Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Firlefanz

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 8:51pm Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
Hello all!

I am in the lucky position to travel to Chicago in march all on my own for professional reasons and I will spend a couple of days there just for fun.
I wondered if anyone has suggestions of how to pass the time most enjoyably?

PamJH

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 5:03am Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
I don't know much about Chicago nightlife because I've always gone with my kids. But the city has many museums, art and otherwise, plus a wonderful observatory, theaters and Shedd Aquarium (which is pricey). I'd check the city's tourist bureau Web site, too.

If you like shopping, just take a hike down Michigan Avenue or Navy Pier. It has stores galore, all different kinds.

We have a limited budget when we go, so I like to time the visit with museum free days and the like.

I hope you have fun. What a wonderful opportunity for you.

Pam

Katrina

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 11:43am Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
I agree with everything Pam said, there are awesome things to do during the day. I'd check the websites for the museums and the Shedd to see what's there right now, but I can vouch for the fact that they're usually always great.

I don't know much about the nightlife, either, since I'm only 18 and can't really do anything, but I've heard it's a pretty good scene. Above all else, you MUST get yourself some deep dish pizza! I always go to Giordanos (there are several locations around downtown), but any pizza place will probably have it.

Let's see... it's deathly cold right now, so Navy Pier will be a challenge, but I think it's a fun place to go anyway. If you want to see a really big, kidney bean-shaped sculpture thing, you can stop by Millenium Park. And like Pam said, definitely take a walk down Michigan Avenue, just to say you've been there. It's fun to look at all the expensive stuff even if you have no intention of buying anything.

How are you getting around the city, out of curiosity? If you're not driving (which is more trouble than it's worth), the El is totally fine, I've never been raped or mugged or shot at or anything, and it's really easy to follow.

You may not be all that interested in baseball or football, but there are always Wrigley and Soldier Fields to walk by, if only because they're in movies and on TV a lot (I just happen to be obsessed with Chicago sports).

If you've only got a few days, by all means, do the tourist things and have a lot of fun! It's clean, pretty friendly, and pretty safe if you stay away from the wrong places (duh!). Chicago is the best city in the world (in my biased opinion X-D ), and I hope you have a great time!

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

Firlefanz

Posted Tue Jan 20th, 2009 8:11pm Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I'm going to enjoy it a lot!

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Jan 21st, 2009 6:21am Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
if you want to do something random for kicks go to medieval times restaurant and watch the jousting. its really rather silly but fun at the same time.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Jan 21st, 2009 2:26pm Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
if you want to do something random for kicks go to medieval times restaurant and watch the jousting. its really rather silly but fun at the same time.

I did that in Orlando and had a fantastic time. HUZZAH!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

michael

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 7:47pm Post subject: Spend one week in chicago!
when in march? i think that may be well away from baseball season. which is toooo bad cause wrigley field is i've-died-and-gone-to-heaven experience. even if you don't like sports.

it's not just me bein biased, most all baseball players and many non-baseball people say it's got something special

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name