remember is the last line:

' But what he thought was H2O was H2SO4'

Does anyone know the rest of it???

Google came up with this:

Little Willie was a chemist.
Little Willie is no more.
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4.

- David Smillie

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 9:51am Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
another one by the same author:

Willy thought that life was a bore,
So he drank some H2SO4.
But his dad was an M.D.
Who gave him some CaCO3.
Now Willy is neutralized, it's true,
But he's also full of CO2!

joan

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 11:11am Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
Thanks for that Atari and Soupy: I had mis-remembered it as a limerick. That's great.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 2:44pm Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
Someone once gave me to read a song they wrote to the tune of "Do you Hear the People sing?" from the musical Les Miserables... it started with the words "Do you see the benzene rings?"

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 2:56pm Post subject: 'Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes...
the one we learned was:

Little Jimmy's dead and gone,
Won't see him any more
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4