Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 7:51am Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me

I'm sure Mr Fry's program will go a long way to help lift the stima, along with the contributions of those of us who participated in the program. After all, it's one thing to be hiv negative and put yourself in the public eye talking about hiv, and another thing entirely to actually BE hiv positive and do the same. I can only hope my own efforts will not have been in vain.

Ann

Ann, rest assured that your own efforts have not been in vain.

I draw my hat to all those who participated in the program. I cannot begin to imagine how they manage to cope - not only being faced with a fatal disease (and suffering the side effects of medication they may have been put on to keep it under some sort of control), but also having to put up with the prejudices and even THREATS from members of the public (what is this world coming to?). An act of bravery! Their positive attitude, perseverance and courage should be inspiration to all those who have to cope with a lot less...

dammit john

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 12:55pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
The "gift" bit made me want to vomit, I really hope it was a myth, I wonder if Stephen believed it or he was just doing the appropriate 'shocked' action for the camera...

And "eat more beetroot", eghh please, its pathetic, the Government have the money to help but they dont seem to care.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 1:16pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
That bit got me as well. It was really hard hitting, i mean i knew it would be but it still shocked me.

Pongo's Mum

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 3:45pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
This was a brilliant doc', as you'd expect from SF.

The young teenage girl who was HIV+ , I was suprised to here SF was shocked at the abuse she got?

We are two gay women (the only two in the village! I suspect.) And our neighbours are down right hostile. Yes we've called the police, who i must say were very good, but ignorance is out there alive and kicking, and living near us. Four neighbours. Incredible. But true.

C'mon Stephen?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 4:03pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
got it. want it? 462mb

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Ralph Corderoy

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 6:39pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
And "eat more beetroot", eghh please, its pathetic, the Government have the money to help but they dont seem to care.

The actions of the South African government would seem to be a crime against humanity, both in their actions causing attributable harm, and on the scale of that harm. I think I've heard this argument made before; anyone know if I'm getting confused with something else? And when are they going to be indited?

Cheers, Ralph.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 10:37pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
got it. want it? 462mb
[size=7]yesprettypleasewitheverythingontop!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Ann

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 12:43pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
The "gift" bit made me want to vomit, I really hope it was a myth, I wonder if Stephen believed it or he was just doing the appropriate 'shocked' action for the camera...

No, unfortunately it's not a myth. There really are bug chasers out there and you can find them on the internet. I know quite a few positive men who have had conversations with these people. Thankfully, I don't know any positive men who obliged them. They've all been disgusted and bemused by the request to "poz" another human being.

In a way, this term could also be applied to people who continue to have unprotected intercourse with people whose hiv status they are not 100% sure of. Bug chasing, playing sexual health roulette - all pretty much the same thing when you think about it. The outcome is potentially the same.

To the bug chasers I say: Be careful what you wish for!

Ann

ROTAVATOR DUDE

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 2:19pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
thought the scenes where SF went back to visit the hospital where his friends once were was quite sad, one could nearly see into his thoughts when the camera stayed on his face for a while...touching.....
As for the South African government officials....hang your heads in shame.....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 3:53pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
got it. want it? 462mb

Yes please Fryphile! As you all know I live in Poland so not only did I miss it, I'm unlikely to see it here in the current political climate.

dammit john

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 4:58pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
No, unfortunately it's not a myth. There really are bug chasers out there

I was hoping that bit wasnt true. There are some really vile people around, I don't understand it at all.

I read a review in the paper yesterday (I was on the tube, might of been the metro paper), saying that its a shame because the age that the documentry is aimed at are unlikely to have seen it.

Meaning that 20 somethings don't watch Stephen Fry on TV or documentries?...HMMM? ( I'm 22) I don't really think it was aimed at younger people anyway. Or was it?

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 10:27pm Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
Message to everyone, I thought. He was telling people that nearly everyone could be at risk, and it's not just a disease that homosexuals can get.

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 7:58am Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
I watched it yesterday on youtube and was very impressed by the openness and frankness with which the topic was treated. My deepest respect to everyone who contributed to the documentary.
Germany is a lot like Britain these days when it comes to HIV and safer sex. Though HIV has been a big issue in schools and public education since the 80ies there has been a rise in infections over the past decades. Many people here display a similar recklessness when it comes to their sexual behaviour, they won't use condoms and HIV isn't a threat to them. A documentary I saw last week mentioned that people nowadays react in no way as shocked as people back in the 80ies when they are first diagnosed. The fact that with new treatments infected people have the chance to live longer than 10, 15, 20 years ago seems to have created the illusion in some that AIDS is treatable and is therefore no longer a death sentence.
I don't know any people with HIV personally, thus I have no personal knowledge of the abuse they experience. But I bet many are as shunned and abused in Germany as they are in Britain. This is a disgrace for our societies who call themselves modern and educated, and almost makes me cry in anger and frustration. Germany's society has reached a lot over the past decades when it comes to gay rights and the acceptance of homosexuality. But there can be huge chasms between the public acceptance and personal attitudes, say, in a small village. And as long as those dumb people abuse gay people they will abuse people with HIV / AIDS since they see the disease mainly as the "plague of the gay".

A great documentary which I hope has many, many viewers.

Yes please Fryphile! As you all know I live in Poland so not only did I miss it, I'm unlikely to see it here in the current political climate.
Could you explain that a bit further? What is Poland's public attitude towards homosexuals and HIV?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 8:36am Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
I don't know any people with HIV personally, thus I have no personal knowledge of the abuse they experience. But I bet many are as shunned and abused in Germany as they are in Britain. This is a disgrace for our societies who call themselves modern and educated, and almost makes me cry in anger and frustration.

One of the patients (and he happened to be a straight haemophiliac who had contracted the infection through some blood transfusion...) in our trial told me that he once was told by more or less a complete stranger that "it served him right as he had brought the disease on himself"
Would anyone ever say to someone having been diagnosed with for example colon cancer "well, serves you right, because you could not be convinced to go on a high-fibre diet?" What is the matter with our societies?

And yes, please expand on the situation in Poland, Mr Steed...

MinervaMoon

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 9:41am Post subject: Stephen Fry: HIV and Me
The Wikipedia article about "gift-giving". Enlightening and horrifying.