Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gemini

Posted Fri Sep 17th, 2010 4:45pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I can't believe I did this - but I did. I wrote sort of a review.

Reading „Moab is my washpot“ left me, and I think almost anybody else who read it, wanting more. But being the cautious person that I am, I couldn’t help feeling somewhere at the back of my head that the old saying “Be careful what you wish for, it might come true” might prove itself right again. Nevertheless I was looking forward to September 13th 2010 with mounting excitement. Well, actually I should have been looking forward to September the 15th instead, because, living across the Channel in Germany, it was on this day that the book was delivered at my doorstep and into my greedy hands. I was literally shaking with excitement while I was tearing the packaging open. And there it was in all its glory- The Fry Chronicles. I’m still not really satisfied with the title that was chosen (either by Stephen or someone at Penguin books I naturally cannot tell). When I pre-ordered it in May it was still called Fry- A Memoir. I liked that. A lot. It had, well, gravitas! But can’t be helped, The Fry Chronicles it is. And as they say “Don’t judge a book by its cover” or its title in this case. So as I said, I tore the cardboard packaging open and of course immediately made my way towards the picture sections. No disappointments there! There are one or two pictures that are already widespread over the internet, but you can’t have everything. The rest are cute, funny and beautiful (yes!)pictures of our hero namely Stephen, his family, one or two of Emma and that guy, erm ..forgot his name I’m afraid. When I had finished drooling over the pictures it was time to start reading it. It took me the better part of three days, sometimes till 2 a.m. And I just had to stop because due to the ungodly hour the words at one point stopped making sense, so I had to postpone it to the next well not really day but day light. So here I am and still wanting more. We will come to that again a little later. All in all it was the book I expected it to be coming from Stephen Fry. It’s the style I love and love to read. It starts with his sugar addiction, one that I thought when he mentioned it before I shared. But now I know I don’t. Not in that extreme. I’m a chocolate junky but Stephen is an all-that-has-a-grain-of-sugar-in-it-junky. Besides I NEVER knew that there are or where so many brands or types of sweets in the UK. Astonishing!! And I just might start to eat and like “Snickers” again.
His description of his days as teacher at Cundall Manor I found funny and touching, especially when he recalled how he once came to punish one of the pupils and the way he handled it. And of course there is Cambridge, and all the life changing things that happened and people he met there. People he continued to work with afterwards and the stories and anecdotes around them and Stephen’s and their first and sometimes more sometimes less successful steps into acting and comedy .And then finally, a lot of money and the beginning of fame. All told in Stephen’s unique style and wit and with the obligatory detour about a million other subjects in between. Yes, and as I wrote above, it left me wanting more because, suddenly, to me at least, it says “In the meantime, thank you for your company.” Promising another volume or perhaps a novel, maybe one of the kind that starts with the words “Not one of the following words is true” because they’re the best kind!
But of course there were two things – one slightly disappointing and one slightly annoying. The disappointing one was the fact that he wrote almost nothing about the Footlights tour through Australia. Maybe more surprising than disappointing really but still. I mean, you are in your early twenties, it’s your first time in Australia you spend three months there and that all culminates in less than two pages? Mm it must have left Stephen quite unimpressed then. It wouldn’t have me and I’m sure even I would have come up with more than two pages, although I’m normally all but eloquent when it comes to writing things down. (This being I guess the big exception.)And now the slightly annoying one. Well, maybe you can guess what’s coming. As Stephen himself writes on page 408 “.....,why should anyone bleat on about what they feel inside all the time? It isn’t dignified, it isn’t interesting and it isn’t attractive.” No, this constant self hate isn’t attractive – but Stephen definitely is!

miesque

Posted Fri Sep 17th, 2010 5:11pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Well I'm only a third of the way thro but I'm ready to express my sincere gratitude to Monsieur Fry.
Life hasn't been fair to me recently & there ain't been anything to smile about since my husband died 9 & 1/2 weeks ago. But after laughing out loud on page 2 (appended superscibed obelisks) I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Thanks Stephen for clutching me by the claw & careering me thro the chambres of collective comedic capers x

Shabble

Posted Sat Sep 18th, 2010 11:41pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Just finished the Chronicles, well this edition anyway. Not meaning to spoil, it but you left us with a cliffhanger there ma' boy!
I have to say, there's only one way to read the book, and that's on a Kindle! I just got one and the first thing I read was your book, I probably should have read the manual first but couldn't put the Fry Chronicles down!

Dirk Olbertz

Posted Sun Sep 19th, 2010 7:30pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I just started reading it today, but I like it so far (half way through right now) and probably will continue reading it after I finished this post.

But there is a question I have right after the first few pages: why is the letter Q printed differently? Sorry to ask, but I cannot find an answer to that probably obvious question... And every time I came across this I wonder wether it is specific to that book, or specific to penguin books - I think this is my first - at least as a hardcover.

I almost don't dare to tell what I think it is, but seeing you Brits (no meaning to be disrespectful here!) so proud of your monachy I think it has something to do with the Queen? While googling for this Q-Letter-Thing, I also came across a reference to Queer (I found that on Wikipedia). Both together somehow seem to be on the opposite side of possibilities for this Q-Letter-Thing, but who know's?!

Please help a Kraut here and tell me, what it's all about, please?

Hush

Posted Mon Sep 20th, 2010 6:17pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I have checked and can only find a lower case 'q' (Q). Is that what you mean Dirk?

And proud is a very liberal term for my opinion of our monarchy, who, to be fair, are more German than English Although Harry seems to have turned out normal and well adjusted.

In regards to the book, it is as delicious as the sweet shops described in the opening chapters. Thank you, as always Stephen, for forcing me to use Google at least once a page. At least.

Dirk Olbertz

Posted Mon Sep 20th, 2010 7:39pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

No, I mean the uppercase Q which is always going under at least two letters following the Q. No other letter is printed that sophisticated.

But maybe it's just the way the Q is in that font?!

neale

Posted Tue Sep 28th, 2010 9:07pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

You have just accompanied me on a fantastic holiday in Barcelona, or rather your new book has. Loved it!! Love you!! Next one soon please.

pebbles

Posted Thu Sep 30th, 2010 8:33am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Mine came a bit earlier than they'd said it would . I read it in one day and was grumpy when it ended so suddenly and there were no more pages. But my (delayed) copy of "Paperweight" should arrive any day now...

Thoughts (random)...

Being a privacy fanatic, I had felt nervous about the issue of him writing about his famous friends. But he handled it all in a way that was completely comfortable and acceptable. *climbs back onto his lap and purrs*

Loved the pictures!

I'm a little disappointed on one level...it's not Stephen's fault, but since he shares my feelings of guilt, self-disgust and self-doubt to such a huge extent and has lived almost twice as long as I have (and read a lot more), I had hoped that he might have found an answer or two by now. But he seems to remain stuck at the "Is this just human or am I a monster" stage himself. Ah, well...

A propos guilt, I love his optimism. Guilt usually make me wonder whether a mess like me has any right to an opinion left at all. Surely the thing to do is to shut up. Writing one's autobiography, especially in the way he has done, is as far opposite to that reflex as one can get. It seems to show a trust in people and/or a hopefulness that I find beautiful, and role-model-y, and that should be rewarded with lots of love.

He didn't have the nerve to look up their Saturday Live sketches, so easily available on youtube. Awww.

I don't trust his memory too much. But it's the man's ideas and thoughts about the world that I'm interested in, so it doesn't matter whether he gets the details right or not.

As a huge "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" fan, I wish those years had been included (I also wish they hadn't been a dark time in his life ).

The part about coming out of the dark of the forest into better times made me cry. Like the scene in "Kingdom" where his character said that good things do happen, they really do...people should be told this kind of thing more often. And if it sounds believable coming from anyone, it's Stephen.

So...no, I don't know if you're a goodie or a baddie, Stephen . I only know that I'm no better than you are and that it's nice to have company one way or another. (((hugs)))

moresushinow

Posted Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 7:02pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I quite simply adored every sentence....Unputdownable. You're just wonderful.

writetowrite

Posted Mon Oct 11th, 2010 8:53pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I can think of a gazillion things I'd like to say about this book, but for fear of boring everyone to tears, it's... perfect.

Please don't make us wait too long for the next one!

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would 'be' no religious people". Dr Gregory House.

thewritetowrite

GSS

Posted Tue Oct 12th, 2010 3:42am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Happened on the hard back edition in the airport bookshop and crammed it into my carry-on before an 8 hour international flight. Had read most of it by the time we'd landed (not all - had to have a brief snooze).

writetowrite

Posted Tue Oct 12th, 2010 3:00pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

GSS said:
Happened on the hard back edition in the airport bookshop and crammed it into my carry-on before an 8 hour international flight.

I take it you did pay for it?

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would 'be' no religious people". Dr Gregory House.

thewritetowrite

gemini

Posted Tue Oct 12th, 2010 4:35pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

@writetowrite Can I just say that House icon on Fry page totally wins?! And so does the quote you're using as signature!

paigetheoracle

Posted Wed Oct 13th, 2010 10:24am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Is there any mention of his time at Kings Lynn Technical college here?

GSS

Posted Thu Oct 14th, 2010 8:27am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

writetowrite said:
I take it you did pay for it?

Oh...ummm...er