Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

The_daft_avenger

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 7:56am Post subject: Song Lyrics
A Good few years ago the marvellous Mr Fry told an anecdote on the radio about a friend of his who had told him a story of a woman who had managed to get the words to Lucy in in the Sky with diamonds completely wrong. Instead of the girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes, she was habitually singing the girl with Colitis goes by, Now this was I believe my mother that was being referred to and she was mortified to hear this on the BBC World Service. Would love to know two things. Who told him the story originally - although I think I know the answer to that and also what other wonderful cock-ups are there out there for song lyrics.

Panja

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 9:25am Post subject: Song Lyrics
I've only ever heard that during a stand up comedy routine about misheard lyrics, but I can't think of who it was right now. The only lines I can remember were "Lucy's in a fight with Linus", "The girl with Colitis goes by", and "Don't let your son go down on me" X-D I really wish I could remember who it was!

WhyGenTom

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 12:16pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
'Off He Goes' by Pearl Jam on one of their live CD's, they mess up the ending an Eddie Vedder says 'I always thought that song was a little long anyway'.
same CD... 'Betterman' and he messed up in the intro and says 'I would never do that... I'm a proffessional! I practice!'.

'Misheard lyrics' on YouTube has an interesting interpretation of the song 'Yellow Ledbetter'. Really good, have a search for it :P.

- Tom

alley

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 12:53pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
go to youtube and type in missheard lyrics should make for an interresting evening/night

karen m

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 1:00pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
i got distracted by the chipmunk songs on you tube hehehe esp soulja boy

Red Raven

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 1:48pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
The part in Ledbetter where he says "make me fries" made me spit my coffee clear across the room. That is freakin hilarious!!

Panja

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 1:56pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
The first misheard lyrics video I saw on youtube was this one and it remains my favourite so far.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 2:00pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
I knew someone who was half convinced that Thin Lizzy's Killer On The Loose was actually Gorilla's On The Roof.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

alley

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 2:11pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ
my fave

JSKanga84

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 3:01pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
my fave

X-D X-D X-D That's my fave, too.

ratoutofhell

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 9:40pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
The archive of misheard lyrics

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

The website name is taken from a mishearing of Purple Haze - the line "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" heard as "Kiss this guy"...

Anyway. Good website for a bit of a browse - though some mishearings are funnier than others.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

ysabella

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 11:38pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
The only one I can think of that I genuinely misheard was from "Adia" by Sarah McLachlan. I thought it was "Adia, I'm mental since you left me," but it's "Adia, I'm empty since you left me."

Empty, mental, whatever.

Another famous one is "Slow Motion Walter" for "Smoke on the Water." X-D

Oh, and "Alex the Seal" for "Our Lips Are Sealed" by the Go-Gos.

Lexie

Posted Fri Apr 18th, 2008 11:45pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
Will Young ' I think i better leave right now' always makes me think it's 'I think i better deep fry now.'

Panja

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 3:41am Post subject: Song Lyrics
my fave
lol yeah that's my other favourite, I couldn't think of the name of the song to find the video

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 7:52am Post subject: Song Lyrics
I think I heard that Jimi Hendrix's "Kiss the sky/Kiss this guy" thing was deliberately ambiguous, rather like the way the Shamen song "Ebenezer Goode" was largely an excuse to get the phrase "E's are good" into a song that could be played on the radio.

A DJ on Capital used to do a show based entirely around misheard lyrics and one of my favourites is Michael Jackson's first line in the song The Girl Is Mine, which I now can't hear any other way:"Every night she wash my in-betweens."