Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 8:46pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I'm not sure if this has been given a proper thread, so here it is.

What are your views on the new, slim-line Mr Fry? I'm not 100% convinced I like it. :-// I mean, good on him for losing all of that weight, but I think I preferred him with a little more meat on his bones. He just looked cuddlier. Maybe it's because I've always known him to be squishier, apart from when he was younger, but that doesn't count. And now I think he might be taking it too far, I saw a picture of him and he looked kinda ill. I feel quite bad for saying this since he's gone to all the effort of diets or whatever, and he obviously didn't like the way he looked before, but still. What does everybody else think?

Sorry for the ramble, I'm in a funny mood.

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

PamJH

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 10:21pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I'll be careful here so no one thinks I'm criticizing. This is a sensitive issue for a lot of people.

I read some interview (link was posted here but I've forgotten what it was) where he said losing weight has helped with his depression. If that's the case, I'm all for it. If he feels better about himself then the effort was worth it.

Some people said he seemed to lose it too fast. Men do tend to lose weight much faster than women do, so that could explain that issue.

As for looking ill, I wonder if he's simply tired. Once we reach that magical middle age, the late nights and nonstop travel and work take a toll, even if a person is in good shape. And I'm looking at this from the perspective of a person who does perhaps one-tenth of what Stephen does.

Cuddlier? Yes, he probably was a bit cuddlier. But he's still pretty cute.;-)

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 11:32pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
Honestly? I'm really pleased for him. From his tweets he seems as lovely and bright as ever. He may not be as cuddly but I bet he's feeling a whole lot better and more energetic, despite the odd tired photo. However, it was a shock the first time I saw him and I did need to get used to it.

That would be me.

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 11:58pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
:-// Aw, I feel guilty now. I think I was just a bit shocked by a couple of pictures I've seen recently. It just seemed kinda sudden and I suppose I was a bit worried for him. I feel bad if I've caused offence or anything.

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

PamJH

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:05am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
Don't feel guilty. You merely asked a question and you were concerned. There's nothing wrong with that. For what it's worth, you didn't offend me. I don't think you could actually offend anyone.:D

JSKanga84

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:06am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
Me too. I'm glad to see him take initiative for his health, which so many people don't do and suffer the consequences for in later life. I mean, look at the way he handled drug addiction in the past-- he wasn't happy with himself for it and he worked hard to change it. Besides that, it's always so much harder for people to lose weight when they reach middle age, man or woman. As gadgetgeekgirl said, travel takes a toll after a certain age, but now that he's exercising and has lost some weight, we'll have our lovely Stephen around for many many years to come!

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:11am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
Don't feel bad - as I said, it shocked me too!

That would be me.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:14am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
:-// Aw, I feel guilty now. I think I was just a bit shocked by a couple of pictures I've seen recently. It just seemed kinda sudden and I suppose I was a bit worried for him. I feel bad if I've caused offence or anything.
Don't feel bad. I have actually written a response to this thread on four separate occasions and then deleted them. I fall somewhere in-between. I am very happy to hear that he has adopted a healthier life style, and that it has helped with his depression and blood pressure. That is exactly what I would want for him.

However, everyone knows I am a worrier. Yes, I am concerned by how quickly he lost the weight, yes I am concerned that he will over do it. I certainly don't want to see him lose any more weight. And the pictures I saw when he first arrived home were a little troubling, but as gadgetgeekgirl said, it could also have been that he was just tired. Because the press conference and the pictures from the theatre last night both looked great. So for right now, I will say with some trepidation that I think he looks good. Now he can relax a little and enjoy a few more foods beside fish.

Peachy Keenan

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 5:27am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I'm still getting used to skinny!Stephen too. But I really don't see it as something to be concerned about, because as Pam says, he's been doing all the right things such as exercising every day and keeping a good diet. It's really helped him and the weight he is now is considered rather an ideal for his age. He does strike me as looking rather tired, but I put it down to working himself like a horse and still getting used to being at home again. It's all taken me by surprise I suppose because I haven't seen any recent pics of him until he got back.
I know we'll miss fluffy!Stephen. But he'll always be as cuddly and sweet. I don't think that could change so soon.

Twittering @peachykeenan!

Jonathan Syer

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 11:57am Post subject: Skinny Stephen
The next Mr Muscle if you ask me

http://www.jsyer.co.uk

Antonia

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
The only things which look bad on him now are his old cholth: He looks lost in them. He needs a serious shopping. I'm very proud of him for keeping up all the walking and running. Muscles form a lot.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 3:34pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I think he still has some cuddliness on him, and I'm going to find it! *puts on pinching gloves*

I really really really can't express how really really really happy I am for him. Yes, it was sudden. I remember the first time we all saw the twitpic in his wetsuit and OMGs ruled the day. As long was it was a healthy weight loss - caloric moderation, more physical activity - then I'm fine with it. Which it sounds like it was.

Exercise does wonders for depression. It certainly elevates my mood.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Corona

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 5:42pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I was worried he was ill. If he has done it properly I am pleased. He should live longer and carry on making the world happier.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 6:19pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
As a sufferer of too much weight on the old bones & getting down, I can support Stephen's efforts. He will be feeling really pleased with himself & certainly much healthier.

The main thing to look for as some have already said is that he does not look to lose anymore. The approach he has taken hasn't been a diet as such just eating when hungry, eating slowly & walking (Paul McKenna) It should provide him with a regime for life once he has reached his optimum weight. He needs to make sure he doesn't go the next step which would be dieting to lose more.

Surmon over - apologies!! :-//

I have a cunning plan!

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 7:18pm Post subject: Skinny Stephen
I take people as they are, hoping they´ll reciprocate (I´m not exactly an oil painting). I should think Mr Fry is old enough to know what he´s doing. I admire him for his tenacity and will power!
And 15st coming in the shape of a 6ft4.5in tall, dark and handsome man with lovely blue eyes, a tomboyish smile and the most beautiful hands ever - absolutely nothing wrong with that