Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

writetowrite

Posted Thu Oct 14th, 2010 10:42am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

gemini said:
@writetowrite Can I just say that House icon on Fry page totally wins?! And so does the quote you're using as signature!

Why, thank you... although some may disagree on both counts.

I've been feeling the love for Mr Fry's colleague for more than twenty years. It's a ridiculous and, I'm afraid, incurable foible that doesn't seem to want to leave me.

I also happen to think the character of Gregory House is the best-written character on television and so perfectly realised by Hugh.

As this is a Stephen Fry forum... I'll shut up now.

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would 'be' no religious people". Dr Gregory House.

thewritetowrite

writetowrite

Posted Thu Oct 14th, 2010 10:43am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

GSS said:
Oh...ummm...er

I thought not.

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would 'be' no religious people". Dr Gregory House.

thewritetowrite

gemini

Posted Fri Oct 15th, 2010 4:23pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

writetowrite said:
As this is a Stephen Fry forum... I'll shut up now. :oops:/blockquote>

I'm sure Stephen wouldn't mind!

GSS

Posted Sat Oct 16th, 2010 9:05am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

writetowrite said:
I thought not.

O' course I paid for it. Stop thinking the worst of people. I handed over some folding specie to the monumentally bored looking sales person and made my egress with as much haste as possible (they were calling my flight).

Anewor

Posted Thu Oct 21st, 2010 2:05pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Just finished LISTENING to The Liar and The Fry Chronicles (audiobooks read by SF) consecutively - what a treat!

I really enjoyed The Liar - not having heard of Donald Trefusis before or having any idea what was going on until towards the end didn't harm my enjoyment at all, I still had many LOL moments!

And don't get me started on The Fry Chronicles... I remember how much I enjoyed Moab and wishing there was more and after so long, here it is and I am again immediately wishing there was more. I hope it doesn't take as long before the next instalment is written/released!

I just LOVE his voice and language and could listen to SF talk all day and frequently do what with his reading of the Harry Potter books and now I am downloading the podcasts...

Stephen Fry for President!

Pandora

Posted Fri Oct 22nd, 2010 2:22pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I've just finished reading The Fry Chronciles after three days of doing very little else (half term allows for this). I absolutely loved it. Stephen Fry writes so beautifully and so honestly. Two lasting thoughts from it really....Firstly, I wish he loved himself more - Stephen if you should ever read this - you seem a very gentle, kind, wise and insightful man. Secondly, he's ignited a passion to go and explore the arts a little more - he writes about the gift of curiousity and it's made me want to rush to London to see all of the plays I read about and never get around to seeing. Thank you so much for writing such a frank and personal account, I'm sure there are plently of us that could identify with the 'bleaker' feelings you've had. xxxxxxxxx

Sam Robinson

Posted Fri Oct 22nd, 2010 6:30pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I am currently halfway through reading the Fry Chonicles and is it just me or does Stephen keep spelling things like "realised" in the way an American would? Maybe its just me caring about silly little things like this, but there we go!

Apart from the US spellings it is so far an excellent read, and I find it difficult at times to put it down as you can get so immersed into the book, which is very similar to all the other books written by the great Fry.

Best wishes, and thank you Stephen, keep up the good work!

fizzie

Posted Mon Oct 25th, 2010 2:57pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I was given Stephens Autobiography as a gift, from a friend for my Birthday I found it to be a very interesting read. I can Picture Ben Elton calling everything "Crusty" ha ha.
Fantastic read well written Stephen

Fizzie

Wibble71

Posted Sun Nov 28th, 2010 7:16am Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

I bought "The Chronicles" covering your time at Cambridge on iTunes so that I could listen to your book read by your very own velvet tones.

I found it to be a very honest and candid account, which took me on a fascinating inside journey through the workings of Cambridge, parts of the Beeb, and other places.

One thing which really stood out for me was the humility (is that the right word?) with which you acknowledged the privileged and sheltered life which most public schoolboys (and girls)lead. I thank you for this as I had some unkind stereotypes shattered. I strive (at least in the last few years) to be an observer of the theatre of my mind, and of the false productions it can put on.

Listening to your warm tones is the aural equivalent of downing unending flagons of Butterbeer. Also, I thank you for the nostalgic trip through the ostentatious neighbourhood of the eighties.

A triumph! I look forward to the next book, I have no doubt that it will be as human, rich and funny as the last. (Not to put you under any pressure or anything)

Triplesmeg

Posted Mon Dec 20th, 2010 5:52pm Post subject: So, I've read "The Fry Chronicles"... (may contain spoilers)

Dear Stephen, I'm not sure if your read these posts yourself, but just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed your Chronicles, they were insighful, interesting and funny. Plus I admire your refreshing honesty about 'your darker sight' - I am not talking about that "interesting" haircut from your youth, but about the insecurities you suffer from. I certainly share some of those, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Thank goodness. Then after I finished the book, you made a surprise guest appearance on my dining table, because while I was putting together a Top Gear jigsaw puzzle, I discovered you were on it, in your cab.
Good luck with your future endeavours, I'm sure they will also spread sweetness and light!