Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gjhsu

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 10:23pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
Funny, at the time, I was just getting dings via twitter text message about this, and I wrote in to the usual Fry twitter channel. And now that little escapade is all over the news.

Are we, as his fellow twitterers worthy of being a part of these events? Are we a part of something much bigger than ourselves (that is to say, by association to Stephen)?

Surely not

Goes to show the media can make a seemingly small event seem so big, grand, and larger-than-life.

Soph

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 10:29pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I have to admit I want him all to ourselves ! I don't want to share him with the press. xD

Photobucket

ClareBear

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 10:40pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
ordeal, lol.

Hope

Member *

Posted Wed Feb 4th, 2009 10:52pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I'd love to be stuck in a lift with Mr. Fry!

I do feel for him though - long day, just done speech, want to go home and relax, get stuck in lift with lots of people you don't know. Remember something in Paperweight about how being famous you have to appear to be cheery even if you are a bit pissed off, which I would certainly be if I were stuck in a lift.

Still, I have a feeling if I was with him I would fangirl about no end.

PamJH

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 4:29am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
As a newspaper veteran, I'd say it isn't news in the important sense, like a war or famine or a drug bust, but it's the type of story people want to read. It's funny, quirky and makes good lunch-time chat. I know I enjoyed it.

Django

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 5:57am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
As a newspaper veteran, I'd say it isn't news in the important sense, like a war or famine or a drug bust, but it's the type of story people want to read. It's funny, quirky and makes good lunch-time chat. I know I enjoyed it.
Stephen getting stuck in a lift is more relevant to me than half the drivel published in our deplorable newspapers.

There's nothing wrong with an uplifting story that elevates ones mood. (i smell a pulitzer)

I'm sure twitter was very happy to be indirectly in there with stephen, as were we. : )

PamJH

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 10:00pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift

Stephen getting stuck in a lift is more relevant to me than half the drivel published in our deplorable newspapers.

There's nothing wrong with an uplifting story that elevates ones mood. (i smell a pulitzer)

I'm sure twitter was very happy to be indirectly in there with stephen, as were we. : )

You're right on all three counts, though I've never read a Belgian newspaper.
Incidentally, my kids (but not me, sadly) were on a school tour and spent a couple of days in Belgium. They gorged themselves on chocolate and even remembered to bring me some. They said it's a beautiful place.

monochromeprincess

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 12:16pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I was just wondering how they took that picture.

@dreamingshadow

Queen Marge

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 2:39pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
The title of this thread 'stephen and the lift' made me think of 'Peter and the wolf' X-D

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 3:18pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I was just wondering how they took that picture.

Yeah, I was wondering if someone else was in there who snapped it. Maybe it was all done with mirrors.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

TheChainedWolf

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 4:39pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
The title of this thread 'stephen and the lift' made me think of 'Peter and the wolf' X-D

Are you sure that it has nothing to do with my user name?

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Feb 12th, 2009 2:32am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
The tweets associated with this had me giggling so...at least it brightened my day.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 8:40am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I think this is the first German newspaper article about Fry and the lift.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 2:13pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I was online at the time it happened, and I must admit it was great fun at the time. But I do agree with Hope, I truly felt for him after such a long day. I believe, just my personal opinion, all of the people in the elevator with Stephen are actually a part of his entourage.

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 10:24pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
My Google alert has shown me a number of articles making catty comments about this subject. Either they think our Mr. Fry is being self-aggrandizing or say Twitter's paying him to do all this stuff. Not very nice either way, though I, of course, understand all about that free speech and free press thing. I wonder why they just don't ask him if he's being paid (which I don't think he is. He's such a tech geek and Twitter is made for people like him) and have done with it. Why cast snide aspersions? As a journalist, if I had a question, I asked it.

I'm just a tad annoyed.