Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AC

Posted Mon May 3rd, 2010 4:36am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I listen to music pretty much constantly, so I'm curious to see what you all like. I like some R&B/soul kind of stuff (Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys), as well as some 50s/60s oldies and folk music. However, rock is my favorite genre. I really like U2, Led Zeppelin, Patti Scialfa, and Alanis Morissette. That probably seems like a bit of a random bunch, I know. However, my absolute favorite is Bruce Springsteen (who happens to be married to Patti Scialfa, actually). I just absolutely love his sound and think he's one of the best songwriters of all time--such brilliant lyrics that are so easy to connect with. If I ever get to see him in concert, my life will be a little more complete.

Okay, your turn I'd love to know what you guys listen to and maybe discover some new favorites for myself!

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Texas Skald

Posted Mon May 3rd, 2010 5:32am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Oh gee, my music tastes are strange but broad. I grew up listening to zydeco music and classic/Southern rock, mostly Creedence Clearwater, ZZ Top, Lynard Skynnard etc, and so on. However, I was also brought up with classical music. Boccherini, Prokofiev, Bach (I almost typed it the way I pronounce it)
, Mozart, Locatelli, Vivaldi, and the rest. Therefore I love any music in those categories. But I discovered my true musical love in Celtic and other forms of folk music. I go to see the Chieftains whenever they come to Fort Worth, and I play Celtic music on my classical guitar too. Bluegrass and the banjo, uiellian pipes (spelling, please?) bagpipes (yay for Scottish heritage!), old whaling chanties, and Old Norse folk songs (yay for Norse heritage!). I also love soundtrack music, such as scores by Hans Zimmer, and I enjoy select 'deathmetal' bands like Nightwish and Man of War and Rammstein. And of course, to crown it all off, I LOVE Gregorian chants and medieval vocal pieces. Beautiful and very moody. Great to listen to when reading a history book or writing poetry.

Thank you for starting this thread! Music is such a wonderful thing and its a big part of my life, so I love to go on and on about it.

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

speckledband

Posted Mon May 3rd, 2010 12:49pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

(in no order)...The Smiths,Morrissey,The Beatles,Madness,Blur,The Sundays,Gene,New York Dolls,Mott The Hoople,David Bowie,The Monkees,Bad News,Spinal Tap,The Who,The Kinks,Longpigs,The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band,The Rutles,Supergrass,T-Rex,The Ramones,Sex Pistols,Buzzcocks,The Jam,The Stranglers,XTC,The Cure,Cocteau Twins,Nirvana,Hole,Oasis,Pulp,Elastica,Paul Weller,Graham Coxon,My Bloody Valentine,Super Furry Animals,Kasabian,Teardrop Explodes,The Specials,A Flock Of Seagulls,Duran Duran,Jimi Hendrix,Patti Smith,Roxy Music,Led Zepellin,Queen,Fleetwood Mac,The Velevet Underground,Sparks,The Stone Roses,Happy Mondays,Wire.

ad_astra

Posted Mon May 3rd, 2010 1:38pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I like David Bowie, Tom Waits, The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Janis Joplin, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Dianne Reeves, Die Ärzte (German punk band), African/South African/kwaito music like Brenda Fassie, Mafikizolo, Freshlyground and the legendary Miriam Makeba.

I also love classical music. Bach who is my favourite composer of all time, Vivaldi, Mozart, Dvorak, Wagner and so many more I can't name them all.

ad_astra

Posted Mon May 3rd, 2010 3:46pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Oh, I forgot to mention Delia Derbyshire. Shame on me

marzgirl

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 9:04pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

My latest obsession is Biffy Clyro. I like Ben Harper, Paolo Nutini and alot of others already mentioned. I saw Morrissey in concert when I was 15. I was over the moon!!!!!

Ben Harper for those not familiar.....Kind of funk, blues, rock.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpns_a4Nuvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLiguB_ZyY

And Biffy Clyro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxUb9Yzr1sE

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 9:10pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Not sure if the video makes the song or the song makes the video. Funny!!!! Cheers me up everytime!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTeZPHPKdps

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 9:15pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Texas Skald said:
Bluegrass and the banjo, uiellian pipes (spelling, please?) bagpipes (yay for Scottish heritage!), old whaling chanties, and Old Norse folk songs (yay for Norse heritage!).

Thank you for starting this thread! Music is such a wonderful thing and its a big part of my life, so I love to go on and on about it.

Thank you for posting about the Norse folk songs!!!! I am trying to trace my roots back to see if my people were Vikings. My maiden name is Thurmond (Thor's protection). The first mention of this name is in the Doomsday books 1066. Would be the coolest ever if I could trace my line that far!!!!!!

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Texas Skald

Posted Wed May 5th, 2010 12:36am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

marzgirl said:
Thank you for posting about the Norse folk songs!!!! I am trying to trace my roots back to see if my people were Vikings. My maiden name is Thurmond (Thor's protection). The first mention of this name is in the Doomsday books 1066. Would be the coolest ever if I could trace my line that far!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXXXdf-a6LI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH9OFHp3Xdk&feature=related

Some really good Norse folk songs! Icelandic.

Yay Nordic roots!

Not all who wander are lost. In fact those who do wander are a lot cooler than those who don't.

crumejack

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 6:15am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I mostly like hip-hop, rock and punk, and i mostly listen to American, British bands, in other words the ones i can understand. Sometimes i listen to some German bands.

marzgirl

Posted Fri May 7th, 2010 6:38am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Thank you!!!!!

Just heard this song a few days ago and thought I would share.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKjOOR9sPU

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

speckledband

Posted Mon May 10th, 2010 8:09pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I've been listning to The Small Faces a lot over the last couple of days, they were awesome, which also means I'm now interested in hearing some of Humble Pie's songs.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue May 11th, 2010 12:53am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

We also have this thread for your reading pleasure:
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/topic/muuuuuuuusic

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Boog

Posted Mon May 17th, 2010 7:20pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

All of it

"Murphy was an optimist."

AC

Posted Mon May 17th, 2010 7:41pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Good answer, Boog!

I will listen to almost anything once. I won't necessarily like it, but I try to be as open-minded about music as possible.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde