Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

lawrencebotha

Posted Wed May 9th, 2012 10:17am Post subject: South African constitution threatening LGBTI rights

This is disgusting:

https://oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/south-africas-shocking-consitutional-review-of-its-sexual-orientation-rights/

I'm appalled our constitution is even entertaining this idea. After how liberal our constitution is, on a global scale, they're going to take a step back to biblical times? Ridiculous and saddening :/

If you know any South Africans, please forward this Avaaz campaign on to them:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Protect_our_const.....th_Africa/

Nitro

Posted Fri May 11th, 2012 12:21am Post subject: South African constitution threatening LGBTI rights

There can be a real backlash against various groups in a society during tough times and 'austerity measures' and general doubt and chaos. Racist and bigoted groups and secret societies get a jump in successful recruitment.

In the states, a bigot majority in north carolina passed a law which has legally defined indefinitely that marriage between same genders is officially illegal ( and therefore, punishable ). It also makes civil unions of any kind between heterosexuals illegal and unrecognizable, which means two adults living together 'as if' married have zero rights. You're either legally married, now defined as ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN (emphasis theirs ) or you're not. No other relationship under law exists.

Of course, this will likely result in law suits brought against the state and the law itself probably be struck down by the Supreme Court as that H8 bill in California was. Still, that it requires the expenditure of funds and time in the courts because of some rabid, mentally frothing politicians and their fearful constitutents, in a time when extra money is scarce as it is, really makes me shake my head.

We just don't seem to learn. The formula goes 'tough times; fear and panic; destruction; reconstruction; profit; utopia; tough times; fear and panic etc etc. And endless loop of forgetting and relearning.

I have heard that SA is indeed a very scary place for homosexuals right now and for whatever reason, lesbians are particularly being targeted. Homosexuals in the states are reporting an uptick in assault and battery.

No idea what's going on in these peoples heads at all. It used to be easy to chalk it up to religious ideation, but I've met enough non religious haters of homosexuals to know it's not just something that can be blamed on god or allah or whomever. And I've found a lot of the people who are fearful of homosexuals are also fearful of feminists are also fearful of...well... just about anybody outside their social norm.

Fear breeds hate, hate breeds bigotry, bigotry breeds violence, violence breeds death. Yeah, technology has really saved us from ourselves hasn't it?

Really? Wow.

joan

Posted Fri May 11th, 2012 2:08am Post subject: South African constitution threatening LGBTI rights

Well at least in the USA Obama has been brave and come out as personally in favour of same sex marriage.

As for Africa - it is like that throughout the continent: female genital mutilation is rife, misogyny, homophobia, tribal hatreds, religious intolerance - horrible. I wouldn't even want to fly over the continent, let alone go there.

Yet it is so very beautiful. Shame.

I think homosexual Africans have good reason to seek asylum elsewhere.

joan

Posted Fri Aug 3rd, 2012 11:38pm Post subject: South African constitution threatening LGBTI rights

And things don't get any better, do they? So much misery in that continent.