Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Oleg_Pavlov

Posted Wed Aug 7th, 2013 6:19pm Post subject: Sochi Olympics

I am Russian and i am not very much gay but i support the Stephen's initiative. People, you must boycott it! It can affect those guys. They do not hear us, Russian people, so maybe this boycott will be able to change the situation.

The Olymics is an apotheosis of Putin's regime, so it could be a strong strike to boycott it.

Putin's regime makes insane crimes not only for LGBT. Actually, LGBT is a small piece of this cake. They make children hostage, they jail innocent people, they kill Russian culture, Russian economy, the future of Russia.

Stephen, thanks a lot for your unindifference.

P.S. And thank you for your professional activity.

mariyamacmac

Posted Wed Aug 7th, 2013 8:55pm Post subject: Sochi Olympics

Dear Steven, you can achieve much more if you persuade EVERY athlete to wear LGBT badge during the Olympic games Otherwise if the UK ignores the event, it just means Russians, Americans and Chinese will get more medals - gay or not.

jtg

Posted Thu Aug 8th, 2013 11:28pm Post subject: Sochi Olympics

The Olympics are a product of a culture that embraced homosexuality, if the Russian government wants to ban homosexual propaganda, what are they doing hosting the Olympics? If Putin approved the Russia bid for the games, he must be the first to face the law.

Judy Harris

Posted Fri Aug 9th, 2013 9:41am Post subject: Sochi Olympics

I am neither gay nor Jewish. As a human being I am ashamed of what other human beings can do to each-other. Is there a petition that can be set up to urge for the Olympics to be boycotted?

tuco

Posted Sat Aug 10th, 2013 11:52am Post subject: Sochi Olympics

Mr Fry makes a good case, but I am aware non-participation might seem wholly disproportionate to any one individual athelete. It might be true however, that its just not on to stand by and let tyranny have its way, again and again. I do remember some history though, Jesse Owens exposed Hitlers insane race hypothesis at least 4 times in 1936. Of course no one would wish to deny him that achievement, or Tommie smiths 1968 affirmation either. There is politics in sport, to do with the people indeed. I'd sign that petition, and should consider it wise to write letters in concord with Fryman.

katyavines

Posted Sun Aug 11th, 2013 11:24am Post subject: Sochi Olympics

I would like to thank Stephen Fry for his ongoing fight for human rights! I am Russian, and I feel powerless against this regime of hypocricy and terror. Our government refuses to hear any opposition, and continues to make life difficult and unpleasant for Russian citizens. However, if there was a real threat of international outrage against Putin's policies, something could change.
Even if it doesn't, I am immensely grateful to Mr. Fry for trying to make a change.

SomeKindOfStranger

Posted Sun Aug 11th, 2013 2:15pm Post subject: Sochi Olympics

Dear Stephen Fry. I'm writing to warn you about Russian anti-lgbt democracy.
I've found extremists' video that was shown on russian TV widely.
http://youtu.be/2NlayCtujlU
It's called fascism TV reasonably. The narrator leading his speech says this:
I assume that just amerce gays for propaganda of homosexuality among the
teenagers is not enough. They must be prohibited to donate blood,
sperm, and their hearts must be buried deep under the ground or burnt
down with fire in case of car crash and eventually death as these
hearts are unsuitable for anyone.

I hope you'll take notice of my message. B.t.w. as i don't have his feedbacks like official facebook page i can't send him this. I wish someone could share some with me.

Steamboater

Posted Sun Aug 11th, 2013 9:48pm Post subject: Sochi Olympics

Judy Harris said:
I am neither gay nor Jewish. As a human being I am ashamed of what other human beings can do to each-other. Is there a petition that can be set up to urge for the Olympics to be boycotted?

Actor George Takei of the 'Star-Trek' TV series has an online petition to move the Olympics to Vancouver, Canada where facilities are already in place to host the winter Olympics.

http://globalnews.ca/news/767168/47000-people-geor.....vancouver/

P.S.

Posted Fri Aug 16th, 2013 10:57am Post subject: Sochi Olympics

Dear Steven, let me express my gratitude for your letter to Olympic Committee. It's a great relief to believe that somewhere out there is a civilized world where human rights and human dignity do mean something. I've had to leave Russia few months ago after consecutive abuses and threats from Russian nazis. Who can believe that this is actually happening in the 21st century in a European country? People of Russia prefer to remain deaf and blind to the abyss where the regime drags it. Racism, homophobia and religion obscurantism are just the beginning of it. People like you help them to stop and think, at least some of them. Now I'm moving to the UK to study filmmaking and use my voice to speak for those who can't do it living in their own country. Thank you again and wish your words are heard by those who represent the "Free world".