Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

elTweeno

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 12:23am Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
The deadline to sign up for this list has now passed. The Birthday Card is almost complete, but please feel free to sign up for our Christmas Project.

This thread is intended for those Forum members who had not joined the Birthday Card for Stephen Fry Project before the deadline for participation, but who want to wish Stephen a happy birthday by adding their name to the Birthday Card.

Here's the plan; when the card is finished by all those taking part, we'll designate a couple of pages for 'latecomers' to the project to express their wishes for Stephen. After everyone has signed up (see below for deadline) I'll post a collective greeting, which I'll write towards the back of the Card, and then anyone who wants their name to appear should post in this thread and their name will be added to that page, beneath the greeting.

A few quick, simple rules:

1. Anyone wishing to do this must not already be taking part in the project - i.e. they must not be included in the itinerary lists, which are linked to by my signature.

2. People wishing to sign this page will have their Forum name and location added (handwritten) on a page of the Card containing a generic greeting, after all the current participants have created their greetings. There will not be the possibility for people to write their own greetings in the card - we simply won't have the space for that, sorry. However, feel free to express in this thread what you think the greeting should include - all ideas are welcome, and I'll try to include them all when I put the greeting together.

3. The deadline for people to express their interest in being on this list (on this thread, or via PM to me) is no later than Wednesday 24th June 2009. No names will be accepted after this date - we need to keep things on-schedule.

I know this sounds incredibly picky, but if we don't have fair & firm rules the project won't work. Several people have worked incredibly hard at making this happen, and they've agreed to let latecomers add to the book to keep things fair for everyone.

Any questions, PM me.

So, who wants in?

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

Laur1991

Posted Tue Apr 21st, 2009 1:35am Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, and I finally joined just so I could be in this birthday card project! =) It sounds like a great idea. Thanks so much for giving me (and a lot of others I bet) a chance to participate.

By the way, I see you have a USA and Europe/UK itinerary... Does this mean I'm not allowed to join, seeing as I'm neither from Europe or the States? Is there a set of rules I can look at? Should I read something or sign up somewhere? Should I have PMed you these questions?

elTweeno

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:29am Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
Welcome to the forum Laur1991

Sorry, I should've made it clear; anyone can join the project for this bit, they don't have to be just from the UK/Europe/USA. This is just for anyone who wasn't part of the forum before our lovely card set off on it's travels

Signing up to this part of the project can, as said above, be done on this thread or by sending me a PM. No need to sign up elsewhere.

Okay, I've been thinking really hard about this greeting from you all, and I've come up with nothing I feel is worth sharing. So, with that in mind, suggestions are more than welcome as to what the greeting above all your names should include - as we draw closer to June 24th I'll get all the suggestions together & try to compile a greeting with all the sentiments in it. And, of course, I'll post it here so you all can see what's going in the book with your name on it!

Right, well....we surely can't have just 2 people who are new & want to sign the card?! Come on guys; nows your chance to wish Stephen a wonderful birthday on an (almost) personal level....

eT

taluta

Posted Wed Apr 29th, 2009 7:06pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
I think a simple greeting without too much complication, bearing in mind that if many names are to be put to it, what one person may wish to say might not quite be in sync with the sentiments of another.

But I should imagine that we all would safely wish a truly happy birthday that day and every day.

... or no?

'Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word,' he said.
Ay, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.

The Listeners
by Walter De La Mare

CornishPixie

Posted Wed Apr 29th, 2009 7:48pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
I would like to add my well-wishes to the card if I may

See? I did good, didn't get flowery and adjective-y

Midsomerlover

Posted Thu Apr 30th, 2009 9:49pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
I'd like to add them too Thanks for the efforts Eltweeno!

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

elTweeno

Posted Fri May 1st, 2009 12:17am Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

Not sure if this is just me being dense/forgetful, but where in the world are you?

Or would you rather not put your location in the card? That'd be fine, but just thought I'd check; can't remember if you've ever said where you are.

eT

Midsomerlover

Posted Fri May 1st, 2009 12:10pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

Not sure if this is just me being dense/forgetful, but where in the world are you?

Or would you rather not put your location in the card? That'd be fine, but just thought I'd check; can't remember if you've ever said where you are.

eT

No I didn't, sorry :-//

I'm from Bruges, Belgium. My real name is Pieter.

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

elTweeno

Posted Fri May 1st, 2009 1:09pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
Cool, thanks. You're on the list

eT

elTweeno

Posted Wed May 6th, 2009 9:38pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
Do people think this thread should be a 'Sticky' Thread?

Just so that people who've been away from the forum for a while, or who have just joined, can find it easily without having to ask about the project elsewhere.

Do people think this would be easier?

eT

PamJH

Posted Wed May 6th, 2009 11:17pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)
Sure. It won't be stickied all that long, anyway.

elTweeno

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 10:17pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

How do I get it stickied? PM a moderator?

(Sorry, really stupid question; I just realised I have no idea what I'm doing.)

PamJH

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 10:21pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

Just PM clarebear. She gets back to people quite fast.

elTweeno

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 10:24pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

Just PM clarebear. She gets back to people quite fast.

Thanks.

Feel a bit daft for not working that out for myself! :-// X-D

PamJH

Posted Fri May 8th, 2009 10:31pm Post subject: Signing the Birthday Book (for those not on the itinerary)

Feel a bit daft for not working that out for myself! :-// X-D

No need. I'll remind you again that you're doing a great job.