Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TomHRXi

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 7:48am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

i like rap and hip hop,
even arabic and russian songs

Clive

Posted Sat May 5th, 2012 2:27pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I used to mainly like Indie-slash-rock-slash-alternative-slash-folk-slash-modern Country-slash-Classic Rock. I've never particularly liked Slash, though. He's a Heavy Metal singer, isn't he?

But...

Several months ago, I bought Hugh Laurie's blues album, as a matter of course, because I liked him in 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie.'

I was blown away. Halfway down the street, as a matter of fact - it was a very windy day. But when I got back to my feet and dusted myself off, I listened to the album.

And I immediately became obsessed with Blues music. It's been a brilliant thing, discovering a whole new genre and getting excited about it, but it's also been shaming, because I've realised how little I actually know about the music I enjoy and its influences - most of it, I see now, has its roots in Blues.

The biggest gobsmacking thing in all of this is that I've always loved Tom Waits, and I wasn't even aware of half of his influences. I'm so ashamed never to have heard of Howlin' Wolf.

This is my list of favourite Blues musicians:

Lightnin' Hopkins
Howlin' Wolf
Professor Longhair
Sonny Boy Williamson I
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Son House
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blind Willie McTell
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Kokomo Arnold
Robert Lockwood
Bukka White

Lightnin' Hopkins is so good because his songs are so sinister, but they've got such a sense of humour - 'Black Cat Bone' makes a shiver run down my spine, and I don't think I've heard a song with a more gleeful reference to lesbianism than 'Let Me Play With Your Poodle.' Then there's that lyric in 'Shinin' Moon,' - 'Don't the shinin' moon look pretty, shinin' down through the trees?/I can see my baby when she don't see me.' How creepy is that?

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Jemstein123

Posted Sat May 5th, 2012 9:11pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Bauhaus, Danse Society, Joy Division, R.E.M, Pet Shop Boys, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, David Bowie, Japan, Kraftwerk, Rosetta Stone, Dali's Car, UK Decay, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Einsturzende Neubauten, Dead Can Dance, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children, KMFDM, Front 242, Ultravox, virgin prunes, The Swans, Fleet Foxes, The Black Keys, Cream, Last Harbor, royksopp Patti Smith and many more obscurities.

pfisterfarm

Posted Tue Jun 26th, 2012 5:46pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Thanks for the great thread... I'm enjoying it immensely. I love music, all kinds -- I don't think there's really any genres I don't like at all. Some kinds I like better than others, but great music can be found anywhere. I like classical, jazz, classic rock, and a lot of what is termed new age music (never did particularly care for that term, but I don't have anything better to suggest).

EmEdv

Posted Tue Jul 24th, 2012 10:33am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I don't really have a genre that I listen to exclusively. I'd rather mention bands or musicians as a way of answering the question. My favourite band is Radiohead. When I discovered them I was in a dark place, and I recognized myself in their lyrics. It gave me strength to end a self-destructing relationship. Therefor I owe them many thanks, and they'll always be my favourite because of that.

Other than Radiohead I listen to bands like, Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, Radical Face, Fleet Foxes, Coldplay, U2, The Beatles, Okkervil River.. Etc. Indie I think would be the term to describe the genre I mostly listen to.

I also listen to classical music quite often, it's beautiful, harmonic, complex and absolutely wonderful.

I like music that stands out, and when it comes to lyrics, it's important for me to have lyrics that means something. Otherwise I'll easily get tired of the song if it's just nonsense about hoes, bitches and money as it often are when it comes to rap and r'n'b which I must say doesn't make up a genre I generally listens to.

Cheers!

Clive

Posted Sat Jul 28th, 2012 7:22pm Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I just had to say this somewhere:

I SAW DR. JOHN LIVE LAST SUNDAY!

It ranks up there with the most amazing nights of my life thus far. It even beats the first time I had sex (though that was actually vaguely disappointing - it doesn't even make in into the top ten).

I could hardly believe he played a concert so close to my home town, and that I didn't have to break the bank to afford tickets!

He was in an electric blue suit and a flat cap and shades and he had his voodoo stick and his band was amazing.

The best bit was the first time he turned around casually as he was playing the baby grand and began to play the organ behind him WITH THE OTHER HAND. The dude was playing TWO PIANOS AT THE SAME TIME, and he looked as cool as he might drinking a cup of tea!

His trombone player was particularly good (and pretty, which was a nice bonus - apologies for objectifying her). I never thought of the trombone as a sexy instrument, but somehow, she managed to make it sexy. Which reminds me, I loved how, when he was introducing the members of his band and their instruments, he said, 'GUI-tar' and 'TROM-bone,' instead of 'gui-TAR' and 'trom-BONE.' It just was the best thing ever. I'm still on a high, LOL.

Dr. John FTW!

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

AlieSmith

Posted Sat Nov 10th, 2012 11:59am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

I listen to jazz or classical music almost all the time. My latest musical discovery was a new cd of Maxim Rysanov called "Pavane", which I've found at eclassical.com and which includes compositions of Claude Debussy, Richard Dubugnon, Gabriel Faure and Maurice Ravel. I love it!

jasmine meyer

Posted Fri May 3rd, 2013 11:40am Post subject: So what music does everybody like?

Hi there,

Well it depends on my mood, sometime I love to play slow music and when I am in a party Pop and jazz are often a popular choice for me. This type of music is a hit with youngsters at the moment, as most dancers follow it regularly and everyone is drawn towards the dance floor because of its rhythmic beats.

While searching on the Internet for a good collection of songs, I came across a good site i.e. http://www.musicforte.com - they will give you the best club music of contemporary and classic times at your required choice and budget too.