Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

crockhamtown

Posted Mon Nov 21st, 2011 9:58am Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

Stephen's university success was down to his knowledge about Shakespeare.

Does anyone know whether he has expressed any views about the "who wrote Shakespeare" controversy?

TomHRXi

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 6:57am Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

nope i don't think so

JamianM

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 9:09am Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

crockhamtown,

I recall listening to Stephen casually mention something about the Shakespeare 'controversy' in a talk he'd given. I have a sneaking suspicion that it *may* be the talk between Christopher Hitchens and Stephen, which can be found on YouTube.

JamianM

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 9:24am Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

Wooo... guess what I just found? A short talk (4 minutes, 54 seconds) given precisely on this subject, along with the transcript. crockhamptown, here's the url:

http://60-minutes.bloggingshakespeare.com/

Now, you need to sign up to a list toward the top of the page in order to receive the content. It seems absolutely legit; it's sponsored by an organization called the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. Once you're done signing up and receive your confirmation e-mail, you'll have access to many Shakespeare oriented talks on the web site. Stephen's particular talk is near the very bottom of the page. Hope that helps.

JamianM

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 9:25am Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

chrisprobert

Posted Tue Feb 14th, 2012 10:19pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

crockhamtown said:
Stephen's university success was down to his knowledge about Shakespeare.

Does anyone know whether he has expressed any views about the "who wrote Shakespeare" controversy?

chrisprobert

Posted Tue Feb 14th, 2012 10:28pm Post subject: Stephen Fry and Shakespeare

It's total class arrogance from the upper-classes to think Shakespeare couldn't write his own plays.The chap had a perfectly decent education( would you in 200 years time think Frank Cotterill Boyce unworthy of screenplays but Prince Edward wholly capable?).The fact is Shakespeare was not well read he put people and places all over the shop, mentioned folk 300 odd years before they were born, pulled in sea-ports 200 miles from the shore and as land-locked as could be. He stole from Ovid, his friends, and god-damnit his sworn enemies( look up Robert Greene from whom he took " The Winter's Tale from his " Pandosto". The joy is in the words , the trip of the tongue, the vernacular,etc, to paraphrase, Shakespeare was born in Latin yet died in English, and this is why we love him