Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 8:31pm Post subject: Some questions about Seroquel usage from a 'Seroquel virgin'
Hi everybody,

I am currently trying to integrate Seroquel into my medication cocktail for the second time, ( for the insomnia and agitation aspects of BP II ) - but it seems to have both pros and cons, as per any medication.

I feel it would be useful if I was only required to take about 100mg at night, but I am being recommended by my G.P. and Consultant that it works better if split AM/PM - and at higher doses. If I do this I sleep almost round the clock !

If I do take even 25mg in the mornings, I cannot engage in theraputic activities like weightlifting, due to muscle weakness, or music - because I keep falling asleep again !

Therefore my questions are :

1) Anybody else take it just at night and still feel some benefit(s) ?

2) Did the overall tiredness eventually wear off after several weeks for you ?

3) What dose do you take ?

4) Do you feel it has had any anti-depressant benefits ?

5) Have any of you actually got more anxious on higher doses of this stuff ?

Thanks for considering these questions : - )

F.F.

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Fri Mar 9th, 2007 4:21am Post subject: Some questions about Seroquel usage from a 'Seroquel virgin'
Hello! I am on 400mg so let me assist you.

1) Anybody else take it just at night and still feel some benefit(s) ?

I double up my dose and take it at night- it has helped with the psychotic aspects of my manic depression.

2) Did the overall tiredness eventually wear off after several weeks for you ?

No, sorry.

3) What dose do you take ?

400mg.

4) Do you feel it has had any anti-depressant benefits ?

None whatsoever, I'm afraid.

5) Have any of you actually got more anxious on higher doses of this stuff ?

Yes!

Seroquel makes me extremely anxious so I am taking medication for anxiety too. Psychosis is quite a feature in my illness so I do need an antipsychotic but I don't tolerate Olanzapine or Haloperidol.

I don't like the sleep I get with Seroquel, it is very creepy-crawley before nodding off.

Fourth Feline

Posted Fri Mar 9th, 2007 12:12pm Post subject: Some questions about Seroquel usage from a 'Seroquel virgin'
Thank you very much Miss Seaneen. I was especially reassured by the fact that I am not the only one going through horrendous anxiety states and severe feelings of dis-association on Seroquel.

With my BP II and mixed states, I tend to have a side salad of anxiety and obsesive ruminations - so when suddenly the objects around me started to become 'unreal' I naturally was very scared. Thankfully, I have recently discovered your excellent Blog via this site and I remembered reading a comment which read something like:

" are these my hands, is this chair real "

That helped me feel not alone, so thanks.

As I do not 'officially' get psychotic, I am on Depakote 500mg TD for mood swings, Moclobemide 300mg TD for Depression and Valium 5mg 2-3 times a day for the anxiety.

I was asked to try Seroquel to help with the insomnia and also stop me getting so angry ( with possible legal consequences ) which was not previously my usual persona.

I have tried Flupenthixol and Olanzepine, - but they ruin my abilty to play the guitar, as my motor skills and hand co-ordination goes awry with those.
At least Seroquel allows me to play when not I'm not too depressed to do so, which is usually quite a lot as you will appreciate.

I sign off with warmest wishes for your own ongoing mental health. Please give Hobbes a kiss from me x

Regards,

Derek.

shatzi

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 2:48am Post subject: Some questions about Seroquel usage from a 'Seroquel virgin'
Seroquel knocks me out completely. I was given 100mg tablets. I actually take it as a sleeping pill if need be. The one thing I HATE is the severe dry mouth. I keep waking up at night, if I take one before bed, so dry I feel like I can't breathe. I cut a pill into quarters and take one and that's enough to knock me out.
My Wellbutrin keeps me rather hyper and kills my appetite (good thing) but I have trouble sleeping, this is why doc prescribed it along with the Wellbutrin.
At least a bottle of Seroquel lasts me for a very long time!

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 12:48pm Post subject: Some questions about Seroquel usage from a 'Seroquel virgin'
Thanks for that input shatzi,

I now have more to report from my own situation/consultant in case it helps anybody else:

Firstly I agree that it's greatest use is as an effective sleeping pill. Contrary to ( but not in dispute with ) Miss Seaneen, I love the sliding decent into sleep, and clarity of dreaming once there.

It initially gave me greatly increased anxiety states at 100mg morning and night, plus I was knocked out all day. My consultant has since found research data that confirms it can be taken effectively at night only. Contrary to the drug company claims, it's 'half -life' is longer than first thought - or at least it's therapeutic benefit runs well into the next day. Longer term it is reputedly found that ( for some) it can actually reduce anxiety.

I was told to go back to 50 mg at night only and add increments of 25mg when the anxiety side effects had receded. I am going to 'hold' at 75mg for a couple of weeks, then up to the final holding dose of 1000mg at night. I tend to find that sudden jumps in dosage of anti-depressant or anti-psychotic medication can trigger severe anxiety states. A slow change seems to avoid most of the trauma.

I have to take Diazepam 5mg twice a day for the anxiety. ( G.A.D)

I had noticed that my mood had lifted a bit since taking Seroquel ( it was suspected my anti-depressant Moclobemide had become less effective after 2 years ). The consultant showed me additional research that confirmed Seroquel acts as an effective adjunct mood lifter when used with an otherwise failing anti-depressant. It is even suspected to lift mood on it's own.

How true or effective this will prove to be should be known in about 2 - 3 months.

Meanwhile, at least insomnia is a thing of the past for me . I just have to resist the 'munchies' !

Regards to all,

Derek.