Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gayalondiel

Posted Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 9:45pm Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
Does anyone know what the background music to this clip is? My mind says Philip Glass but I can't bring the piece to mind, am I right?

Telepresent

Posted Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 11:33pm Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
Hmmm, can't think what it is but I'm fairly sure it's Glass. And I want a copy

Saturn

Posted Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 11:43pm Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
It's from Philip Glass' soundtrack to the film The Hours, I'm not sure which individual piece it is, but I'm 99% sure that's where that piece of music is from.

Vespertine

Posted Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 11:45pm Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
It sounds like a string version of Philip Glass - metamorphosis 1 or two. More 1 than 2.

But I'm not so sure. It might be the Hours. I'll keep researching.

EDIT: Stephen got there first lol

wildfire

Posted Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 12:10am Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
It sounds a lot like "metamorphosis 2" by Philip Glass, but the SLOTMD video has strings and piano whereas the copy I heard was a piano solo...

There's some good choices of music on SLOTMD - Ba-Ba by Sigur Ros is playing in the background when a lady is talking about her child being `the centre of her universe' - It captures that feeling of wonder, astonishment and everything being new again, I think.

Edit: had a look on iTunes and it's track 6 on The Hours "I'm going to make a cake", like Saturn sez. ... that could be a game?

Gayalondiel

Posted Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 10:07am Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
*adds The Hours to CD wishlist*

Thank you all for the sleuthy thoughts! Also, nice to know there are a few people here who appreciate the wonder that is Mr Glass

katysara

Posted Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 5:51pm Post subject: SLOTMD - Name that tune
I'm a bit late, but yes it's from the Hours. If I were you I'd get the DVD not just the CD. Great film, V. Woolf is a heroine of mine - fellow writer, fellow relationships with women, fellow manic depressive, fellow birthday, fellow suicide (?maybe).

But the film is rather sad... Not good if you are suicidal.

Book is good too, but on this rare occasion, I prefer the film!

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com