Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Michael Steven

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 4:37pm Post subject: Snake's death
Here on the mid atlantic coast of North America-'Black Adder' is no longer aired
on public tv. "Most Americans didn't or wouldn't understand it as it dealt with
periods of English history they were unfamiliar with so the humor was 'way over their heads'?" said the voice at the PBS station when I inquired about its' absence. Just before it left- the show was 'kicked upstairs' meaning it could only be seen just before or after midnight so it's vacancy could be filled with cooking, gardening, health and home repair or 'The Lawrence Welk' shows; needless to say I stayed up late and watched and some how knew that when Capt. Adder led his men 'over the top' ( I sensed it was the end of the show by the grim smiles and his batman's lack of a final 'smart ass remark' just before the whistle blew) that the whole show was going to be blown to bits and never return. A very creative but, sad way to end it. Now, there are occasional episodes of 'Thin Blue Line' and again 'pushed up in the attic' where snores
replace applause and it signals that it too is on its' 'final cruise' so that viewers
can tour the estates of the 'posh' or review the Battle of the Bulge for the hundreth time? I will say to its' credit that when the PBS station was on a fund raising drive they, offered a DVD of all the Black Adder shows if you contributed $100 or more but, the phone line was so busy that, by the time my call was answered I was told, "Sorry-all sold out of Black Adder-but, for $100 we'll send you a PBS baseball cap and a coffee mug-okay?" I hung up and sadly went to bed.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 8:25pm Post subject: Snake's death
my pbs is really bad, too. they show a lot of financial advice shows.

i'm not sure if it's due to lack of funds or if that's what people really want..

i've started emailing mine with requests... and i had this scheme that maybe people could email other folks' stations as well! i mean, how would they know if i didn't live where you live??? and then you could write to mine! is that cheating?

Pseudo_lawyer

Posted Thu Dec 6th, 2007 4:35pm Post subject: Snake's death
That is really sad. Every time Georgia Public Broadcasting has a fund raising drive, they say that it is really expensive to show the British comedies. So maybe it is lack of funds. Blackadder airs here at about 11:30 pm on Saturdays, so I understand your plight. I used to stay up to watch it, but a few months ago, I was lucky enough to get all the DVDs, so I don't watch it on TV anymore. But yes, PBS is getting weaker. They're showing more stuff that is in line with American popular culture.

busy clippers

Posted Thu Dec 6th, 2007 6:26pm Post subject: Snake's death
My PBS used to be really good but now half of the day's programming is taken up by thinly disguised infomercials for self-help books. I'm bitter. That emailing idea of Banjo's is a good one and I'd be willing to try it.

joan

Posted Fri Dec 7th, 2007 1:59am Post subject: Snake's death
You'll have to buy the full series - I've got all 4. In fact there was something about the 'heroic' carrier pigeons used by the British in war time, on the news recently, and I immediately thought of THAT episode!!!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Dec 7th, 2007 9:51am Post subject: Snake's death
Oh Speckled Jim Joan. That delicious plump breasted pigeon.

joan

Posted Fri Dec 7th, 2007 11:28am Post subject: Snake's death
That's the one!!

diane tigue

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 9:26pm Post subject: Snake's death
I am trying to buy the episodes - I quit endorsing PBS and NPR because I felt I was always assumed to have a position ascribed to me. A position, i don't usually agree with. The fund drives became too annoying to put up with. Especially since most mystery and comedy DVD's shown on PBS can be purchased new or used very reasonably and you don't have to feel helpless because the Japanese are snagging the endangered minke whale in their indisciminate tuna nets - or someone is smoking a ciggiebutt somewhere and the rain forest is dying. You get enough of the "you are an unworthy person" at church. You don't need to send in $25 bucks to PBS for a coffee mug to prove you are indeed the worthless sack they think you are.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 1:03am Post subject: Snake's death
I am trying to buy the episodes - I quit endorsing PBS and NPR because I felt I was always assumed to have a position ascribed to me. A position, i don't usually agree with. The fund drives became too annoying to put up with. Especially since most mystery and comedy DVD's shown on PBS can be purchased new or used very reasonably and you don't have to feel helpless because the Japanese are snagging the endangered minke whale in their indisciminate tuna nets - or someone is smoking a ciggiebutt somewhere and the rain forest is dying. You get enough of the "you are an unworthy person" at church. You don't need to send in $25 bucks to PBS for a coffee mug to prove you are indeed the worthless sack they think you are.

if that's really what they told you, i now question all the educational television on pbs, cause minke whales ain't endangered. they are...something...threatened. i've seen like five or six and i rarely even went to the dang ocean. it's purty though. sorry, i been drinkin dr pepper again.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 9:44am Post subject: Snake's death

if that's really what they told you, i now question all the educational television on pbs, cause minke whales ain't endangered. they are...something...threatened. i've seen like five or six and i rarely even went to the dang ocean. it's purty though. sorry, i been drinkin dr pepper again.

You've rarely been to the ocean banjo?

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 1st, 2008 9:32pm Post subject: Snake's death
i've been, but not very often. it was good to go from seattle, but i had to rent or borrow a car because i didn't own one. we went sea kayaking and a few other times just drove down the coast. and went to the islands and saw orcas and dolphins. i've been to the coast in florida also...and oregon...i like the northwest coast a lot. it's not warm, so it's not for sitting out in a swimsuit.

from where i live now, and where i grew up, it's quite a ways. the gulf coast isn't too far but i'm smack inbetween the atlantic and pacific. so i'm interested in ocean stuff but it's all pretty strange and foreign to me.

j9r

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 12:22am Post subject: Snake's death
My local PBS station shows self-help, home improvement and cooking shows. The next closest station actually does show BBC programs, it is their way of setting themselves off from the others (they show Kingdom) but I don't think they have ever played Black Adder. And I stopped giving money to my PBS station when they would take "breaks" not during pledge week to thank the corporate sponsor. Wouldn't that just be a commercial?

BANJO - the first time I drove through OK I thought to myself "there ain't no way I could live this far from an ocean", lakes don't cut it. I grew up in Jersey and spent summers down the shore, now I live on the San Francisco Bay and can see the Golden Gate from my house and it seems so far to the ocean.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 4:22am Post subject: Snake's death
mine shows very little bbc stuff, but i just want to say i looked at the schedule and this month they are showing an "american experience" ep about walt whitman. i just watched one i taped about pete seeger, it was great.

i understand what you mean. j9r! lots of people in seattle were like that about the ocean. i get that way about open space and being able to see really really far. it's very nice for me mentally...the way oceans can be too. though...and this might sound wierd...i love mountains and mountain hiking...but being near them for awhile feels claustrophobic to me.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 8:25am Post subject: Snake's death
I can't imagine what it must be like being so far from the ocean. I love going to the seaside and watching the sea and walking on the beaches finding seashells and mermaid purses. Flat land looks strange to me as I'm so used to being surrounded by hills and everything being uphill or downhill journeys to get to. It looks strange to me on flat land being able to see so far away. Come to the UK banjo and visit the seaside! But not Blackpool or Rhyl because they're horrible places.

Assuming direct control...

j9r

Posted Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 10:04pm Post subject: Snake's death
I can't imagine what it must be like being so far from the ocean. I love going to the seaside and watching the sea and walking on the beaches finding seashells and mermaid purses. Flat land looks strange to me as I'm so used to being surrounded by hills and everything being uphill or downhill journeys to get to. It looks strange to me on flat land being able to see so far away. Come to the UK banjo and visit the seaside! But not Blackpool or Rhyl because they're horrible places.

What the heck is a mermaid's purse?

I once took the train from Chicago to San Francisco with 2 couples from London. We were going through Nevada, it was first light and they asked the conductor how long it would be empty, flat with mountains in the distance. He told them about another 5 hours because we did a lot of the nothingness in the dark. They were having a hard time grasping the concept of nothing for 10 hours. I don't even know how long it would take to go the length of England.

Banjo - I am understand the mountain thing, but it is how I feel about wide open spaces. I love the sense of freedom I get when there is nothing to see all the way to the curve of the earth. But after a while I start feeling vulnerable.

It's a big country so lots of place for what ever your tastes.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka