Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

vincedeporter

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 6:05am Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
Hello Everybody!

I thought it would be nice to have a thread that would permit us fans to express ourselves artistically.
Of course, it would be an honor if Stephen Fry could see this himself.
In the meantime, feel free to critique my work, and by all means, add yours too!

Enjoy!

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 9:11am Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
@ vincedeporter

This looks really interesting. I saw it yesterday on Twitter, too. But I'm not quite sure how you are doing these pictures. Is it completely your work or do you take a photo which serves as a basis for further modification?

vincedeporter

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 5:30pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
@ vincedeporter

This looks really interesting. I saw it yesterday on Twitter, too. But I'm not quite sure how you are doing these pictures. Is it completely your work or do you take a photo which serves as a basis for further modification?

I use the Norman Rockwell technique; Instead of a slide projector, I place a photo in Photoshop, on a layer. Then, I add another layer, and use the Photo as a guide. The rest is drawn and/or painted by hand, albeit digitally (on my tablet).
I use custom brushes I have created in the past years, often scanned from real brush strokes, to get the texture I desire.

So these pieces were in fact inspired from photos found on the web.
However, I work in many different mediums.

I'm an illustrator/cartoonist for DC Comics and Nickelodeon Magazine, amongst others. Feel free to surf my website!

I hope this was informative!
;0)
Vince.

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 5:46pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
[quote="vincedeporter

I hope this was informative!
;0)
Vince.[/quote]

Yes, of course, thank you very much for your comprehensive information
Did you ever try to do this using black/white pictures as your basis? You mentioned the texture and I wonder how the effect would be in this case. At least, I sense that it could be rather positive, too.

vincedeporter

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 6:23pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
[quote="vincedeporter

Yes, of course, thank you very much for your comprehensive information
Did you ever try to do this using black/white pictures as your basis? You mentioned the texture and I wonder how the effect would be in this case. At least, I sense that it could be rather positive, too.

Yes I have! It can give some interesting results too. I use the "adjustments>replace color" in Photoshop to select different shades of grey, then apply a color to them. The results can be really amazing!
Cheers!

vincedeporter

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:34pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
Hello from Arizona!

I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me if Stephen Fry reads these posts occasionally? I just wanted to see if there's any chance the art would be seen by him...

Cheers!

Midsomerlover

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 5:40pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
Hello from Arizona!

I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me if Stephen Fry reads these posts occasionally? I just wanted to see if there's any chance the art would be seen by him...

Cheers!

He does read it from time to time but he (obviously) never reveals himself. You might want to try and tweet him about the art, when he's online he'll definitely tweet back.

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

vincedeporter

Posted Tue Jul 7th, 2009 6:22pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art
[quote="He does read it from time to time but he (obviously) never reveals himself. You might want to try and tweet him about the art, when he's online he'll definitely tweet back.

Thank you very much! Cheers! javascript:emoticon(':D')

veniciangirl

Posted Sun Aug 23rd, 2009 12:44pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

Very nice!!

\"Photobucket\"

MajorDennisBloodnok

Posted Sun Sep 13th, 2009 7:39pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

one could do with a good tweet

Military idiot and former plumber's mate

Volkeshere berebackter, kabloong un kablootsiempire grung dang!

(sorry all all nicked from the www)

fryfan20

Posted Tue Feb 16th, 2010 11:01pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

very good paintings
hope you don't mind me borrowing one for a vid I'm making (found if through google)

I am what I am

vincedeporter

Posted Sat Aug 7th, 2010 9:00pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

fryfan20 said:
very good paintings
hope you don't mind me borrowing one for a vid I'm making (found if through google)

Sorry for the ridiculous delayed answer fryfan!!! In the meantime, I went through a horrible divorce, a move, and... well... a LOT of crap! LOL!
YES -- of course you may (and hopefully have by now) use this art! My pleasure! ;0)

roman m

Posted Fri Aug 20th, 2010 4:55am Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

I did a ton of sketches while watching QI, he is in fact pretty hard to draw despite the very prominent features.

Ian Ellery

Posted Sat Aug 21st, 2010 9:48pm Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

Hello all.
I've been a Stephen Fry admirer for many years. I am a professional illustrator and have never drawn Stephen but was nudged by the pics above to have a go this afternoon. Here is my effort:

I hope to do a fully painted version soon. If you like it come and say hello on Facebook - where you can see more of my work.

Please come and say hello on...Facebook | Website | Twitter

Corpulent_Porpoise

Posted Wed Jun 1st, 2011 9:29am Post subject: Stephen Fry Art

I didn't realize this thread existed! Here's my Stephen Fry and my Edna Fry