Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Sub-Level28

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 5:20pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

I've seen A LOT of cheap spam threads while looking around to see good stuff to read on here and frankly it's annoying me.
You all know what they are, those electronics sales things all of which looks like a massive scam.

So to help Stephen, Andrew and the guys at The Positive Internet company get rid of and ban and delete this arsegravy... Why can't we have a report spam button? I can't find it.
Because having this clutter up the boards just makes it look cheap, ugly and retarded.
I have run a board/forum myself and this crap got shot down fast and brutally and in the best RPG fasion we on that made the war against spam into a protecting the base against incursions. The board was based around a Sci-Fi show and we had it set up like the base in that show and our way of running it was like they did it on the show.

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

Nitro

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

I think the idea of a report spam button is great. How do you keep it from being used on threads that are NOT spam?

Really? Wow.

Sub-Level28

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 6:21pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Well. The spam report button only report it, the mods then needs to go read it and make the judgement if it is spam.
And normally a posters history will tell the admins/mods if it is spam. As spammers usually just post dirge anyway.

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Oct 1st, 2009 6:37pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Spam button? Would it look like a Python? No? Suit yourselves.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 11:00pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

How about if it looked like a can of Spam?

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 11:31pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

I try to ignore them, because by replying to them with an xxxx off then they just go to the top of the pile again.

Surely you should be able to have a 'report' bit you can click on to refer the post to a mod or if you have any other concern about a post or comment left...all the BBC blogspots have them.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

PamJH

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 3:35pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Something convenient like a spam button? Wow. That would be lovely but I'm not holding my breath. There are a lot of spam posts on this forum that don't get removed.

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 4:09pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Yep, and they look dreadfully ugly on the site of someone who's so vocal about new technology.

Really? Wow.

Soph

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 6:43pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

To a new onlooker to the site the amount of spam that's present must make the forum look a little disorganised. And for those using the forum it is nothing short of annoying. I have been on other forums that take spam more seriously and is dealt with, I think the forum would advantage from having an 'report spam' button. The likelihood of getting this installed, however, is slim.. (*hides for saying that*)

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Sun Oct 4th, 2009 7:27pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Soph said:
To a new onlooker to the site the amount of spam that's present must make the forum look a little disorganised. And for those using the forum it is nothing short of annoying. I have been on other forums that take spam more seriously and is dealt with, I think the forum would advantage from having an 'report spam' button. The likelihood of getting this installed, however, is slim.. (*hides for saying that*)

Never hide for speaking your mind, Soph. What would happen to the world if people didn't stand up for what they think is right? And that goes for small matters and as well as more important ones.

Soph

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 12:17am Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

PamJH said:
Never hide for speaking your mind, Soph. What would happen to the world if people didn't stand up for what they think is right? And that goes for small matters and as well as more important ones.

You're right, Pam. Thanks. I do tend to feel awful after I write anything that might make someone else feel a bit annoyed. Especially here, since it's recorded.. No edit function either. Hum dee dum..

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 5:03pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Well, Soph, you should see me when I get going. Well, Nitro has seen it and so has Maxx, and they'll tell you it isn't pretty. I, too, deplore the lack of editing capabilities, preview capabilities, the inattention to our questions and problems, etc. I fully expect to get tossed from this forum at some point.

TheElephant

Posted Mon Oct 5th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

Don't do it Pam.

One martyr should be enough.
Will be out this evening, but I'm more than ready to sacrifce myself for the good of the community.

As a long term user of many forums, I've never understood what benefit there is to anyone being a pain in the arse. Here though, I feel the users are actually too nice. The people in charge need to get their act together, or amdit that the forum isn't a priority, rather than pussy footing around pretending things are being sorted out when they blatantly aren't.

I'll be back later. will take whatever the online equivalent of a huge breath is, and then let rip.

Apologies in advance to all mods. I know it's not you're doing.

PamJH

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 6:38pm Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

What's so lovely is that if I want to see if this thread updates I either have to go looking for it or favorite it. But favoriting threads doesn't always work. I have favorited several and have not received updates. Or the update I receive concerns the post I just made. That's handy.

Hopefully we won't get kicked off here. Stephen seems to be quite vocal about causes he supports and things that tick him off. Perhaps that quality is also appreciated on this forum.

And to the mods: None of this has to do with you.

Mrs D

Posted Sat Oct 10th, 2009 10:44am Post subject: Spam Threads/Topics

I have to agree here, especially with Soph's comment about how the forum appears to a new user (that's me!! ) I have had a brief look at the Technology section and it appears to be completely filled with adverts for ruddy mobile phones. Yes, I know I can ignore them, but it would be much nicer if they just weren't flippin' well there!!

Yes, we definitely need a 'report spam' button (whether it look like a can of Spam, or one of Stephen's little toes ) and they really need clearing out. As an Admin member/Moderator on another forum, I completely understand what a pain in the bum it is to have to do all the housework/spam clearing, but honestly, once it is done thoroughly, it is much easier to keep it up to date, and then everywhere will look spick and span and we will all stop grumbling.

Come on Mods, please have a little tidy up and make this an even lovelier place to be (I would even offer to do it myself for a modest fee - say, some Jaffa cakes and cup of Twinings........ )

I definitely talk too much.........please feel free to tell me to shut up - I almost never take offence!