Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

theomnipotentone

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 3:52pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice... At the moment I'm in one of those "stages" where my sleep pattern is highly erratic, for example: three nights in a row - zero sleep, the next night - 15 hours, the next two nights - zero sleep, the next night -17 hours, etc etc, ad inifinitum until the gods only know when! It's really wreaking havoc in my life... I don't know what to do about it because I'm adamant on not using any form of sleeping pill (especially not over-the-counter... they cause severe depression in those who are clinically depressed). If anyone has any suggestions I'd be truly grateful.

Be well.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 4:00pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
I saw an article in Men's Health that suggested wearing socks to bed to get a more sleep. Something about warm feet relaxing the body/mind or something.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ClareBear

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 4:18pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
I'll agree with the socks.

panda

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 4:27pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Hi
This is my recommendation:

Try not to drink any alcohol or caffeine - or at the very least cut down
Hopefully don't smoke
Make sure you get some exercise everyday, preferably outside. I would say half an hours (or an hours) walk round the park. (daylight, light exercise, not so much that it gets you manic, but enough to tire you out a bit)

Take these:
"Chill" supplements, by the brand Higher Nature. You can buy at good health food shops, like fresh and wild. you may be able to buy online. take 2 each evening
Magnesium and Calcium mix: by Biocare brand, take 3 in the evening
Valerian capsules by Viridian - take 3 in the evening

Drink camomile tea - steep it for 10 mins, with a saucer over the top to make it stronger. Passionflower and Limeflower and Lemon Balm are good as well.

That is what i would do. plus, check your stress levels during the day. calm down in the evening with a calming book, lights dimmed.

However, it may be that your sleep is so out of sync that you might need to take medication to even it out. has your doctor prescribed anything? anti-psychotics? sedatives? sleeping tablets, calming tablets.

any thoughts?

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 4:35pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
I use a herbal thing - Hydroxytryptotan. Works a treat.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 7:52pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Or hydroxytryptoPHan even...

taniaw

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2007 2:12am Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
sleep is a huge problem for me. A lot of the time I just don't feel I need to sleep. The only way I can really sleep is taking all of my medication at the same time including sleeping tablets, anti-psychotics, mood stabiliser, anti-parkinson drugs' (I don't have parkinsons it's for the side effects). Doing that just knocks me off my feet and I sleep - however, taking them at the right time (11pm, I'll quite often be awake at 4 am without realising the time - putting it off because I feel good).

I can easily be awake for 3 to 4 days if I don't do that. But I have a full time job computer programming and get extremely paranoid and psychotic if I don't sleep. Although, I can get worried when it's around 4-5 am that if I take my pills then I wont be awake in time to work, so just don't take them and don't sleep.

I have particular issues with visial/auditory and smell hallucinations.

Not sure what to suggest, the way I do it is not ideal, I'd rather space things out. When I do take them all together, I'm not asleep, I'm unconscious - difference being that no-one can rouse me when I've taken them all.

I have had a problem with sleep since I was 6, it got worse after I tried to hang myself aged 10. I'm nearly 40 and it's still a problem.

panda

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 11:31am Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Hi Tanyaw
That sounds really difficult. Does your doctor recommend that you take your medication at a particular time? I think when i was given sleeping tablets, or anti-pyschotics, i was recommended to take them at 9.30/10pm, and that was when i wasn't working during the day. Now that i do work fulltime during the day, if i have a really bad time sleeping, i don't take a sleeping tablet if its 3am or something, but just try and rest that night, even if i can't sleep much. then the next night i will take a sleeping tablet quite early, maybe 9am, and then hopefully i'll get my sleep. i also try not to get too wound up during the day, which can be really easy to do if i haven't slept. i make a conscious effort (if i haven't slept the night before) to stay calm, not get too involved in conversations, just keep my head down and get home early so that i can switch off and get ready for sleep.
my sleep is particularly disrupted at the moment because my boyfriend snores!!!! but hopefully we will sort that out soon (we are getting a spare bed).
panda

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 2:26pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Avoid going on the computer for a few hours before going to sleep. I always regret going on the computer late as I can't sleep. I guess it's because your mind's too active and you're sat in an upright position. Try not to have any caffeine after 5 o'clock. I read somewhere that's the latest you should intake it because it can disrupt your sleep.

Assuming direct control...

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 5:42pm Post subject: Sleep - how to find a happy medium.
Have sex.