Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Thu Jan 13th, 2011 8:49pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Since I know that not only Stephen Fry but many users here have a great taste of music I'd like to share mine with other music fans.

If I had to name only three musicians I love I'd say:
Queen, Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk.
Queen is one of the ultimate leaders of rock music to me, Pink Floyd is like a musical journey for/through my soul and Kraftwerk is my favourite German band who was also very innovative with their electronic music.
Both have in common that they have tons of good songs which I also can sing along.

Other bands/musicians I can't live without:
The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Nina Simone, Mouse on Mars, Peter Gabriel, Aphex Twin, Oingo Boingo, Pearl Jam, The Notwist, Babylon Zoo, Stoppok, Nine Inch Nails, Rhapsody, GorillaZ, Die Ärzte (but only until their last good album to me in 1998), The Ramones, Enya, Röyksopp and some others I enjoy as much

General genres I like:
Rock, Metal, Classical, Soundtracks (both movies and games), Alternative, Grunge, Punk, Jazz.
"Musical centuries" I especially find interesting:
1920's-1940's, 1960s, 1980s.

Music I can't stand a minute:
99 % of hit radio sh*t (that goes up and down in the recent charts and is played a hundred times a day), soulless German "schlager" music, hip hop and songs that already start with lascivious moaning by some popular pop princess.

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

AC

Posted Sun Jan 16th, 2011 6:42am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Another band I've gotten into lately is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Heard one song and immediately got hooked.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

thoughtful_wish

Posted Fri Jan 21st, 2011 5:58am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I'm never good at listing favourite artists because I always seem to miss things out. My favourite genre is probably rock/alt-rock - mostly older stuff that no one my age has a clue about. Also love musicals and original film scores; I'm currently obsessed with the soundtrack of "A Beautiful Mind" - it is so hauntingly beautiful and painful (I sang "All Love Can Be" at my last concert). I also like classical music on occasion, but not all the time and not every composer/style. Actually, I'm really okay with most genres.

However, I am not okay with that absolutely loathesome auto-tuned, hypersexed, overexpletive, mass-manufactured, Top-40 rectal gravy that comes splashing out of almost every radio station.

Phew. A short rant, but a satisfying one.

@Tabascofanatikerin: I haven't heard of all the bands you listed, but of the ones I did know - you've got good taste

Hand in hand we can marvel together at the strangeness of the human condition.
- Stephen

Bianca: Why did you not tell me you were so strong?
Simone: Why did you not tell me you were beautiful?
- Oscar

@thoughtful_wish

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 21st, 2011 4:59pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Some of the comments about radio pablum fed to the masses reminds me of an answer Keith Richards gave to an interviewer who asked what he thought of popular music:

"99% of everything is shit."

I adore Keith's 'put it all out there' personality

My musical tastes run across the board and sometimes change. I'm not anti any particular genre but am skeptical of music purposely created to 'appeal' to mainstream radio formatting because I know that so much of what gets played is weighed against what Advertisers are comfortable with.

There are a few albums I never get tired of hearing and one of them is by The Velvet Underground. At their time, they didn't exactly sell a lot of albums ( wild understatement there ), but as one person said,"Nearly everyone who ever bought a Velvet Underground album started a band." Their songs influenced SO many well known acts and continue to do so. They're also evidence of, believe it or not, Andy Warhol's very generous nature to other artists. He gave a ton of 'misfits' the environment to explore their own talents and I don't care what anyone says about him otherwise, that's a damned great thing to do for other artists.

"Everyone who knew us thought we were great. But we never had a pot to piss in." -- Lou Reed

Really? Wow.

mvet88

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 2:00am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I think pop music is getting a raw deal here. I love good pop music and I'm not ashamed to say so . Music that can make me smile, sing along and dance - whats wrong with that? TBH I don't give a toss if the signer didn't write the song or whether its autotuned. If you are young, attractive and can hold a note then why not get Max Martin to write you a tune and get yourself a top 10 hit? (For those who don't know, Max Martin is probably responsible for about 50% of the songs playing on commercial radio )

Ok, now I've completely shot my credibility here are some of my favourite musicians:
AFI, The Killers (sob, come back soon!) , The Gaslight Anthem, Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, Mika, Rancid, New Order, Weezer, The Get Up Kids, Teenage Fanclub and I think I better stop there as you are probably falling asleep.

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 2:50am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

mvet, good for you standing up for yourself

I understand, actually, The Killers just announced they're putting out a new album. Maybe go to their website and see for yourself if I'm wrong? I may have misheard, I dunno.

I don't have a problem with POPular music so much as radio friendly music. That could be ANY genre. It's not picked for radio just because it makes people happy ( they can't know that in advance, except on formulaic guessing ).

'Pop' music isn't, technically, a particular *style* of music ( like rythym and blues, jazz, classical, rock n' roll, country, swing, bluegrass, and a host of other styles of music world wide ) . You know, there are 'pop standards' for instance. And that includes pop standards of old like Dean Martin, Patsy Cline, Cole Porter, and many others.

I don't like radio because radio is so controlled by corporate parents whose primary interest is in advertising dollars. This means that songs have to meet a certain criteria and the primary one is NOT to offend advertisers. It has not always been like that. But as, for instance, a company like Clear Channel went about gobbling up radio stations and firing human DJ's, they changed radio in a very bad way. Acts that once could hope to get a break if they could just get DJ X to play their album and LET THE AUDIENCE decide...well, that just is not the case anymore. Where it is the case still, nominally, is college radio stations ( thank the gods for those! ). And so long as there are censors in the FCC waiting to hear if some songwriter, god forbid, used a word considered offensive ( insert the F word here ), radio will always be about 'playing safe songs'. Well, 'safe' doesn't make everyone happy LOL Some of us actually aren't put off by it. And some songs I've heard, if they were re-worded, would be far less powerful IMHO than if they are not. I just hate the idea some disembodied something is decided how mature or immature I am for me.

And don't forget both Elvis and The Beatles, who now seem so innocuous, were considered 'threats' to kids during that time. Subversive, perverse, etc etc. All those kids are now stockholders in Clear Channel or telling the rest of us what's perverse now Finally, there are some blues songs that SOUND really dreary but frankly, make me wildly happy to hear. Taste and subjectiveness and all that

Really? Wow.

mvet88

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 1:35pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Nitro, don't you get independent or 'alternative' radio stations over there? Australia has a few that play music not normally heard on the commercial stations. The F word doesn't really cause much problems over here. Its generally blanked out during the day but a lot of stations won't bother after about 10pm. I don't mind the radio so much as the DJ's they hire. Most of them seem to want to share mundane details about their pointless lives or fawn over celebrities. Maybe I'm just getting old

Nitro

Posted Sat Jan 22nd, 2011 2:42pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

"Most of them seem to want to share mundane details about their pointless lives or fawn over celebrities. Maybe I'm just getting old."

I hope making observations doesn't by default make one old If so, I'm a mummy. ( the wrapped up in cloths kind, not the English mother kind ). 'pointless lives' is kinda rough though, even for me But...maybe being a radio dj feels pointless after a while...

We do get indie stations here but not all states have them. Where I'm at now, the nearest indy station is a college radio station. And they play wayyyyy better, at least in terms of variety, selections than the 'classic rawwwwk' stations or the god awful rest of the mainstream cack. But, there's one station devoted to jazz that's actually very good. Their formats aren't repetitive and the dj's don't sound like morons who can't uncross their eyes, once crossed. So, all is not lost

Really? Wow.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Aug 12th, 2011 3:02pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

We don't get any alternative radio stations here sadly. Sometimes I hear about interesting radio stations but you can only pick them up if you're in the London area. I don't really listen to much radio for music. Just the classical channels like Classic FM and Radio 3. My favourite station ever was thejazz (Classic FM's sister station). I was so sad when they took it down.

I love all sorts of music, I love rock, metal (different subgenres), jazz, swing, classical, punk, synthpop, New Wave, New Romantic, goth, industrial, EBM and darkwave to name a few. I love musicals, in particular those written by Cole Porter and occasionally I like to listen to j-pop and visual kei rock.

My favourite arist ever is David Bowie. Other bands and singers I love include The Stranglers, Rammstein, Emilie Autumn, The Birthday Massacre, Zombina and the Skeletones, Uberbyte, Schmoof, Queen, Placebo, Sisters of Mercy, Marilyn Manson, ASP, Pink, Avril Lavigne, Aqua, Starsailor, Ardor, Screaming Banshee Aircrew, Cruxshadows, Japan, Malice Mizer, Sex Pistols, Jack Off Jill, Nick Cave the Bad Seeds, The Cure, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Frank Sinatra, Cab Calloway, The Beatles, Sham 69, The Undertones, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Voltaire, Ghost of Lemora, Lacuna Coil and plenty more.

I like exploring new music and earlier this year I wanted to hear something new so after reading a review on Gothic Charm School I purchased 'The Sepiachord Passport' which is a compilation of steampunk influenced and dark cabaret tracks.

http://www.sepiachord.com/cdannounce2.htm

You can buy it on Amazon easily enough. I recommend it to anyone wanting to try something new and different.

Assuming direct control...

Astronomeradam

Posted Sun Sep 18th, 2011 3:53pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I generally need it to be played by people, not machines. Aside from that. Have a bewilderingly huge collection. If I had to pick a favourite genre then it is progressive rock all the way for me.

If you wish to learn something then the night sky is the best university you could hope to attend. Have a look tonight.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Oct 19th, 2011 4:15am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Indigo Girls have a new album!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/OXJkRxVqEEw

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Wed Nov 9th, 2011 7:46am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Hugh Laurie!!! Scroll down and watch all 4!!!! Brilliant!!! Wonder if the neck tie was a gift from Stephen!!!!

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/live/talking-hugh-211128118.html

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Mon Nov 14th, 2011 6:09pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I would give my eye teeth to see these guys live!!

http://youtu.be/RHgQmdO49PA

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Finningham

Posted Wed Jan 11th, 2012 7:25pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

For me almost anything that personifies the era of free love and hippydom. Beatles Stones Kinks Jefferson Cream etc etc
I like all kinds but as I am getting older I am developing an ear for opera (sssh dont tell my mates).

jjdavis2

Posted Thu Jan 12th, 2012 9:02pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Anything by Francoise Hardy from the 60s and 70s. Growing up in the States, I'd never heard her, or even of her. Quel shame! A bit of youtube serendipity ("Who's that girl?") and she's now my favorite, I even opened an amazon.fr account to buy her back catalog and have friends scouring flea markets for her on vinyl. This would all make considerably more sense if I actually spoke French. I also like that it seemed to be kinder, gentler time in pop music.