Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Vanderloo

Posted Fri May 9th, 2008 2:39pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
It's a bit of a bore having to sign up to iTunes just to get these podgrammes. I know Stephen has a bee in his bonnet about PCs, but not everyone has the money to fork out for a new Mac . A simple download wouldn't go amiss. Having to sign in to this and that and download extra things makes it too much like hard work.
I feel punished for having Windows installed my machine.

nongenderous

Posted Fri May 9th, 2008 3:18pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
I agree. The only reason I'm signed up to iTunes is because of the podgrams. It's quite annoying. I've got Windows as well. Not everyone owns a Mac.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri May 9th, 2008 3:47pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
Stephen's worth the extra click or two.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Petrucci

Posted Fri May 9th, 2008 6:48pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
I don't have iTunes and I can still download the podgrams.
There is this wonderful site called NetVibes which I've been using for quite some time to keep track of all my email accounts, profiles on social and other networks, blogs I read, news sites and the like. Basically it makes my life a LOT easier.
It is based on tabs and modules. You can organize both any way you like. All you need to do is click on the ADD CONTENT button, then on ADD A FEED and just paste the url of the site you'd like to follow or the direct link to the rss/atom feed. Netvibes then creates a module that you can add to any of the tabs. A module with a podcast feed has a little 'play' icon as well as a 'download' icon, so you can download the files onto your hard drive. Also, links to older podcasts aren't lost when a new one appears, which is great!

Direct link to Stephen's podgrams rss feed is http://www.stephenfry.com/podcasts/rss.xml . So all you need to do is paste this link when you add the feed to your NetVibes page.
This is what my NetVibes page looks like, so you can get some idea.

^clicky

Vanderloo

Posted Fri May 9th, 2008 9:30pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
Many thanks for that Netvibes link Petrucci. It's a bit of a palaver to begin with, but there are some good widgets there AND I did download a podgram without any fuss.

Phlizz

Posted Sat May 24th, 2008 11:00pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
Well - i have the opposite problem - I do have a Mac but I have such pants internet that I have trouble downloading anything at all!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 12:14pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
I don't have a Mac but I had iTunes anyway because I've got an iPod and you can't use those without first downloading and installing iTunes. I don't mind using iTunes. Before that it was SonicStage because I using a Sony mp3 player. Still am so I've still got both installed and taking up space.

Assuming direct control...

Vanya

Posted Thu Jun 26th, 2008 5:33pm Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
I don't have iTunes and I can still download the podgrams.
There is this wonderful site called NetVibes which I've been using for quite some time to keep track of all my email accounts, profiles on social and other networks, blogs I read, news sites and the like. Basically it makes my life a LOT easier.
It is based on tabs and modules. You can organize both any way you like. All you need to do is click on the ADD CONTENT button, then on ADD A FEED and just paste the url of the site you'd like to follow or the direct link to the rss/atom feed. Netvibes then creates a module that you can add to any of the tabs. A module with a podcast feed has a little 'play' icon as well as a 'download' icon, so you can download the files onto your hard drive. Also, links to older podcasts aren't lost when a new one appears, which is great!

Direct link to Stephen's podgrams rss feed is http://www.stephenfry.com/podcasts/rss.xml . So all you need to do is paste this link when you add the feed to your NetVibes page.
This is what my NetVibes page looks like, so you can get some idea.

^clicky

I tried this with last podgram and it worked - I downloaded it as Winamp media file, but with 4th podgram something happend - it's MPEG-4 Audio File. How can I solve this problem and download podgrams as mp3?

Thanks!

gjhsu

Posted Fri Jun 27th, 2008 3:34am Post subject: Simple podcast downloads Vs Mac fetish?
This issue was explained in Podgram #2 (Bored of the Dance, and thus far, my favorite podgram):

Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth....