Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

matt dawson

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 8:28pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
Hello to all.

I thought for my first visit I'd share a caricature illustration I've just done of the estimable Mr. Fry. If you have the time and inclination pop over to my blog to take a look:

http://mattdawsonblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/stephen.....-that.html

I'd love to hear what people think of it.

Thanks, Matt

AHisme

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 8:32pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
I love this. X-D Though I don't quite understand the nose..

bardess

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:39am Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
Stephen is the perfect subject for caricature and I think you have captured him superbly. Well done

Soph

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 3:50pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
I adore this. The colours and shades, shapes, textures, the facial features - It's spot on perfect !
How did you make it, what programe did you use ?

Photobucket

wooden_elf

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 3:52pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
Oh my! It's brilliant!

matt dawson

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 8:40pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
Thanks to everyone who has had a shufty / replied to the post. I'm really glad if you liked the illustration!

Cheers Soph... in answer to your question I used Photoshop image editing software and a Wacom digital tablet (you draw on a pressure sensitive tablet and it appears on the screen as you draw) to create the pic. If you look on my blog (19_10_08) you can see the original sketch I scanned in to use as my underdrawing reference. After painting and drawing the face over the sketch I googled for Stephen's clothing reference then searched again for high resolution images of tweed, corduroy and wool (3 words which sum up Stephen Fry !!!:) which I 'digital collaged' into the final pic. The text behind him is actually a scan of Moby Dick in paperback (There is no significance to this choice of book, just the first one to hand. I suppose in hindsight it should have been a Wodehouse novel or even Moab is my Washpot). I copied the text, flipped it and overlaid it so you see text but cannot read it. That's it Thanks for taking an interest. When I get round to it I'd like to take a stab at doing a Jeeves and Wooster illustration... I think it will be a challenge to get Hugh and younger Steven right!

Soph

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 1:41pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
Ah right, I've been thinking of getting a digital tablet, I haven't yet tried my hand at the world of digital art but I certainly think I should. And I've just taken a look at your other works, they're very impressive. Interested to see a Jeeves and Wooster illustration in the future. : ]

Photobucket

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Oct 26th, 2008 4:34pm Post subject: Stephen Fry illustration
i love it, he's captured very well.

I love this. X-D Though I don't quite understand the nose..

it's bent just as Stephen's nose is bent (well, maybe not that strongly bent...)