Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 1:06pm Post subject: So what causes it??
After the years of having this i have never understood what causes the swing from manic to depression.
All the doctors i have seen have never answered that. I see no reason why the manic phase turns into the depressive even though it happens to me.
Odd thing to write about but it is a fair issue

meekychuppet

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 4:05pm Post subject: So what causes it??
Nobody knows. The chemical changes and brain activity associated with most mental illnesses don't really apply either which is interesting.

I often wonder if it is a mutation, an evolutionary change but it's hard to see why nature would select Bipolar sufferers

mazikeen

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 10:13am Post subject: So what causes it??
It's partly genetic, but probably life events can make it worse

for me it's not so hard to see why nature has selected it;
I see in many pathologies (like OCD or phobias) coping mechanisms that manifest themselves to a much more extreme extent than in 'normal' people.

I suppose that the extent to which manic people can build up agression and courage probably made them fierce warriors. (I know a 24 year old girl with MD who had to be sectioned and it took 5 men to get her into a room and give her a shot, haha).

For me that explains why stress is a trigger (war coming up, anxiety, ...) and also why so many women with MD experience their first manic episode after giving birth.

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 12:26pm Post subject: So what causes it??
It's partly genetic, but probably life events can make it worse

for me it's not so hard to see why nature has selected it;
I see in many pathologies (like OCD or phobias) coping mechanisms that manifest themselves to a much more extreme extent than in 'normal' people.

I suppose that the extent to which manic people can build up agression and courage probably made them fierce warriors. (I know a 24 year old girl with MD who had to be sectioned and it took 5 men to get her into a room and give her a shot, haha).

For me that explains why stress is a trigger (war coming up, anxiety, ...) and also why so many women with MD experience their first manic episode after giving birth.

Selection would need to give a reproductive advantage so I would question your reasoning, however, MD is characterised in many ways, one being accelerated/elevatde sexual desire and drive so that could be a factor.

mazikeen

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 1:03pm Post subject: So what causes it??
so a double advantage then ?
more likely to have a large offspring
more fierce when it needs to be protected ?

I don't know,
for me it's a way of looking at pathology: it's just an exaggeration of what other people have inside them (e.g. you can get almost anyone psychotic, with the right amount of sleep deprivation)