Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 1:18am Post subject: Simon's Phone
It was in with his things and switched on - yes?
He's been dead for 6 months.

A) it was most likely contract due to his job etc and so who was paying the bill?
Unless it was a company phone.

B) How was the battery still charged!!?
Unless the police had turned it on a few days earlier or Peter had turned it on when he looked through the things.

I'm sorry for being pedantic.

CEPalmer

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 3:11am Post subject: Simon's Phone
No you're quite right, I thought exactly the same. I made a conscious decision however to overlook this as the series stars our favourite Mr Fry. Fickle I know but come on, it is Stephen Fry (my God I've turned into a slimy sycofant! Oh well I'm OK with it.)

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:15am Post subject: Simon's Phone
It was in with his things and switched on - yes?

B) How was the battery still charged!!?
Unless the police had turned it on a few days earlier or Peter had turned it on when he looked through the things.

Cell phone batteries are very weird things. I had an LG that the battery, from the time it was new, needed to be charged every day although I barely used the blasted thing. I also had a motorola, one of those pay as you go ones that the battery lasts for months on a charge when not in use, even if it remains on. I still have that one. I let my mother take it since she is forever forgetting to charge her phone and doesn't use it often, so a pay as go plan works for her. It isn't usual though, I think it was a bad battery, but bad in a good way lol.

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:19am Post subject: Simon's Phone
Fickle I know but come on, it is Stephen Fry (my God I've turned into a slimy sycofant! Oh well I'm OK with it.)

LOL, me too then, because the man could just stand in front of a camera and read the phone book and I would watch, raptly.

CEPalmer

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:23am Post subject: Simon's Phone
If we had sufficient funds to offer him that opportunity do you think he would take it?? I would cry a thousand bloody tears to see that dream come true!

Sorry, I should have said. I have a bit of a phone book fetish. Don't ask....

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:33am Post subject: Simon's Phone
If we had sufficient funds to offer him that opportunity do you think he would take it?? I would cry a thousand bloody tears to see that dream come true!

Sorry, I should have said. I have a bit of a phone book fetish. Don't ask....

Hmmmm, let's see I have about $20 and change in my pocket.... doubt that would get even a page read with the going exchange rates

And one cannot simply say they have a phone book fetish and ask not to be asked about it....

CEPalmer

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:43am Post subject: Simon's Phone
lol I suppose not. Unfortunately all my capital is currently tied up in a "Small Game," hunting venture I have going. We give people tiny rifles (about an inch and a half long) and let them loose on such terrifying beasts as beetles, ladybirds and of course those most feared of creatures: The aphids! When the guy offering the franchise said it was a snip at £20,000 I could see his logic. I haven't seen him in a while but he assured me he'd be back as soon as everything was set up.

Oh and as for the phone book thing, well, let's just say that long, polysyllabic surnames just make me wriggle and squeal.

I did tell you not to ask!

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 5:56am Post subject: Simon's Phone

Oh and as for the phone book thing, well, let's just say that long, polysyllabic surnames just make me wriggle and squeal.

I did tell you not to ask!

LOL. Well, I think that long, polysyllabic surnames read 'a la Jeeves' might have the same effect for me

But bringing this topic back around to 'Simon's Phone', I absolutely loved the scene where he was trying to get the cell phone provider to give him the number or at least the hemisphere from which the call came.

CEPalmer

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 6:03am Post subject: Simon's Phone
Yes that was a particularly well scripted little scene. I think the most endearing aspect of it was that Peter seemed to think he would get anything other than the response he did. An uncharicaristic show of naivety there!

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 6:09am Post subject: Simon's Phone
An uncharicaristic show of naivety there!

Yes, but it was sweet. He did however make up for it when he basically blackmailed that strawberry farm owner. That was precious. You don't happen to know what kind of dog Millie is do you? I am guessing some kind of terrier, maybe a Jack Russel. But she is adorable. I used to have a dog about that size, the pound said he was a Min Pin, but due to size I think he was either a German Pinscher or a Manchester Terrier. Lack of sleep and general highness = rapid topic change.

CEPalmer

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 6:12am Post subject: Simon's Phone
She is definitely a Jack Russel. It said so in the behind the scenes film they put on the DVD.

Autumn

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 6:18am Post subject: Simon's Phone
That answers that then I am still waiting for my dvds to arrive. Should be here any day though. Now I just hope I hacked out my dvd player right to play Region 2 dvds.

Maniac

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 11:05am Post subject: Simon's Phone
I don't buy the phone thing.
Batteries won't last for 6 months.
And even when they do last for a while once they are expected to ring and connect to a call, they die.

Someone should have thought about that in the writing.

A scene where Peter turned the phone on would have been sufficient.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 1:16pm Post subject: Simon's Phone
Maybe there was a scene where he turned it on and they cut it for time. We could've done with a deleted scenes feature on the dvd.

Sometimes when you watch a film weird stuff that doesn't make sense make more sense when you've watched the deleted scenes. The most interesting case of that I've come across is The Stepford Wives remake. They cut a load of scenes of the robot wives but left two in the film and that combined with the altered ending made the film a mess because in the tacked on ending we see that the wives aren't robots but that they just have brain implants.

Assuming direct control...

Maniac

Posted Sat Sep 1st, 2007 3:33pm Post subject: Simon's Phone
Maybe there was a scene where he turned it on and they cut it for time. We could've done with a deleted scenes feature on the dvd.

I thought that - but that's just bad continuity so it's still bad!