Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ann

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 2:59pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Hello everyone!

I am one of the people who was interviewed by Stephen for this program. Although (as far as I know) I won't be appearing on the telly program, I am one of the five featured on the BBC website.

Stephen and the production crew spent over three hours at my home - which was condensed into a mere two and a half minutes for the end product. A little disappointing, perhaps, but... oh well!

Talking with Stephen was an experience I'll never forget. After the first few minutes I felt as though I was talking to an old friend. He truly is a wonderfully kind and gentle man - down-to-earth with no airs and graces.

In the film, he reads portions of my blog, which is hosted by the wonderful people at AIDSmeds.com. I've been a member of the AIDSmeds forums since 2001 and I am also a forum moderator there and I spend a lot of time in the Am I Infected forum, answering questions about hiv transmission and testing.

If anyone would like to read my blog, including the entire entry Stephen read for the camera, simply go to http://blogs.poz.com/ann/ The entry he read is the one dated 19/02/2007

I haven't updated my blog in quite a while, but I will be doing just that very soon - maybe even today.

Ann

*edited to correct a faulty link

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 12:08am Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Thank you Ann.
I'll head over there and check out your blog.
So glad to see you here.
-b

Tourmaline

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 12:42am Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Thanks for sharing those links Ann, just watched your online appearance (or as near to watching as my browser will allow) and read your blog entry, which led me to some of your previous blog entries, which stirred up the social housing nerd within me before noticing you're based on the IOM.

I've never visited the Isle of Man, I have acquired the impression that it's a more conservative society than many parts of the UK....is this really the case? Or do I have a narrow and/or outdated view?

And I was so happy to read this in your post here:

Talking with Stephen was an experience I'll never forget. After the first few minutes I felt as though I was talking to an old friend. He truly is a wonderfully kind and gentle man - down-to-earth with no airs and graces.

I hope HIV & Me has a similar impact to SLOTMD. Stephen comes across onscreen as such a sweet, understanding man, the perfect presenter.

asamaki

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 1:00am Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Cheaking out blog now Ann, thanks for the link

Pongo's Mum

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 3:48pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Tourmaline - check out the laws on IOM first, especially on homosexuality, plus the birch is still on the books. We nearly moved there, my partner and i, my partner was offered deputy gov at the nick.

We didn't go, as a lesbian couple we were afraid.

Do your research first, get lots and lots of opinions. Much luck!

Tourmaline

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 8:17pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Tourmaline - check out the laws on IOM first, especially on homosexuality, plus the birch is still on the books. We nearly moved there, my partner and i, my partner was offered deputy gov at the nick.

Yeah, I remember it was only in the 1990s that homosexuality was decriminalised...the birch thing is a bit (well, a lot) creepy though

IOM was the favourite place where my primary school would organise a study trip/holiday to. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to go, so it's always kept some of the childhood-innocence free-spirited sunshiney happy-place-I'd-like-to-visit vibes in my mind. I like to think they'd still be there on IOM, even if they need some work in unearthing them

Ann

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 12:55pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!

The birch is NOT still on the books. I've been living here for over sixteen years and it's not been on the books in all that time - it was taken off years earlier.

While the Rock isn't the most gay-friendly place in the world, it's not the worst by far either. You might be interested in having a look at the Manx Carrey Friend organisation - http://www.gayinfo.org.im/home.htm

It is a pretty crappy place to have hiv though, from a treatment and health-care perspective if nothing else. I have to travel to Liverpool to take care of my hiv related needs. The system they have set up over here leaves a LOT to be desired.

Ann

katysara

Posted Tue Oct 9th, 2007 1:24pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and... Me!
Thanks for both of the links Ann. I will be checking them both out. You are very lucky to have met the great man himself! I hope you are doing OK with your illness - I know a bit about it, but not from personal experience. I found the first episode of HIV and Me very moving indeed. I guess I am one of those people who is old enough to remember the scary AIDS adverts of the 80s, even if I was just a little kid. I had no idea how bad the situation is now, and I can't wait for the second episode. The first had me in tears...

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com