Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

meadhbh

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 3:24pm Post subject: stephen fry coming out ?
hello everyone
i was just wondering does anyone know how and when stephen fry came out as being gay ? and how did everyone take the news ?
i have tried to find this information on the internet but didnt get anything
thanks
xxx

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 3:52pm Post subject: stephen fry coming out ?
I am probably not the best person to answer this, as there are many more knowledgeable Fry fans than I here, but since I am online when the question was asked I will try to answer. To the best of my knowledge Stephen has always been very open and public about his sexuality. By that I mean, I believe that even while attending Cambridge he was known to be homosexual and it was reflected in some of his writings and performances even then. So there was never any real need to make a public announcement at some point after making a name for himself in show business. At least that is the way I think it worked. In other words, Stephen never had to come out of the closet as an adult, because he never pretended to be anything other than what he is. One of the many reasons he is rather admirable, in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to the website.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 5:21pm Post subject: stephen fry coming out ?
Oh, lemme think . . .

*thinks*

I think he said that he "came out" to his parents when he was 17 or 18 and they were understanding and supportive. He suspected they knew anyway. As far as coming out to the press, Emma Thompson had said that Stephen was 90% gay and 10% other in an interview. Maybe she came out for him X-D

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

meadhbh

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 8:04pm Post subject: stephen fry coming out ?
thanks for replying
xxx