Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I haven't done a google search, thank goodness, because I would probably feel the same way that you do. But even if they were to ask the question, it is really a no win situation for Stephen. If he says he isn't being paid to promote Twitter they fall back on their self-aggrandizing position. Either way, Stephen comes out looking like a bit of a whore (sorry, we are PG-14 right?). I would rather that they don't address Stephen directly, and let him say whatever it is he wants to say about Twitter on his own. I don't want to see him put in a position where he feels he has to defend himself. Let them say what they want, people will still follow Stephen.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 10:50pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I was just wondering how they took that picture.
See, even from the first time I saw the picture I thought it looked like the guy in the bottom right was holding out his left arm so that he could take the picture with someone's (Stephen's?) camera phone. They can see the image in the phone screen so they know that they are all in it, and it also sort of explains why Stephen is bending down a bit to get in the picture. Just my thoughts.

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 4:39am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I haven't done a google search, thank goodness, because I would probably feel the same way that you do. But even if they were to ask the question, it is really a no win situation for Stephen. If he says he isn't being paid to promote Twitter they fall back on their self-aggrandizing position. Either way, Stephen comes out looking like a bit of a whore (sorry, we are PG-14 right?). I would rather that they don't address Stephen directly, and let him say whatever it is he wants to say about Twitter on his own. I don't want to see him put in a position where he feels he has to defend himself. Let them say what they want, people will still follow Stephen.

You're right in a way, but as a journalist who has tried to be fair and impartial during her career, I don't think it's right to print speculation. I don't care if you're a reputable news source, a trashy tabloid or a random blogger. It isn't fair to the person under discussion and for me, it ruins the medium's credibility (whoever or whatever it is). This means that I am unlikely to read anything by that medium. I'm sure those newspapers don't care what I think, so my ignoring them won't do much good. But there is strength in numbers. If enough people ignored these unreliable media sources, then they'd disappear or change the way they do business.

And yes, people will follow Stephen anyway. I mean, just look at us!

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 1:07pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
Okay, good point. I wasn't really thinking of it from a journalistic view point, but a more emotional (Fry lover X-D ) view. I do see what you are saying. I am willing to join a boycott.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 9:57pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
"that guy in the bottom right" is our glorious webmaster, Andrew.

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 10:15pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift

Well, that explains it.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 17th, 2009 11:11pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
Sorry, didn't mean to sound disrespectful. So can he confirm if he is, in fact, taking the picture?

ClareBear

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 9:57am Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
Yup.

Nitro

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 4:07pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I'm not sure which idea is more disturbing. The idea of being stuck in a crowded elevator, ( for any length of time! ) or actually having 'an entourage'.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Feb 18th, 2009 8:42pm Post subject: Stephen and the Lift
I'm not sure which idea is more disturbing. The idea of being stuck in a crowded elevator, ( for any length of time! ) or actually having 'an entourage'.

The elevator part would get me. An entourage is there to do your bidding. I have plenty of work for an entourage to do, believe me.