Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 10:23am Post subject: Song Lyrics
I actually still hear "I Predict A Riot" as "I Predict A Fry Up".

And no, it's not a reference to our beloved patron's love life.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Sun Apr 20th, 2008 11:42am Post subject: Song Lyrics
When I was a teenager and had started to learn English in school, I listened to the songs of Neil Diamond. I tried to record them on cassette and in order to get the lyrics I had to hear them again and again, always stopping the tape and writing down the text which it - I must say - could have been. I forgot about it until several years ago I started to buy CD's and was very surprised about a song called: For ever in blue jeans. Up to this day my personal title was: Reverend Blue Jeans" and I was very impressed by such a cool title!
It's really not so easy with foreign languages but fortunately today it's much more easier to find the correct lyrics.
On the other hand I had a real problem with a German lullaby. My mother always told me that I refused to listen to it and she didn't know why. The text is telling about someone lying in bed (of course, it's a lullaby), above him/or her roses and the person is covered with 'nails' - at least, that's what I got The diminutive form of the German word for 'nails' is 'näglein'. I was really afraid because I could not imagine that anyone could survive the night in a bed with nails (even small ones).
One day I had a conversation with a very old lady and she told me that the word 'näglein' is a very old German word for the flower 'carnation'.. I really had to gave a sigh of genuine relief. My daughter now knows about it but she asked me: Isn't it a little bit silly to cover the bed with carnations? But that is another question .....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 22nd, 2008 8:52am Post subject: Song Lyrics
How about this one? My mum once suggested it was "I'm blue da-ba-dee I will die in Aberdeen. I will die. In Aberdeen I will die."

Shyamz

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 6:26pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
I've never been to Aberdeen, is it that dangerous?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 23rd, 2008 8:36pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
Kind of unrelated but still funny: I remember David Baddiel making a comment about people who took the song "Sit Down" by James literally and sat down on the dancefloor if a DJ played it. He said "Imagine what they would do if you went with someone called Eileen and he played Dexy's Midnight Runners?"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 9:35am Post subject: Song Lyrics
Bumped 'cause I realised the last thing I wrote was an edit rather than e new post.

Occy

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 11:05am Post subject: Song Lyrics
Not even close Im afraid

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 6th, 2008 1:27pm Post subject: Song Lyrics
Not even close Im afraid

Wrong thread Occy

Occy

Posted Wed May 7th, 2008 9:51am Post subject: Song Lyrics
oopsies...

The_roof_is_leaking

Posted Thu May 15th, 2008 3:08am Post subject: Song Lyrics
I'm forever hearing and reading things wrong but the only lyric I got wrong (that I can think of right now) is, "I feel good, I knew that I would now". Which I sung as, "I feel good, I knew that I wouldn't". *lol* My mum laughed and told me the right lyric! I knew it didn't make much sense the way I sung it, but that's just how I heard it!

And if I can be slighly off-topic here and mention two other things which my parents constantly remind me of!

There's some car advert that says, "Unmistakably German", and I've always heard it as, "Unmistakably drunk"
I was doing a puzzle book and the clue was "Duty roster" which, somehow, I read as "Dirty rooster" - I was just about to ask my mum what it could be when I realised I read it wrong! *lol*