Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

quantumofire

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

There was an old 50s/60s film called Them! with giant ants caused by a nuclear explosion. It wasn't a bad b&w B movie.

The Joan Collins film was called Empire of the Ants, a real 70s tack-fest with people running around with blown up images of ants superimposed on the background...I saw it once, and it was atrocious.

The Incredible Shrinking Man was quite a decent movie made around the time of films like The Day the Earth Stood Still. As he grows smaller he ends up being lost by his family and I'm sure there's a creepy scene with him being attacked by a spider...a classic film. I remember it from the days when on 6pm, during the week, BBC2 did a run of classic sci-fi films, including The Forbidden Plant.

I saw The Man With the X-ray Eyes only once, and yes, it did star Ray Milland as a man who for some reason develops the ability to see peoples future by looking at them, I remember it was the end that was really creepy, when he took his dark glasses off. I don't know if it was a Roger Corman film or not...but definitely one of his better ones.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

tito

Member *

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 11:41pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

Yes. Joanie was in Empire of the Ants. Now you've told me it springs to mind!

Human Face Cat

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 6:18am Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

Jumping on a bit late here, but the mention of Empire of the Ants reminds me of Phase IV, a film which has my vote for worst film of all time. Not because of any technical incompetence, but because of the perspective on humanity it offers. It's difficult to explain without posting spoilers, so I won't, unless someone can tell me what I need to type in to do that blacked-out-unless-you-highlight-it thing.

He was clumsy, but Edward D. Wood's work is so unguardedly passionate that one never feels unentertained watching his films. They're personal too, of course, he's definately an auteur. He cobbled together his own sort of mythic landscape out of numinous childhood memories of 30s Universal horror reissues, pop-culture detritus (casting wrestlers and local TV personalities) and the excitement of the nuclear age, combined with a really unique personal theology, where aliens called Eros believe in the Judeo-Christian God.

X: the Man with X-Ray Eyes is really something, minutes at a time taken up with avant-garde footage contextualised as the visions of the man with X-ray eyes. Corman does the same trick later in The Trip, using the explanation of LSD to just have fun with every cinematic technique available.

Nitro

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 3:11am Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

When you're out on the street in the dark, don't forget about C.H.U.D ( Cannaballistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDToaLuJ7I

LOL!

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 2:37pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

Aaaaargh! (Tito screams in terror)

'Chuddy' is a name for chewing gum in the East Midlands. In some places as least.

Puts you right off.................................

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 5:31pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

A lot of people may not agree about this, many call it a classic, but it just irritated me to death from start to finish.

It's a kid for two farthings. I do like children a lot but the one in this got on my nerves and that isn't usual for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mApCj_7pS0

quantumofire

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 8:39pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

A classic? I've never seen it or heard of it it's a mystery...
I do agreed the kid is irritating...and the realism seems very mannered...give me Bednobs and Broomsticks any day.

And was that chap posing in front of that camera wearing a wig? If he was it was well stuck on when that wrestler threw him out of the ring.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Sep 30th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

I defy anyone to sit all the way through it. Honestly.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 12:05am Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

What was the name of that dreadful Hammer movie, that starred Peter Cushing, about a woman who turned into blood sucking giant moth...and wasn't there one about a woman who turned into a giant snakewoman?

Some of those Hammer films didn't half plumb the depths...

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 11:39am Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

I don't remember either of these. This is a question for son when he returneth home from work.

speckledband

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 3:31pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

The worse film i have seen? Prom*retch* Night! cliched "horror" movie garbage.I wanted to vomit all through

Maxx England

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 9:09pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

There was a post WW2 book by Wolf Mankiewicz called "A Kid For Two Farthings" which became the film. The Kid in question was a baby goat, and a farthing was a fourth of an old penny = 1/960th of a pound.

But the film was dire. I'm not even going to try and find the book to find out whether Pinewood ruined a good story or Mankiewicz wrote excrement.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 9:13pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

I already posted about this film and did a clip. It is bloody awful.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Oct 9th, 2009 11:18pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

Murder She Wrote or Diagnosis Murder?

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Oct 9th, 2009 11:31pm Post subject: So bad - it's beyond redemption

Murder She Wrote. Dick van Dyke has got lovely hair and sometimes his son takes his shirt off, so Diagnosis Murder at least has some attractions.